• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku XP-G

fyrstormer

Banned
Wow! :faint:

Very nice... I hope one day I will have the good fortune to have as many McGizmos as you... :crazy:
Thanks. :D The itch, it hath been scratched.

Anyway, this should give you a good size comparison. The LS20-TC is longer than normal, of course, but that's because I put it on a C-Pak. The normal version is roughly the same length as the XR19-PD. Other than that, everything's stock.

fyrstormer

Banned
I'll spare you the price tag, so you can continue to enjoy the picture. :D

These are all users by the way. There's no room for shelf queens in my collection -- though obviously it takes a while to cycle through them all. The Haiku has even eaten pavement twice, now. This photo should stand as a testament to their durability.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very happy with the Haiku XP-G!!! I have grown into a fan of the UI on my Surefires and I prefer the memorization of the last level to the preset sequence on the Surefires.

Well done Don! It took me awhile, but I have a feeling that I am going to enjoy this one for a long time.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Very happy with the Haiku XP-G!!! I have grown into a fan of the UI on my Surefires and I prefer the memorization of the last level to the preset sequence on the Surefires.

Well done Don! It took me awhile, but I have a feeling that I am going to enjoy this one for a long time.

Nice beam eh Bill? :party:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hello all,

I am getting agonizingly close to firing off an email to Don for my first McGizmo. Still hunting for the perfect EDC light, hoping this will be it! If not, then I guess I will be just be a :broke: guy still searching.

Question: Is the output on the warm xp-g basically the same as the cooler tinted xp-g lights? Roughly 8, 55, 185 on the three levels or so? Or is some output lost with the warmer tinted emitters? Thanks for your help. :)

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: Is the output on the warm xp-g basically the same as the cooler tinted xp-g lights? Roughly 8, 55, 185 on the three levels or so? Or is some output lost with the warmer tinted emitters? Thanks for your help. :)

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXP_B&L.pdf

Check page 32 for cool white R5 139 flux

Check page 35 for warm white R2 114 flux

So yes some loss.

I'm very happy with the XM-L.

Frank

nbp

Flashaholic
If you find it that'd be cool. :)

Those numbers are quite acceptable to me.

Glad you're here to follow me around and answer my questions Jason. ;)

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you find it that'd be cool. :)

Those numbers are quite acceptable to me.

Glad you're here to follow me around and answer my questions Jason. ;)

I honestly have no idea where I saw or heard that? Maybe I got it in a PM? Try PMing Dan (Run4JC). He did a awesome review of the Haiku XP-G and he has a light sphere. He also has owned or owns the XP-G warm so he may be able to fill you in with any question about the light in general including output.

nbp

Flashaholic
A very very kind member sent me his BB Haiku xp-g warm to play with and test drive for a few days to see how I like it. (Thanks brother, :) :bow: )

I have had it now a few hours, and had some chances to examine it and play with it. Some of my observations:

Man, is this thing beautiful! Really a work of art, Don. :eek:oo:

It's small! I knew it was about the same size as the Ra Clicky, but it seemed larger in the pictures for some reason. Once it was in my hand, I was like, wow, this is really compact. The ergonomics are awesome, it feels so good in the hand. I would have no problem EDCing this size light, it just disappears clipped on my pocket.

That brings me to the next point: the clip. Clipped on my jeans pocket is where I like my EDC light. And this clip is SOLID! Definitely one of the better clips I have used, and by far the best looking. This light is not going anywhere. Almost a bit too tight, it can be a little tough to shove it on the pocket one handed. But given the choice between loose and likely to fall out and a bit stiff, I'll take the stiff clip.

UI is simple. Three modes, nicely spaced. It just works. No muss, no fuss. I like that. Back to the basics. I just want it to work. Reliability. Yes.

Beam is nice. Good tint, soft hot-spot, lots of smooth floody goodness. Slight ring at the edge of the spill, could be a little smoother, but only when wall hunting. I still need to take it outside and see how it does in a larger area, but overall, I like the beam and think that it is a good balance for EDC purposes. My purposes at least. The warm tint is more neutral than warm to my eye, but I was comparing it to an HDS Hi CRI and a neutral MiNi AA, so that's my perception. However, that's not meant to be a dig at all. I think that it is a very pleasant hue, and compared to my cool lights, it definitely is warmer. I still need to try it out on more surfaces, such as greenery outside, but I'm pleased.

I'm sure I'll think of more as I play around with it, but those are a few of my thoughts so far. Don, nice work. :thumbsup:

nbp

Flashaholic
I received my Haiku today. It is gorgeous! Unfortunately I am having trouble with it. I cannot seem to change modes reliably. It mostly will stay in one of the higher modes, and occasionally jump to low, but not often, regardless of how many soft clicks I perform. It just doesn't seem to want to cycle through the three levels correctly. I have used McClickies in several of my lights and was able to borrow a Haiku from another member last week to test, so I am fairly confident in my ability to change modes properly. Please tell me this is a simple thing to remedy. I am extremely disheartened.

My only explanation is that I have some sort of electrical field that surrounds me and sends flashlights into some freaky state of confusion. I don't see how else I could manage to cause 4 HDSs, an Aeon, and a Haiku to go haywire. Maybe I need to stick to maglites. :sigh:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
nbp,
What battery are you using and is it fresh? I ask because the converter will become difficult to change out of high level when the battery gets low on power. The warm XPG-LED's seem to typically require more power than the stock bin I use and this can add to the issue. You need a very short off duration to change levels.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hi Don, thanks for the quick reply. I am using a new Battery Station CR123. I pulled it out of my tray of fresh ones, so it should be ready to go. I will try a few different new cells if you think it would help.

nbp

Flashaholic
I tried multiple different batteries, all fresh and got similarly erratic results. If I keep soft pressing, I might get something like: H H H H H H H H H H L M H L M H H H H H H H H H. You get the idea. Could it maybe be the switch? Can they work themselves loose somehow and create sketchy mode changes? I haven't really looked to see how it's mounted in there or how it is adjusted yet.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I really don't think it is the switch. It could be but I really doubt it.. I test every light at a few stages on the bench and then when it is complete and I use a SF primary that is not fresh but lasts quite a while as it is only used for some quick cycling through levels. My gut guess is that if you tried a fresh SF primary or a R123 cell you would not experience this issue. I realize this is an unfair thing to say as regards fresh Battery Station CR123's and especially as it is just a guess. Further I would guess that if I dropped the drive level to the LED in your LE it would perform as it should with the batteries you are using. All guesses. You are more than welcome to return the light if you wish. I am very sorry you are having this problem and at this point, I think I am going to have to stop offering the warm XPG version without some warning or perhaps just drop the drive level which further drops the flux, relative to the stock XPG version. :( :shrug:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hi Don,

I'm sorry too that this issue is popping up occasionally. I certainly do not mean to be a thorn in your side here, or be the cause for the discontinuation of this emitter and tint. :sigh: I ordered this package because after using one, I think it is really good! It would be a shame to not have the option of the warm xp-g. I have a local source for SF primaries, and if you think that it might solve the issue, I will go pick some up and try them. I would rather not have to return the light unless it is necessary, I want very much to use it. If it comes to the point where nothing is working, perhaps you would be willing to swap this one's LE for a cool xp-g? But only if it comes to that. I will try to get some SF cells tomorrow and see what happens and report back. Again, I'm sorry for the hassle. :(

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear nbp,

At first I too was disheartened when I first received my Haiku XPG from Don simply because I was not familiar with the clicky interface of the light. Fortunately I do use Surefire primaries and also AWs R123a and initially using boths batteries the operation was a bit funky. Initially I thought the operation was L-M-H-M-L. However the switching was never smooth. This is what I did, I wipe down the threads and the head with cleaning alcohol and applied Nyogel 760. i wiped the threads again with cleaning alcohol and again applied the Nyogel. I did this a total of 3 cycles. Then I started to click away. After apoint I realised, in order to change the level smoothly, it takes just a fraction of a time in the off position. Having this light for a week now, I can now use the light as it should be and appreciate all its glory. Maybe the Nyogel did not have an effect whatsoever but now i can change the levels without much anxiety. Ome thing for sure, this light has a very smooth clicky and since I had it, it has not failed to switch on or off only missed switching levels. IMo low battery level do not have the effects as described in the threads, its just the timing of the clicky one must get it spot on. Still After all this I am very happy with this light, no complains thus far.....

Latest posts