has anyone figured out what to do about Pentagon 9 volt xenon replacement bulb assemb

Rattleakak

Newly Enlightened
Should be good, but it depends on the quality control of the dropin. If there are any cold solder joints you might have an issue. Luckily they are cheap enough to try another one if you have any problems.

Is there another drop-in that you would recommend to be more recoil resistant? Also since that post you made last June, have you done anymore tinkering with converting the PL X-3? I am looking for all the information I can get. This light may be used in a "chips are down" scenario and I want to do this right and I just cant seem to bring myself to pony up the change for a SF and dont really want to drink that Kool Aid either.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Is there another drop-in that you would recommend to be more recoil resistant? Also since that post you made last June, have you done anymore tinkering with converting the PL X-3? I am looking for all the information I can get. This light may be used in a "chips are down" scenario and I want to do this right and I just cant seem to bring myself to pony up the change for a SF and dont really want to drink that Kool Aid either.

But the Kool Aid is delicious! And you can get into a 6PL for around $50 if you stalk the marketplace.

I haven't played around with them since my last post. I have done 3 conversions so far. There seem to be 2 generations of X3, the newer ones were a bit easier to make the conversion 'clean'. The older versions just took a bit more fitting work on the reflector.

If you need more pictures of my older generation X3 and the work I did I can do that tonight.

Rattleakak

Newly Enlightened
But the Kool Aid is delicious! And you can get into a 6PL for around $50 if you stalk the marketplace.

I haven't played around with them since my last post. I have done 3 conversions so far. There seem to be 2 generations of X3, the newer ones were a bit easier to make the conversion 'clean'. The older versions just took a bit more fitting work on the reflector.

If you need more pictures of my older generation X3 and the work I did I can do that tonight.

Yeah, Id be really interested in seeing anything and everything you got. Here's my email address [email protected]. Thanks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, other than airsoft, it's just not a good idea to mount a light modified with a DX drop-in onto a firearm.

I'm sorry, but nearly everything from DX is cheap junk. If your X3 is going to used on a weapon that you might one day need to keep yourself alive, why rely on something built to a very low price-point? (The DX drop-in, not the X3.)

If the engine in your vehicle died, you wouldn't go to the junk yard and replace it with a rusted out engine that was in one piece.

Rattleakak

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, other than airsoft, it's just not a good idea to mount a light modified with a DX drop-in onto a firearm.

I'm sorry, but nearly everything from DX is cheap junk. If your X3 is going to used on a weapon that you might one day need to keep yourself alive, why rely on something built to a very low price-point? (The DX drop-in, not the X3.)

If the engine in your vehicle died, you wouldn't go to the junk yard and replace it with a rusted out engine that was in one piece.

Hmmm, I thought Cree LED's were good though. I plan on putting the modified X-3 through a series of torcher tests prior to it becoming a part of my kit, even as just a handheld light. Ive got a L2 mounted on the 5.56 currently. We'll see. Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions on better components for the modification? Any and all info I can collect is appreciated. Maybe I'll just have to build my own drop-in from scratch.

Thanks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hmmm, I thought Cree LED's were good though. I plan on putting the modified X-3 through a series of torcher tests prior to it becoming a part of my kit, even as just a handheld light. Ive got a L2 mounted on the 5.56 currently. We'll see. Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions on better components for the modification? Any and all info I can collect is appreciated. Maybe I'll just have to build my own drop-in from scratch.

Thanks

I've been looking for a high quality LED solution for my X3. When I have a bit of money saved up, I plan on contacting Scott (A.K.A. ~ MilkySpit) and have him work his magic on it. He normally works with Surefire models as hosts. And can do some truly amazing things. For example, I have one of his SF E2E Room Sweepers. LED conversion of an E2E that has had the body bored out to accept one 17670 cell. P7 LED in the head. All flood, direct drive, pumps out 600 - 800 lumens out the front. (Compared to 60 lumens from a stock E2E.)

Not what I'd call inexpensive. But Scott's modifications are not only brighter than Hell, but exhibit exceptional quality; along with durability.

Rattleakak

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a high quality LED solution for my X3. When I have a bit of money saved up, I plan on contacting Scott (A.K.A. ~ MilkySpit) and have him work his magic on it. He normally works with Surefire models as hosts. And can do some truly amazing things. For example, I have one of his SF E2E Room Sweepers. LED conversion of an E2E that has had the body bored out to accept one 17670 cell. P7 LED in the head. All flood, direct drive, pumps out 600 - 800 lumens out the front. (Compared to 60 lumens from a stock E2E.)

Not what I'd call inexpensive. But Scott's modifications are not only brighter than Hell, but exhibit exceptional quality; along with durability.

What kind of money are we talking here? I got the light for $19 so I have some room to spend a few bucks on it. Originally bought it just for the tailcap anyway.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was fortunate in that my particular Room Sweeper was part of a sprint run. Didn't have to wait for it. And wait times can indeed be long since Scott's operation is basically that of a One Man shop. Did I mention he's more popular than catnip in a room full of kittens.

I paid $125 for my Room Sweeper. (That price included the light itself as well as the modifications performed on it.) Scott's Room Sweepers tend to go for closer to $200 each. I got mine for a lower price since the host was a slightly less desireable satin gunmetal version. For Room Sweepers, Scott's customers strongly prefer black or O.D. finishes on the E-series Surefires.

I know you said you'd rather avoid buying a Surefire. But a good option that is less expensive than getting a Milky-modded light would be to get a Surefire 9P, and then getting a Malkoff M60 drop-in for it. Gene Malkoff's drop-ins are amazingly good. A Surefire 9P with a Malkoff in it is like peanut butter & jelly. They just go THAT well together. Average price for an M60 is $55. Due to the brass heat sink, the drop-in does make the light a bit head-heavy. But just a bit.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

I agree with this, although I find the vast number of people employing weapon lights these days, especially on forums, etc, are just playing around with the idea, trying it out, not really serious about using it in a defense situation but more of a curiosity thing. I would not use any DX product for the real deal, but its adequate to play around with for fun. I have a 6P with a DX dropin on my shorty pump gun for night time skeet, just to scare the old timers away. Again, for fun.

Anyway, sorry for the delay in getting new pictures. I'll try to get them tomorrow or Thursday. Getting beat down at work these days.