Got my first spotlight!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a little time to walk around today and guess what I saw, a spotlight. $24.95. "FIVE MILLION CANDLEPOWER!!" oh of course. Let's try this baby out. I've had a newfound fascination with crazy bright lights recently and felt this might be worth my time and $$ (fortunately, not too much $$) to add to my collection.

I bought one and took it home, lit it up and guess what?

(Before we get to the goodies, no, I cannot get the Thor locally. Shipping one in would cost me a fortune, far more than the light's cost.)

My U2 Digital Ultra and *SUREFIRE P90* laughed themselves into the next week - this 5MCP spot puts out ~120 lumens. I'd be laughing too except that it's just sick? I mean I KNOW the MCP ratings are way overrated but I didn't expect the U2 to have the last laugh. It's a little brighter than the P90 but it gets stomped by the U2 that I brought to the store with me! I bought it to keep the Mag85 company and the '85 completely steamrollers it flat. I'm serious, this thing's beam and output resembles the Mag85 - BEFORE I MODDED IT!

This poor light needs help, lots and lots and lots of help... oh and guess what? they claimed it was a 100W bulb. I'm sorry but I have trouble believing that. Really. My adventures with the Osram Silverstar H4 automotive bulb and a 12V voltage-regulated 350W power supply have shown me what real 55/60W's are capable of and this doesn't even hold a candle to it.

The good thing about it, however, is that it promises to be easy to mod. I'm thinking that for starters, it needs a real bulb.. and real gel-cell SLAs if possible. It has two gel-cells in series for 12V, maybe I can get one nice solid 12V Yuasa SLA and replace it. I use the Yuasa cells in my UPS systems and they are pretty decent.

The fundamentals are kinda somewhat there, I should think. The wiring seems ok, maybe good for up to 8-10A (guesstimate). It's an extremely simple design, classic battery-switch-lightbulb circuit, with an additional port for the dumb unregulated wallwart charger for the SLAs. Believe it or not the circuit is resistored. The light can be used while on the charger. Comes with car charger as well.

Outer plastic housing is cheap and cheerful, but functional. More importantly, the reflector is a big metal dish, that has a flat center that almost seems perfect for mounting a Lamina LED array for 500 real lumens out of a spot, AND awesome runtime with one of George's drivers. There is a generous amount of space aft of the lamp, where you could stuff the driver. This info is for the LED people, I don't plan on doing this conversion myself.

Forward, the lens is one BIG massive slab of glass, perfect for glass freaks like me. Realistically, I feel that this light IS mechanically configured for a high-power bulb, just that whoever built it wimped out at the last moment and used a hopelessly underpowered bulb. I think the bulb is a H3 and I forsee a Phillips Rally 100W bulb in my future. Not legal for use on public roads, but nobody said anything about its use....on foot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (ie. me walking and carrying the light).

Hmmmmmm....that sounds very unreasonable for the claim. They should make that false advertising on flashlights illegal.

Well, I look forward to a mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Hallis: Pix below. BTW, congrats on your Mag85. There is seriously very little that can top that light.

MaxaBaker: Yeah, I was honestly quite shocked. Even after charging for a while it's only a bit brighter than the P90 in the ceiling bounce test. I suppose they measured 5mcp with the lightmeter 10cm away or something. I did notice that thanks to the truly massive bezel, it has an extremely tight spot. I love the bezel, but that's about the only thing to love about it.

I just called a friend about the location of a nearby car shop, I think I'll take a hike and visit them tomorrow. One H3 bulb coming right up...

According to the Osram datasheets, their 64151SUP part number should deliver 1600 raw lumens +/- 3% at 55W nominal. Quite annoying isn't it? I have a "100W" bulb that doesn't do squat. 1600 lumens should be fair game with my Mag85 (1200 raw lumens) instead of the '85 walking all over it. The '85 still wins in terms of size though!

Spotlight pix : http://kevin.htgk.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Spotlight

Draw your own conclusions.. I have included some photographs of my Meterman 34XR DMM on "Max" mode and you can clearly see the 1.53 amp and 12.62 (open circuit) voltage readings.

Wierd, worked last night. Anyway, here are some of the pix:

Marketing at work:
aaa.sized.jpg

Even bolder marketing - how can the thing be waterproof with vent holes?
aab.sized.jpg

5MCP! The sticker says so!
aad.sized.jpg

But the reflector still is beautiful:
aag.sized.jpg

It's a H3 bulb all right:
aah.sized.jpg

4 amp hours (wonder if I can do anything about it):
aai.sized.jpg

1.53 amps:
aaj.sized.jpg

12.62 volts (went up to 13.5 later):
aak.sized.jpg

Sure as heck ain't 100W - 1.53 x 12.62 is just 19.3W.

that is an HID mod DYING to happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

Wow..something is wrong with an H3 only pulling 1.5 A....but the main thing is that spotlight is screaming "MOD ME !"

Send paypal or send parts and I'll make it happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was thinking of the Havis-Shields when I bought this, but I don't have enough $$ for that, so I figured let's go for the cheap n cheerful route first with a high powered incan.

I'd like to retain the charge-in-place capability and the ability to run off a 12V external source (as opposed to batteries), too. Any recommendations welcome. At the moment I'm thinking of simply replacing the SLAs with larger packs and the bulb with a Philips or Osram H3 'cool blue' 55W. I'm not going for 100W yet because I want the longer runtime and the 15V, 500mA wallwart probably takes overnight to top off the SLAs.

PS: Java_man, it was quite funny to see the "energy saver" part on the box. Perhaps that's the reason? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The first thing I did after lighting it up and being totally underwhelmed was rip it apart and see whether I could mod it..and I can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well, I got it done, for all of $10 for the bulb. Actually, I bought a two pack, which means I have one more bulb left over.

I have discovered car parts shops can be a flashaholic's best friend especially if you enjoy playing with high output, high amperage systems. I noticed that they have many switch cores available, with 12VDC-10A and 12VDC-20A ratings, and very nice switch actions, whether you want a lever, rocker, or otherwise. This is cool, now I know where to look for my ultra high power mods. They are meant for car dashboard mounting, to control various high-wattage accessories.

I bought a Philips VisionPlus "+50% more light!" bulb, also because it was cheap. The thing about coatings is that while they are nice and raise the CCT, they also rob light, and they are more expensive. I've easily discovered that I can spend a cool $80 on a pair of freaking bulbs if I wanted to, going all the way up to 140W. I decided to save it for another day.

aal.sized.jpg

Above is the OLD stock bulb and below is the second Philips bulb (its litter mate has already been installed in the light). You can clearly see the differences in engineering, the first bulb has a tiny little filament that ain't worth a crap, the second bulb has this awesomely big filament that reminds me of our favorite WA1185. And guess why the first bulb has no connector at the end of the 'tail'? The bulb is so poorly made that when I attempted to unfasten the connector, it came right off in my hands! OUCH!

But wait, the fun doesn't end there. Check out the original bulb's lettering:

aam.sized.jpg

H3-12V 150W /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Truthfully it is H3-12V 1.5A!

Anyway, the conclusion is, with the new bulb installed the spotlight is finally a worthy companion to my Mag85, it puts out the light that it should, it is brighter and whiter than the '85 possibly due to the little bit of very light blue coating that Philips put on the tip of the bulb. A check with the 34XR DMM confirms that it is pulling something in the region of 4.7A x 12V nominal, which is around 56W - its actual RATED wattage. The beam is still horrible, with more artifacts than a Mag, but I think I'll tackle that another day.

I think they forgot the decimal point between the 5 and 0 on that bulb wattage. That looks like a Thor 3.5 MCP knockoff. A 12V 9Ah SLA will fit in the back to replace those 2 6V batts (for brightness and runtime). And you may need to back the bulb out of the reflector a hair to focus, but I like mine fine. The bulb makes a HUGE difference. I'm glad you were able to find a Philips replacement bulb. From what I've found the Philips bulb seems to be a lot brighter than others. I can't seem to find them at any autopart stores in my area. Mine puts about a 6 inch beam of light all the way to the clouds! (if they are low enough! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

MaxaBaker: you send Paypal, or the Philips D2S kit and ballast, I am quite open to donations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif PM for paypal address, both non-CC and CC accepted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Scoob: That's great news about the 9AH SLA! I've never met the Thor in person so I would have no idea, but then again I've heard there are many generic lookalikes floating around. Maybe I can try a 100W bulb, once I get the 9Ah SLA. 55W LOLA, 100W HOLA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Currently, mine is 2x6V 4AH in series, so I only have 4AH capacity.

It's kinda strange that you can't find the Philips, I thought they were very common. My first choice was actually an Osram (Sylvania in the US), because it was easier to find datasheets on that one, and I like to know what I'm buying beforehand. Didn't find an Osram though.

If all else fails, try http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ . They ship international and prices are all INCLUSIVE of shipping. They also sell the Philips Rally H3 100W bulb you're after. I have bought from them once before, a pair of Osram Silverstar H4s.

Did you measure the current and voltage of the new bulbs? You may be surprised. After that, you will likely sign up for the Newbie mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, or go HID and never go back to Incans.

Kevin,

Don't forget that little filament is you friend when it's comes to throw the larger filament will add to the side spill and make the light much brighter and you can muscle you way out to a point but it's going to harder to focus for throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later
Kelly

Sway, sorry for this off topic post, but what does "MaxaBeam slush fund total" mean? Are you saving for a MaxaBeam?!

mqqn: thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cheesehead said:
Did you measure the current and voltage of the new bulbs? You may be surprised. After that, you will likely sign up for the Newbie mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, or go HID and never go back to Incans.

[/ QUOTE ]

A check with the 34XR DMM confirms that it is pulling something in the region of 4.7A x 12V nominal, which is around 56W.

First, I need a bigger SLA, then I need a better SLA charger, then I can think about exorbitant excesses like HID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the Thor boost board I thought Newbie is pretty busy.. will see about it though.

BTW, nice story about the koala bear in the other thread. Maybe next time you need high velocity .223 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

KevinL,

Go HID, you'll save the money you'd spend on a new battery, but obviously getting a proper float charger is important. Headlamp assemblies from wrecked cars are on ebay, and depending how long you look, you can get them for as little as 50-60 bucks.

Yes, even now, thinking about that koala bear, scares the cr*p out of me. Some nights I wake up screaming in terror.