HDS Systems #23

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
rotary is the version that is sold most of. Hogo mentioned it is ~9 rotaries 1 Clicky ratio....

Long time ago I made a review of the regular Body types of the Rotary (CR123, 18650, 2xAA) in a german forum. Important the measurement is metric!

And a size compare with the Surefire Outdoorsman lights (2xAA, 2xCR123, 1xCR123)

That is the most difficult question since there are mostly some preferences, like warm color, or a cooler color, ....

A lot people will say NB45, and I agree with them, NB45 is great. But I personally prefer the NB40 a bit more. But that does not mean NB45 is bad!

Only to give you a feeling about the colors here an old picture of a compare of HDS LED options taken in mid 2018:

The Nichia 219C and the currently offered 219B are somehow comparable. The 219B is mostly a bit more rosy due to the fact the white light has more red.

Here is a compare of NB30, NB35, NB40 and NB45 I took in September 2022 on request.

Also in this thread are some smaller light color compares of other members of the current LED options, but for this you must search for it on your own.
Looking at the comparison image, I want 2700k for the next HDS. For the first HDS, I chose 4500k for practicality. The white color is accurately reflected in white, and the fingertips and palms are properly represented in a reddish color, so it is very easy to use and I am very satisfied with the result. Next time I want to play with warm colors like light bulbs. Or dare Amber? It's fun to have time to get lost in various things.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the comparison image, I want 2700k for the next HDS. For the first HDS, I chose 4500k for practicality...
Here I posted a compare between NB27 and NC27:

You can see very easyly that NB27 is more 'rosy' than NC27. NB27 is 219B 9080 ... NC27 is 219C 9050!

I like 2700K (both NB27 and NC27). I was also the user that had the idea for NB27. :D

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Alright, I'm quite tempted to grab an HDS and see what I think of it.

question is, which one should i go with?

there are so many options I don't know where to start.

which body type

I prefer the 18650 size. Even though it is a little larger than CR123, I find it is just as easy/comfortable in my pocket (typically front right pocket in blue jeans). With a 3500 mAh battery, this provides very long runtimes (perhaps twice as long?) as the CR123.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the 18650 size. Even though it is a little larger than CR123, I find it is just as easy/comfortable in my pocket (typically front right pocket in blue jeans). With a 3500 mAh battery, this provides very long runtimes (perhaps twice as long?) as the CR123.
I've heard it's 3x the runtime.

Thanks for the input. Though I might go with the smaller form factor of the 123 so in summer I can still carry it without any issues in shorts, can always throw an extra battery in my bag or on my keys in a lil tube. not sure yet we'll see.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
rotary is the version that is sold most of. Hogo mentioned it is ~9 rotaries 1 Clicky ratio....

Long time ago I made a review of the regular Body types of the Rotary (CR123, 18650, 2xAA) in a german forum. Important the measurement is metric!

And a size compare with the Surefire Outdoorsman lights (2xAA, 2xCR123, 1xCR123)

That is the most difficult question since there are mostly some preferences, like warm color, or a cooler color, ....

A lot people will say NB45, and I agree with them, NB45 is great. But I personally prefer the NB40 a bit more. But that does not mean NB45 is bad!

Only to give you a feeling about the colors here an old picture of a compare of HDS LED options taken in mid 2018:

The Nichia 219C and the currently offered 219B are somehow comparable. The 219B is mostly a bit more rosy due to the fact the white light has more red.

Here is a compare of NB30, NB35, NB40 and NB45 I took in September 2022 on request.

Also in this thread are some smaller light color compares of other members of the current LED options, but for this you must search for it on your own.
Thanks, the NB45 seems to be the sweet spot for the color of light I like.
I appreciate the response, very helpful.
For edc the 123 size seems like the only viable option. The others are quite big especially for summers in shorts.

For edc the 123 size seems like the only viable option. The others are quite big especially for summers in shorts.
Just my two cents and purely anecdotal experience: I have the NB45 (tint is awesome) with an 18650 body and it's been superior in carry and handling over the CR123 body, at least for me. I'm a taller guy with larger hands (6' 2" and large to X-large gloves). The CR123 body was a tad too small for me, especially when swiveling it in hand to point in different angles, felt like it was going to drop at times. The heftier 18650 body has remedied that.

Maybe get a winter body (18650) and a summer body? 😄

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Just my two cents and purely anecdotal experience: I have the NB45 (tint is awesome) with an 18650 body and it's been superior in carry and handling over the CR123 body, at least for me. I'm a taller guy with larger hands (6' 2" and large to X-large gloves). The CR123 body was a tad too small for me, especially when swiveling it in hand to point in different angles, felt like it was going to drop at times. The heftier 18650 body has remedied that.

Maybe get a winter body (18650) and a summer body? 😄
Thanks for this.
I am about your size 6'1" same glove size as well.

Where do you carry the light? Jeans front pocket?

Also, what exactly do you have, NB45 + 18650 body and rotary?

I'm quite interested in grabbing one, after many years of holding off...

Thanks for this.
I am about your size 6'1" same glove size as well.

Where do you carry the light? Jeans front pocket?

Also, what exactly do you have, NB45 + 18650 body and rotary?

I'm quite interested in grabbing one, after many years of holding off...
I carry it in my left front jeans/scrubs pocket. Sometimes in right rear. However, my configuration has modifications.
F7C6C44A-7040-48BE-AE71-D8C0E9126719.jpeg

Can you get all levels with that setup?
Yes, I tape fit the clip over the existing hole to figure out where levels 1 and 24 start/stop. I fine tune the correct location. Then I punch, drill, and tap. Interestingly, for the two I've done, both have clips favoring the same side and are not perfectly centered over the original stop screw. If it was centered, level 1 would be lost.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Yes, I tape fit the clip over the existing hole to figure out where levels 1 and 24 start/stop. I fine tune the correct location. Then I punch, drill, and tap. Interestingly, for the two I've done, both have clips favoring the same side and are not perfectly centered over the original stop screw. If it was centered, level 1 would be lost.
Would be nice if you could post a tutorial with pictures and possibly video 🙂

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jon! It's a Reylight Dawn titanium clip I ordered with screws direct from Rey. I did the heat treatment with MAPP gas and WD40 to blacken it.
you had me at Titanium!
doesnt get much better.. except maybe with a McGizmo clip.. ;-)

Im guessing there are people who would love to pay you to Tap and Screw their Rotary Tails..

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I want 2700k for the next HDS....Next time I want to play with warm colors like light bulbs. Or dare Amber? It's fun to have time to get lost in various things.
The one I'm carrying right now had a 2700k LED swap and looks totally incandescent; pure joy to use. My original Boss 35 had the amber option and it was great. I've never liked using red LEDs but amber is much more user friendly.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
The one I'm carrying right now had a 2700k LED swap and looks totally incandescent; pure joy to use. My original Boss 35 had the amber option and it was great. I've never liked using red LEDs but amber is much more user friendly.
Amber seems to be even lower than 2700k, so I'm interested. It's an expensive light, so it's difficult to keep buying it in quick succession, but it's also a candidate I'd like to get someday.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
NB45 is very easy to use and has a good color, so I would like to recommend it.