Gruesome Walking Dead Zombie Merge Horror. Which flashlight would you EDC?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whole lotta posting without pictures going on! (Yes yes, I know this is a merged thread)

M60 in 6P body with XM07 tailcap, 9P with M61

I've rearranged my SHTF/zombie lighting setup. I acquired a Malkoff MD10 this week and so my M961 has become my go to weapon mounted light. I also put my M61LL in my 9P and the M61 found a new home in my 6P. The M60 now rides on my backup carbine in a 6P.

So...

M961 on my rifle w/ MD10
6P on my belt with M61
9P in my pack with M61LL

I'll take a pic and post it tonight.

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
Light attracts zombies like crazy!!!!!

Don't forget your red lenses!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, an update.

I'd carry my HDS 140n [with XP-E], have my Milky modded E2L/Expurgator [with neutral white XP-E] in my bag, and my new HDS 170n with 2xAA battery compartment as my weaponlight, mounted on my AR. Talk about runtime, lol.

scout24

Flashaholic
Here in 1/2 hour, my Paklite has been running on low for 63 days. 1512 hours. Now perfect for getting ready for work or midnight recon, enough to see just past your feet with dark adjusted eyes. eh4- so, you finally killed your already dead cell? :) I'm going to let this one die slowly...

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... It had to die. I stabbed it through the skull with some steel wool.

scout24

Flashaholic
Paklite on low now at 67 days. 1608 hours. Seems a bit silly doing 100hr updates at this point. It survived a trip to PF-18 over the weekend and just keeps ticking along. Other than bumping this thread, I'll just do milestone updates if it keeps going. Still bright enough for midnight recon and reading up close, but it is pretty dim at this point.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I quit when I could clearly see the colors and wires in the emitter on high. Still plenty good for map and compass, or seeing a hole at my feet in pitch black. Pretty cool light.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
Paklite on low now at 67 days. 1608 hours. Seems a bit silly doing 100hr updates at this point. It survived a trip to PF-18 over the weekend and just keeps ticking along. Other than bumping this thread, I'll just do milestone updates if it keeps going. Still bright enough for midnight recon and reading up close, but it is pretty dim at this point.

When it does finally give out, let us know whether the LED dimmed at all or just cut out completely off.

Then wait maybe 5-10 minutes with the PAK-Lite turned off, and then turn it back on and let us know how long (if it does turn on) the LED's are staying lit for after that.

I'm curious to hear about the performance since I've grown to like using my PAK-Lite for a few things around the house, and I'm looking into getting some more.

scout24

Flashaholic
2139 hours on low for my Paklite,89 days and three hours. Still just about enough light coming out to ready for work in the morning. I can navigate holding it at arm's length below my waist through my house. Finding things on my dresser in the dark from a foot away is doable. Enough light to read by if the light and book are close, say within a foot of your eyes. A bit dimmer than I like for this use, but usable. I'm retiring it from use, and just letting it run until it stops. :) I can't imagine a Lithium primary, this is the Duracell that it came with...

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
2139 hours on low for my Paklite,89 days and three hours. Still just about enough light coming out to ready for work in the morning. I can navigate holding it at arm's length below my waist through my house. Finding things on my dresser in the dark from a foot away is doable. Enough light to read by if the light and book are close, say within a foot of your eyes. A bit dimmer than I like for this use, but usable. I'm retiring it from use, and just letting it run until it stops. :) I can't imagine a Lithium primary, this is the Duracell that it came with...

haha! I knew it.
after a while it's just too frustrating, the question of "is the runtime enough?" is loooooooooooooooooong ago answered, sooner or later you just want that battery to DIE!
Great test, thanks for your patience!

if you put a multimeter on the battery and Pak-Lite you'd find a shockingly low mA and voltage.

edit, I reread and understand that you are Not ending the test, just not using it daily anymore, cool.
-what is the visible difference between high and low at this point?
when I ended my test low and high became more and more similar. I could look into the leds at the high setting and see the two wires plainly, as well as color differences from periphery to center, no discomfort looking into led.

Last edited:

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

One thing is for sure you're going to need a high CRI light to tell the living from the dead. ;-)
They all look dead in cool white or angry blue.

Ohh very true!

Heys you think zombies are affected by strobe? I know they have enhanced smell and exact to sound, but they still could be blinded IMO!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

Heys you think zombies are affected by strobe? I know they have enhanced smell and exact to sound, but they still could be blinded IMO!

I'm of the opinion that zombies must see less than we do. They have the same eyes as us, but less blood flow - if any. Therefore, they must be navigating mainly through smell and hearing in the dark, meaning that blinding them might not do much more than slow them down a little bit more. A strobe might distract them, though... until you move or make a sound. It's better to try than stand in the dark while they're getting closer IMO.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd have one backpack dedicated to light's and battery's, the light's would include three different types.

1. a strong high output CR123 light one of the following Eagletac T20C2 MKII, Malkoff MD2, Surefire 6P or Quark Turbo X. I've dragged Quarks around enough to feel like their plenty durable and a programmable light like the Turbo X would be great for choosing the right output and saving batterys.

2. A good 2xAA light like the Quark X 2xAA Tactical, I got to have a AA powered light no matter how many CR123 batteries I can initially carry on me, you never know how long your going to be in this nightmare so knowing I can raid something like a TV remote from some abandoned building or any of the other million devices that use AA's if a reassuring item. Plus one of the solar charges plus some Eneloops seems the way to go.

3. Most importantly I would want a really good headlamp, imagine surviving at night sitting around doing whatever the heck you would do you need some kind of light to do simple task like clean yourself, maintenance on weapons or reading a map etc.. You are probably going to be constantly exhausted so even if you have a light with moonlight mode are you going to have the energy to hold it while doing such task?

I would HAVE to have my Zebralight H501, not only is it a great lightweight headlamp with low lows it can double as a handheld light, it's AA so we can find batteries or use a solar charger and it only takes one cell.

scout24

Flashaholic

Coming up on 2570 hours for the pak lite on low. I can still read with it in the dark if it's a foot away from my book/ map etc. Very dim, but still making light... Feb. 9th seems like a long time ago... :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Coming up on 2570 hours for the pak lite on low. I can still read with it in the dark if it's a foot away from my book/ map etc. Very dim, but still making light... Feb. 9th seems like a long time ago... :)

Awesome!!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah it's crazy good long life, I'll bet that your 9V battery is under 5V now.
Makes me wonder if the leds are particularly good at putting out light at low voltage or not. If I had 25$ to spare I'd start gently peeling the Pak-Lite apart to look at it's guts.

scout24

Flashaholic

Duplicate post. Sorry!

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

The light that wouldn't die... Pak-lite at 3696 hours, Feb. 9th at 6pm seems like a lifetime ago... 22 weeks, or 154 days of continuous running, STILL good in the dark for reading from a foot away. Soft, floody beam. No way in hell I'm testing a Lithium 9v after this. More updates as they happen!

scout24

Flashaholic

The light that wouldn't die... Pak-lite at 3696 hours, Feb. 9th at 6pm seems like a lifetime ago... 22 weeks, or 154 days of continuous running, STILL good in the dark for reading from a foot away. Soft, floody beam. No way in hell I'm testing a Lithium 9v after this. More updates as they happen! :)