different shape and size of the die

yes,
I believe the
illuminated portion on the XP-L is larger, and looks like a square
and
the illuminated portion on the XP-G3 is smaller, and looks round

a 325 XP-L has a wider hotspot, with less throw
a 325 XP-G3 has a tighter hotspot, with more throw

Exactly. This is why the XP-L in the reflector has those petals... it is the result of the square portion that illuminates... which one can see in the reflected surface even if not being illuminated.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to outdoor beam shots and some descriptions of tint, especially comparing and contrasting the 3900K XPL and the 5000K XPG3.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been able to get out to a decent spot to get some compare/contrast of the 250, High Noon, and this XP-G3 yet. Been busy as hell recently... and this week isn't looking very good.

We shipped several out today, so they should be in folks hands in the next couple of days.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the negative DUV sounds great!

vBnyzui.jpg

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty curious about this XP-G3 HDS. i ordered one. I hope the tint is nice. Until now I was never disappointed about the tint with my HDS lights. Therefore I am kind of optimistic I will like this light also.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going there's no green. 250 is a great thrower for sure but just a bit cool for my liking... but green? [emoji20]

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you see green in these, see an optometrist. There is something seriously wrong with your eyes. If you think it's green because of the photo, it's time for a new computer monitor. After having those checked if it's still green, one needs to get back on their medication.
Look at the sphere data. Check out where it falls on the black body radius.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I went out tonight to take photos and I learned something... I really suck at taking photos. Most looked like my iPhone had gotten into my rum. Bad iPhone! Bad! Bad!

I did play with a 170, High Noon, 250, and the new 325...
My conclusion is this, and your mileage may vary especially if you have younger eyes and haven't been pointing an HDS UV in them for the last month...

I love the High Noon. Does not throw quite as far as the 250, but in any practical sense, it didn't make a difference.
325 seems to throw as far as the 250, but doesn't wash out the colors. 5000k vs 6200k. While the 250 seemed as bright simply by going "hey... I see light over there" the 325 was easier to actually see more detail in things I was looking at. Whether this is from the extra lumens or the lower color temp (looking at dead trees) I do not know.

Probably not very helpful. Some things I suck at. Well, that's not true. There are all kinds of things I suck at!

So about the only photo that actually turned out is new and improved LED dash lights in my Jeep.

Well, several of these 325's should land in the next day, so it will be good to hear those opinions and thoughts on this new emitter. I personally would take the XP-G3 hands down over the 250. While not hiCRI, the lower temp seems to make a big difference, at least to my eyes. The 250 washes colors out while the XP-G3 doesn't seem to as much.

And here is something messed up... I am at home all locked and loaded for white wall and when I cross the beams of the High Noon and XP-G3... the High Noon looks... greenish. WTH? Somebody once said to not cross the beams... I should have listened.

Last edited:

Latest posts