HDS 325 Lumen longer throw offering...

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input on range, fellas. I'll do some night time trekking soon. Once I get deep enough into the woods, I will allow my eyes to fully adapt to the darkness. I'm curious to know how much these conditions will affect my perception of the HDS's range. I'll take a few different color temps.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
He got a lux meter!!

So far, the results are only from 1 meter. The golden dragon is weaker, but tomorrow evening I will try to do it at a greater distance, because my eyes say he wins all the rest.

300 warm is on the way tomorrow, so the new owner will be able to measure with his lux meter and we will find out how much my friend's lux meter is lying.

What is interesting is that the former NLT, in which I accidentally killed a diode and placed 219B SW45k, produces the same result as the original 219B NB45, does the current driver level on different emitters produce the same?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome back!!!

I don't think this is a good test. You are showing an [email protected]'m pretty sure the M61 series doesn't provide any more distance than an HDS unless it's a HOT/T. I never did any real testing but I feel HDS will keep up with the MDC 16650 which is a 500lm light. HDS won't out throw it but I think it gives the 16650 a good run.

will see what happens with the rest of your results

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome back!!!

I don't think this is a good test. You are showing an [email protected]'m pretty sure the M61 series doesn't provide any more distance than an HDS unless it's a HOT/T. I never did any real testing but I feel HDS will keep up with the MDC 16650 which is a 500lm light. HDS won't out throw it but I think it gives the 16650 a good run.

will see what happens with the rest of your results

M61NLL just came to hand, perhaps M61NLL will also be someone who has a luxometer and it will be possible to compare the result in order to understand how much the luxometer is lying.

Now made about 30 shots at a distance of 3.85 m, this is the maximum performance 254 and 250 lx, that is, focusing, despite defeat on 1 meter (2040 and 2710 lx), gives an advantage in long distance. We must try 20-30 meters, where the eyes clearly see the winner of the dragon

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
M61NLL just came to hand, perhaps M61NLL will also be someone who has a luxometer and it will be possible to compare the result in order to understand how much the luxometer is lying.
I have an M61NLL but I am not sure if these modules got the updated driver last yr that most others did. If they got an update and your module is newer; it might not be a good comparison. also we probably shouldn't clutter the HDS thread with Malkoff comparisons. I'll check mine at 1m to see how it compares to yours though.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an M61NLL but I am not sure if these modules got the updated driver last yr that most others did. If they got an update and your module is newer; it might not be a good comparison. also we probably shouldn't clutter the HDS thread with Malkoff comparisons. I'll check mine at 1m to see how it compares to yours though.

He came as 80 lumen, just one of the starting points to obtain the correction factor of one luxmeter relative to another. Do you have HDS with 219B 4500K? Before I killed NLT, comparing with the original 219B, they have very close brightness with a slight NLT advantage in range. This could be the second point of comparison.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have
219b R9050 4000k
219b R9080 4000k
219b R9080 4500k
219b R9080 3500k

219c 2700k
219c 5000k

300lm 3900k N Wide
325lm 5000k NLT

Seoul P4...not sure of the specs but its CW and a little blue 140lm I think

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
@desert snake: someone sent me this which might give you what you are looking for. (I thought it included the NLT, but anyway...)

I have some numbers that I measured myself. Standard caveat applies here, as always -- my meter is a reasonably cheap light meter that I think is fine for this usage and tends to jive quite nicely with numbers tested on much nicer equipment and/or published by manufacturers, but it is not a NIST-certified meter. Wish I had one, but I don't. So take all these numbers with a grain of salt, so to speak:

Light / EmitterTested LumensCandelaThrow
HCri200 (stock 200 lm 219b)2043000 cd110 meters
HDS 250 (stock 250 lm Cree XP-G2)2524500 cd134 meters
Modded - Nichia 219b SW45k1983000 cd110 meters
Modded - XP-L HI 3D3226200 cd157 meters
Modded - Samsung LH351d3602900 cd109 meters
Ra GD170 (Osram Golden Dragon)1604100 cd128 meters

A few things to note:

• I included the tested lumens numbers so you could get an idea of how my cheap meter lines up with HDSs good equipment, so you can formulate your own "correction factor" for my numbers or whatever you need to do. Plus it gives you a baseline for the modded lights which are unique.
  • The Stock Hcri200 219b and my modded SW45k 219b read almost exactly the same. That's to be expected but just wanted to highlight.
  • I don't have numbers for a stock 325, never tested one. Sorry.
  • I also don't have numbers on any of the official Nichia 219c runs, like the High Noon or 3 o'clock high. I didn't get in on those. But since they're very similar in size to the 219b and also tuned to output 200 lumens I'd expect very similar throw numbers as well, so I think 3000cd/110 meters is a safe estimate on those.
  • The Ra Clicky is just included as a reference point, and maybe an illustration of how beam shape effects these numbers. That's the lowest lumen light on the list but far from the shortest throw distance. In fact it makes less than half the lumens of the Samsung but easily out-throws it, because its tiny and produces a narrow beam.

So I'll leave it at that for others to draw their own conclusions about the possible performance of the XP-G3. I don't have much experience with that emitter so won't be any help there. Sorry.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
219b R9050 4000k
219b R9080 4000k
A compare of this two types would be interesting.

I only have a 219A 4000K, 219B R9080 4000K and also 219C NC40.

Would be interesting to know the difference between the both 219B 4000K LEDs.

I am not a person liking 4000K LEDs but the 219B 9080 is great. I still can not decide if it is better tan NB45 9080 or not.
I there is the opportunity to get an additional NB40 9080 light I will definately get another one...

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A compare of this two types would be interesting.

I only have a 219A 4000K, 219B R9080 4000K and also 219C NC40.

Would be interesting to know the difference between the both 219B 4000K LEDs.

I am not a person liking 4000K LEDs but the 219B 9080 is great. I still can not decide if it is better tan NB45 9080 or not.
I there is the opportunity to get an additional NB40 9080 light I will definately get another one...

They are pretty similar but the R9080 has more red/pink but not as drastic as the sw45. 4000k R9050 is a shade warmer than the 4000k R9080. on low setting the r9080 appears much whiter but on higher levels the difference is minimal

I used to have the NC40...can't remember whom it went to I loved the NC runs but I just like 219b better. If there was ever a 219b 5000k or even 5700k; I'd be on it and it would most likely be enough to part with my 3 o'clock. There is just something about the "b" that my eye like more.

I can tell you I prefer the NB40 over the 45 but both have their purposes. 219b R9050 is still my ultimate favorite with NB40 being a very close second.

There is a reason why I don't do beamshots. This is somewhat accurate but it's brighter than reality. both lights st 5 clicks up from min. WB set to 4500k, aperturef/1.7, exposure time 1/10, iso 400 (best quick settings to get it as close to reality as possible)
qrNyiza.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just ordered my first HDS after reading this thread back and forth :). Well not really the first, I had a Ra85 (?) Twisty a very long time ago but I sold it. I picked the XP-G3 NLT Rotary - since I will use it outdoors primarily and I don't care if the beam isn't perfect. Of course there are some limits - I still remember the SF Minimus Saint headlamp with horrible artifacts in the peripheral field, that was way beyond the limit I would accept :). There is a German (they also have UK/IT/FR websites) store which has them in stock, along with XP-L version. A High CRI version would be nice, but I think this will be fine for outdoor use and I prefer neutral or "pure" white to warm LEDs.
I think I still have the rare flip-up Surefire FM54 diffuser somewhere, I wonder if that will fit the HDS and how it it look (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564162-REG/Surefire_FM54_Diffuser_for_1_0_Diameter.html).
I can't wait to receive it!

Last edited:

jarobi

Enlightened
@Daniel_sk
The 325 NLT Rotary is the most useful light I own. The user interface makes it perfect indoors. The smooth reflector and emitter give it the punch to work great outdoors. You'll love it, IMO.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I just received my first HDS yesterday and I chose the 325 NLT. I ordered the Executive. I really like it. I think it is a good size, good power, good UI, etc. There is really nothing I don't like. i'd guess I could carry on about how good it is, but everyone here already knows.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my first HDS yesterday and I chose the 325 NLT. I ordered the Executive. I really like it. I think it is a good size, good power, good UI, etc. There is really nothing I don't like. i'd guess I could carry on about how good it is, but everyone here already knows.

Don't ever buy a rotary then cause you ll get the addiction the rest of us have. And there is no cure for it!

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I think one day I may try a Rotary or Tactical Rotary. I was surprised to find out the HDS is not too big. I read some people say it is large. My only other single CR123 lights are the Malkoff MDC and Elzetta Alpha, which apparently aren't small either because they are all 3 close in size, with the HDS Executive being slightly shorter. I have the high/low tailcap on the Elzetta which makes it slightly longer than the rotary tailcap. Anyway, I think the HDS feels great in hand, has plenty of power, and looks great too.