HDS models and modes

GearHunter

Enlightened
Me as well. I tend to use full power or strobe most of the time or the signal strobe but it's nice to have the option of lower power without the programming :)

I get that. I don't use any flashy modes and high powere is just a press and hold away. I have my modes set almost factory fresh,

click on-25lm or so
dbl click-100 lm
triple click-.03
click press and hold-200lm

so I have my low power but sometimes I want to hand it to my wife ( think theatre) and not have her blind anyone so I'll reprogram ( takes 3 secs) to turn on at .03.....
not dissing the rotary by any means it's just a feature I just don't need/want in my light.

GearHunter

Enlightened
You do realize you can use a rotary exactly like a clicky right? I like the option of either UI.

Yep, like I said I had one in my hands...I don't need something that works " exactly like a clicky" when I have a clicky.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get that. I don't use any flashy modes and high powere is just a press and hold away. I have my modes set almost factory fresh,

click on-25lm or so
dbl click-100 lm
triple click-.03

so I have my low power but sometimes I want to hand it to my wife ( think theatre) and not have her blind anyone so I'll reprogram ( takes 3 secs) to turn on at .03.....
not dissing the rotary by any means it's just a feature I just don't need/want in my light.

That's fair. Like the song People Like Us goes... Something for us all. However as much as I love the rotary ui I m finding it quite frustrating to sort out a clip or lanyard ring!

GearHunter

Enlightened
That's fair. Like the song People Like Us goes... Something for us all. However as much as I love the rotary ui I m finding it quite frustrating to sort out a clip or lanyard ring!
Speaking of the clip, I saw your post to my MODDOO clip thread. Have you tried the Ti dark sucks clip? It is honestly a fantastic alternative to the Moddoo....if you haven't pm me a shipping address and I have a spare you can have if you cover the 12 or so bucks to get it to the UK . Only catch is if you find the Moddoo then you have to pass this one on to someone else in need....deal?

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gh, that is very kind of you and yes I d appreciate that aLOT. Also a very good deal so yes I m good with that. :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yep, like I said I had one in my hands...I don't need something that works " exactly like a clicky" when I have a clicky.
Clickies are great but I thought it would be good for op to know you can program rotary as well. I find it easier to turn the wheel in the theater and I have a little pain in the joints of my thumb so for me rotary is best....but I do prefer the clip choices for clicky. I don't have one because I use a Zebralight as my programmable clicky but I always keep an eye on the mall just in case a good one shows up at a nice price. Trouble is I want the same clicky most people want - either HI CRI 200 or 4000k 325. I only like CR123A tube and black bezel. They don't show up very often in the mall.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much my feelings on the HDS lights.

My Clicky, being my EDC light, is my most used light and after recently acquiring the Fenix CL25R and putting it through its paces I remembered just how much I hated cycling through modes. Having to cycle through modes is the reason I dumped my Quark back in 08 as my EDC which had a billion different settings.

Well, interestingly, my 325 Clicky is now running third, behind 2 later model Quarks, as my preferred EDC. They changed some things, and I use a few tricks, but all three lights are roughly equal in beam profile, tint, UI speed/effort, and even 4-mode spacing (which I set/programmed all the same).

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clicky all the way for me. Owned a rotary for about 2 minutes before packaging it back up and returning it. I always know what level my clicky will turn on at because I programmed it. If a situation arises that I may need to change it ( perhaps to moonlight for an evening at the theatre reading programs in the dark) then I adjust it on the fly because I keep it in program mode.

This is exactly how I feel. I owned a Rotary for a few weeks, but as soon as took it out of the packaging, I knew it wasn't for me. Put it back thinking I'd use it later and never did, so I sold it. I don't regret it one bit. I keep all my Clickys in program mode as well for quick customization on the fly.
I think my problem is I'm too indecisive. I feel like I'd be making constant minor adjustments to the dial while I'm using it, and lose focus on what I'm doing because I want the perfect amount of illumination. I like my modes set, but not in stone.
I also have a phobia of wearing out the rubber boot on the switch. If I ever do wear one down, it's a two minute job removing and installing a new one on a Clicky, but a Rotary requires a trip back to HDS for a swap. I know these take FOREVER to wear down, but if it even begins to look flaky, I can freshen it up on my own. [emoji16]

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
My only complaint about rotary is I would prefer the adjustment ring nearer the head - not in the tail.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
... not many can match the versatility of his programmable UI.

That's what I paid for, and it was worth it, even at 3x the cost of my next most expensive light.

it is the ability to tailor the modes to the situation that makes me so interested in the HDS ramping options. Imagine a Titanium Rotary.. thats gotta be cool, right?:)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ls-and-modes&p=4708883&viewfull=1#post4708883
…I have my modes set…

click on-25lm or so
dbl click-100 lm
triple click-.03

… sometimes I want to hand it to my wife ( think theatre) and not have her blind anyone so I'll reprogram ( takes 3 secs) to turn on at .03......

something like this:?
44013813462_593815e46a_c.jpg

all three lights are roughly equal in beam profile, tint, UI speed/effort, and even 4-mode spacing (which I set/programmed all the same).

what levels do you program to?:)

My only complaint about rotary is I would prefer the adjustment ring nearer the head - not in the tail.
you may be interested in adding this sunwayman V11R to your options