Green Laser Newbie

sbk

Newly Enlightened
wolfensteinx if you want pictures of the laser beam on the sky, there is a few on my website here on the laser page. But these pictures were taken with my laser and it puts out more than 5mW (between 40 and 100mW).

wolfensteinx

Newly Enlightened
thx for all the help. but i just wanna know how those the MOD-2 from z-bolt.com compare to the Leadlight from abeland1.com.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a GREAT experience with wickedlasers.com
I got a 40mw laser from him and it's REALLY bright.
There was a recent review on his and what is unique to his mod is that
the current draw is less than the other mods... They draw 300ma
which the diode can handle versus something like 500mw. This
is more efficient for the laser and saves it from damage AND you
get good run time. Of course the other sellers are also good like
abeland. But wickedlasers has a unique product /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uisgdlyast

Newly Enlightened
the current of a laser as it leaves the factory is around 280mA though...

I think all wicked does is have lasers that measure higher to begin with(like Atlas Nova's) and then just turns the pot up

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
yeah, i'll try to take a picture of my laser in the sky. i'll get it in here as soon as i can. but from my experience...i can point out stars and things perfectly. but yeah, it works great for star pointing...and i'll try to get a picture in here

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
While I'm sure that looked really cool, please be careful about dotting airplanes. That could make the gummint really angry... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
yes, i know...but i probably wont do it again...i just wanted to see if my laser was actually capable of dotting an airplane, like many people advertise. and, now i know that it's possible...i no longer need to prove anything.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Being able to touch the clouds with my greenie was an amazing accomplishment for me. It only works for me when there's low cloud cover, and I always look and listen for planes first, but it was very cool to be able to do it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
what is the power of your greenie? do you actually see a dot on the cloud...or do you see the beam get brighter?

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
This could make the gummint really angry. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't kidding. I work for the gummint. I got lased once on duty (its an occupational hazard). I drew my gun, aimed in at the source and put my finger on the trigger. If that beam had gotten anywhere near my eyes, bullets would have been going downrange. . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Be smart.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
In my area, there is just too much light pollution.
Even a 57.6mW green laser won't leave a visible spot on the bottoms of low clouds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lightraven said:
[ QUOTE ]
This could make the gummint really angry. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't kidding. I work for the gummint. I got lased once on duty (its an occupational hazard). I drew my gun, aimed in at the source and put my finger on the trigger. If that beam had gotten anywhere near my eyes, bullets would have been going downrange. . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Be smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on! Misuse by a few inevitably results in no use for all. Freedom requires responsibility, directly proportional to the power involved. Let's be CAREful out there, eh?

mastertop

Newly Enlightened
hum.. i cant bielieve that you can point an airplane.. (and see it!!) .. ...

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mastertop said:
hum.. i cant bielieve that you can point an airplane.. (and see it!!) .. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe anyone would actually do this! Pilots of low-flying aircraft have enough to concentrate on. Believe it...don't try it!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When you're on the ground you can see the lights on that low-flying aircraft, and those lights aren't even lasers. It stands to reason that you'd be able to see a dot from a green laser. So don't try it! Like 2dim said, pilots have way too much on their minds already, including the safety of themselves and their passengers, to have to worry about catching glints from ground-based lasers in their eyes!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

mastertop

Newly Enlightened
ok but the sun is stronger than a green laser pointer, (I can see the moon but i dont think i can point it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
But you don't look directly at the sun. Plus, the sun lights up the terrain below quite brightly, while with the laser at night, it's the only thing a pilot might see, and it would at very miminum ruin his or her night vision.

You don't want to cause a plane crash because of your laser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Airplanes do not have brakes - not when they're in the air anyway.

mastertop

Newly Enlightened
HUm.. ok.. at what height do they fly..? do you think that they see the beam? If it is just a dot, the dot could just go under the plane..??

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That would depend greatly on the type of aircraft and your proximity to an airport.
Generally speaking, figure they fly at between 500 feet and 32,000 feet. Quite a range there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif