• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HC90vn - The Best Headlamp

Bayi

Newly Enlightened
Does this light (boosted to 3.4A) required high drained 16850 for better performance?:sssh:

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used the charging function in the HC-90? I used the Olight 3,400 mAh 18650 that I also got from Vinh in this light. I noticed that when trying to top it off, which was 4.07v (measured using my dmm), it wouldn't charge as the red charging light stays solid. Even left it for couple of hours, but stayed at 4.07v.

Then when the voltage of the same battery dropped to 3.93v, it charged to perfect 4.20.

Is this normal?

I read the manual and didn't find anything about this. I emailed Nitecore yesterday, but has not received reply yet.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the same thing. It won't charge until it's so low, but then it charges all the way.

Bigblue

Newly Enlightened
I wonder why it doesn't let you top off. Interesting.

It's a great headlamp nonetheless.

I faintly recall seeing Vinh dropping hints that he's working on another headlamp and I think that was in response to someone who's looking for more throw in a headlamp. Better start putting some $$$ aside.

Vinh, can you give us some more info on what headlamp you're working on.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
it would be cool if it was a zoomie, because i dont want to lose the flood. but i doubt it will be, since vinh's usually always about lots of lumens

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Does anyone else see a flickering with their HC90vn? I've been using it lately and found out that it flickers lightly. It doesn't do it on max brightness. It really bugs me, I thought at first there was some other lights shining around me even though I was working alone. Then I thought it could have been lightening. Anyway, it happens after about a minute of runtime.

I'll try to capture it in a video and see if we can see it.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else see a flickering with their HC90vn? I've been using it lately and found out that it flickers lightly. It doesn't do it on max brightness. It really bugs me, I thought at first there was some other lights shining around me even though I was working alone. Then I thought it could have been lightening. Anyway, it happens after about a minute of runtime.

I'll try to capture it in a video and see if we can see it.

I can replace it if you want. Send me an email.

lumentia

Enlightened
I got my hc90vn in a few days ago and love it. Super bright and the green and red emitters are great for keeping the bugs out of your face. Really like the slider switch a lot better than my zebralight's clicky.
No. Any 18650 are fine. (button top)
High drain will not benefit.
I just assumed high drains would benefit, since its a single 18650 boosted light. So I threw a sony vtc5 in it and it was pulling 3.6 to 3.7a at the tailcap with a clamp on meter. Not sure what that translates to in emitter amps like vinh measures them. Ill have to check the voltage. And also what it pulls with 3400 mah olights.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my hc90vn in a few days ago and love it. Super bright and the green and red emitters are great for keeping the bugs out of your face. Really like the slider switch a lot better than my zebralight's clicky.

I just assumed high drains would benefit, since its a single 18650 boosted light. So I threw a sony vtc5 in it and it was pulling 3.6 to 3.7a at the tailcap with a clamp on meter. Not sure what that translates to in emitter amps like vinh measures them. Ill have to check the voltage. And also what it pulls with 3400 mah olights.

thats good to know about the green and red for keeping the insects at bay. i was trying to find more uses for the green and red. i didnt think red would work for that though. i needa find what blue is meant for.

lumentia

Enlightened
thats good to know about the green and red for keeping the insects at bay. i was trying to find more uses for the green and red. i didnt think red would work for that though. i needa find what blue is meant for.

The red seemed to be a little better than geeen at not attracting bugs but its harder for me to see by. The green seems alot brighter and easier to resolve stuff with.

Some of the web literature I saw said that blue was good for blood tracking. I haven't verified this yet. Hopefully soon, hunting season is around the corner.

still havent measured current with low drain, high mAh cells. Tomorrow.

Lomandor

Enlightened
Just received mine today and this is definitely the most practical headlamp I have owned. No wires sticking out to a separate battery compartment, colour LEDs with a bright clean round beam, simple UI switch, and has an incredible even bright wide spill with smooth transition from throw to spill. Shame it is not a thrower, if it was it would be my dream headlamp!

Thanks Wayne :thumbsup:

YDrvSlo

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone understand why the variable range of the slider stops at 530 lm (stock version), rather than going all the way to maximum output? Seems to me if they go to the trouble of building in variable output, it should be variable all the way to maximum output. Is it correct to assume that Vinh's modification increases the output at the top side of the slider? Thanks.

lumentia

Enlightened
Its hard to say why they did it but in practice its no big deal. In fact i like the stop before max. While the "max" detent might be quite a bit higher in lumens than "high", visually it's not as big of a jump as you'd think. Actually max is almost as bright but im sure uses alot less juice.. So its nice to have a known 'less than turbo mode' for managing runtimes. Scientifically speaking, of course. ;)

The light with the easy to manipulate slider switch is real handy for when you're working on stuff and have your hands full/ greasy/ in a hurry and cant be messing with lots of obnoxious clicking to get the right mode. Or cant afford to have a suprise turbo blast when you were looking for moonlight.

one of my favorite lights after I put some diffusion film on the lens. Blended the beam into a nice even milky white tint with just right flood.

lumentia

Enlightened
Im not sure what the light was like before being vindomized but it puts out an excellent amount of light. At max setting with vtc5's it draws 3.6-3.7 amps at the tailcap, which with my rough understanding of electricity makes it around 4.2 amps at the emitter not counting circuitry losses. Its crankin pretty good. And still has moonlight.

Last edited: