Hands down best quality single cr123 light.

Marten

Newly Enlightened
Oooops!!!!
You are correct Leon! My eye only caught "EDC" in a few of the posts! So much for me paying attention... My humble apologies. I feel a right chump now :faint:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn I was getting excited there for a minute. I'd just be happy if they'd make a version of it you can put 2 primaries in instead. Thanks for clarifying.

carrot

Flashaholic
Lunasol 27. Don took everything he learned from making the McLux PD lights and made the best one of them yet. Two kinds of beams, an unmatched design, and a beautiful, jewel-like reflector.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well this is an interesting challenge - I've been pondering it all night in fact. The issue is how you define best quality ... and I think the OP is asking for the best quality balancing all relevant factors.

Still I have distinct favorites in particular areas and my thoughts are also informed by my use of my single CR123 lights as EDC lights - and I work in a business dress setting which leads to certain preferences... My favorite UI is the HDS interface - I still EDC my old Novatac 120P - it is modded with a K2 TFFC and the output is about the same as the current HDS lights - it has a PEU trit bezel and still works great so I've had little incentive to upgrade to a current clicky which doesn't bring anything significant to the table and given that I thought the Novatac was pushing the envelope for a reasonable pocket EDC light the bigger and heavier current models are heading in the wrong direction. I understand Henry's philosophy on robustness - but I'd trade a bit of bombproofness for a smaller form factor with similar build quality (not robustness but fit/finish) and the same UI...

While the Novatac has never failed me - if I were pushed to have only one light and had to count on it to work all the time - the more complicated Novatac/HDS setup may not be my first choice - the electronic switch, etc... would give me pause - I'd probably opt for my Surefire E1L. It just works, has two modes but is otherwise a pretty simple light. Surefire build quality - nearly as bombproof as the HDS lights (the bezel being aluminum being perhaps a weak point albeit a small one).

I have a Sunwayman V10r ti+ - neat light but I admit that the titanium body is what I like the most. The control ring, for me at least, is a neat but in actual use somewhat uncessary feature - I find myself at either low/high or some low/mid level pretty much anytime I use it and rarely am I making small adjustments to how much light I need. 2-3-4 levels works fine - arguably 3/4 being ideal given the upper end of modern emitters. But that titanium body... the heat transfer, the feel... I have several titanium framelock knives that are my primary daily users, my watch is titanium as are my glasses. I clearly dig the qualities of this material and think it is pretty close to ideal for an EDC...

If I have a problem customer service matters - Surefire and HDS are known for their excellent service and I've availed myself of Surefire's with great results. I don't know about Sunwayman - Novatac was helpful when I needed them but that was admittedly back when Novatac was HDS - not sure these days who is running the show - and one of my favorite EDC lights is an Arc6 which as we know is a true orphan these days...

I also like using RCR123's which is fine for most but is a knock on my Surefire lights such as it is.

This leads to a bit of a quandry - but in the balance if I had to pick one and price was not a factor - I'd probably say that the McGizmo Haiku is the single best quality hands down 1xCR123 based light. I would consider one of Mac's custom titanium lights a close second. I'd say the more aggressive driver setup and the fact that they are for all practical purposes unavailable to be somewhat of a disincentive. I do like the basic styling of the Ti-Tri EDC a lot. I also like that there are some driver options that give you four levels and the possibility of a real low low.

Anyway - here is what the Haiku does well - which is most everything. It strikes a balance from a UI and driver perspective of giving you reasonable light with a gorgeous beam for a reasonable period of time. It is meticulously well crafted and backed up by a maker who while a custom builder has the track record and the inventory to meaningfully service the light. All the parts are well tested, proven and demonstrated in the field to perform reliably every time you go 'click'. The titanium body is a work of art but a robust and reliable work of art. It is, in short, a very well thought out light that meets 3-4 standard deviations from the mean every need you might have for a light. It won't light up a field for a couple minutes on high - it does not have the most cutting edge UI. The UI is a reasonable one that is easy to understand and like so much about it - meets the needs of most if not the absolute ideal.

For me personally it has two issues - one is price which is what it is - the second is the absence of a really low low which I use a lot in my EDC lights. The nature of the platform is such that I suspect there is someone out there who'd program a 4 level light engine for it however so at least one issue may be gotten around.

I love the 1xCR123 form factor (have between lights and headlamps 8-9 of them and have owned a raft of them - and one day perhaps next bonus time I will have a Haiku.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Lunasol 27. Don took everything he learned from making the McLux PD lights and made the best one of them yet. Two kinds of beams, an unmatched design, and a beautiful, jewel-like reflector.

An interesting choice - I was fortunate to have participated in the passaround years ago of a Lunasol 27 and it was a neat light. And it did work quite well - and demonstrated for me that I would one day have to have a McGizmo. For me 1xCR123 is an EDC light and it was a bit big for pocket carry. I'd love to have a Lunasol 20 - but they are just too expensive on the secondary market these days. I have an Arc6 which is as close as I can get to a PD - and I do really like the PD setup as an EDC light.

tonkem

Enlightened
I have to second the E1L, as my favorite single 123 light. Tough light and I like the 2 modes versus the HDS(which I have owned in the past) as well as the TIR optic. After picking up the new E1L-A it is even brighter and longer run time that the prev model, although they have a new feature (green tint) that I am not a huge fan of, but the runtime on high and simple interface with the surefire toughness and warranty are hard to beat in my book..... Also love that it only takes one CR123 versus multiple batteries. It is the closest light to perfect I have found and of course as many if not all of you, I have owned quite a few lights.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone suggested any of malkoff's MDC variants yet? Or too new to vouch for quality/durability track record?

I'd think MDC-tac (250/15), or MDC-r (3/25/250) have got to be up there!

carrot

Flashaholic
An interesting choice - I was fortunate to have participated in the passaround years ago of a Lunasol 27 and it was a neat light. And it did work quite well - and demonstrated for me that I would one day have to have a McGizmo. For me 1xCR123 is an EDC light and it was a bit big for pocket carry. I'd love to have a Lunasol 20 - but they are just too expensive on the secondary market these days. I have an Arc6 which is as close as I can get to a PD - and I do really like the PD setup as an EDC light.

I do agree that the LS27 is a bit large for pocket carry though still doable but when I think about quality I feel it reigns supreme.

The engineering behind the LS27 is outstanding and the more modern McGizmos, while no less high quality, lack the complexity that make the LS27 such a marvel.

Put together with the incredible aesthetics, the two completely different, yet perfect beams that this light outputs, the way it fits in your hand and even its rarity, and you have a light that easily makes Grail status.

I only own two shelf queens... and I'm simultaneously ashamed and proud that my LunaSol 27 is one of them.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I do agree that the LS27 is a bit large for pocket carry though still doable but when I think about quality I feel it reigns supreme.

The engineering behind the LS27 is outstanding and the more modern McGizmos, while no less high quality, lack the complexity that make the LS27 such a marvel.

Put together with the incredible aesthetics, the two completely different, yet perfect beams that this light outputs, the way it fits in your hand and even its rarity, and you have a light that easily makes Grail status.

I only own two shelf queens... and I'm simultaneously ashamed and proud that my LunaSol 27 is one of them.

A solid choice as the ti PD McGizmos for the time being appear to continue to appreciate in value! Particularly the LS models...

Of course - now that you've opened Pandoras box - I have to ask what the second shelf queen is?!?

carrot

Flashaholic
A solid choice as the ti PD McGizmos for the time being appear to continue to appreciate in value! Particularly the LS models...

Of course - now that you've opened Pandoras box - I have to ask what the second shelf queen is?!?

A very, very old photo, of a pair of lights made as homage to another Grail light... I wonder if many will remember this one?

3130393448_e2a703605d_z.jpg

Gatsby

Enlightened
A very, very old photo, of a pair of lights made as homage to another Grail light... I wonder if many will remember this one?

3130393448_e2a703605d_z.jpg

I'm fairly certain I know what that is but will keep quiet to let some others take a look and make a guess. If I'm correct it is indeed a classic and more scarce than hen's teeth...

netprince

Enlightened
For me, I have to take into account price and size when considering a light for EDC. Anything over $100 is out. I have lost lights (2-3 in 6 years, not terrible) and I will loose more in the future. Since we are talking EDC, the light will be dinged and scraped and scratched up. All of that is less painful if the light is cheap enough to be easily replaced.

For size, I like <= 75mm in length, with a deep carry and secure clip.

Right now I am carrying a Peak Logan SS with the Overready clip. (I have replacement QTC pads, I have had to change it a few times)

I also appreciate the Eagletac D25C in TI, but the driver is not my favorite (moonlight mode on rcr123 is terribly inefficient).

I also gave the nitecore ex11.2 a try, great combination but again driver issues (often jumps to low instead of turning off).

Gatsby

Enlightened
1) This is not made by Larry
2) Sadly, this is not a CR123 light, so we're veering a bit off topic.

I thought it was a Larry light as well... hmmm... and I believe he did make a CR123 light at some point - have to find a thread to back that up however. It may have literally been - one single CR123 light.

Not sure what that is then...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
For lights that can run on a single CR123 (not rechargeable requirement) I would choose:
HDS Rotary or Clicky
Sunwayman V10R (XP-G version)
Surefire T1A

Each one of these lights will stand the rigors of EDC use but if you want one that would handle the most abuse I would have to go with the HDS lights although the other two are more compact.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a few features that put the HDS on top are:
-push and hold to go straight to max at any time.
-ability program strode, SOS of beacon but not be forced to use them.
-excellent power regulation to get every last drop out of a CR123