HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny...LOL<<<

EDIT; just remembered, I need to figure out if I wan an 18650 or just the 123. What is everyones preference? I think I plan to go with the 18650 for the additional runtime and should have very little difference in overall size

2aa 18650 123

4b508aee2404ac9ccf9e825b7f9fbd9c.jpg

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably an unpopular opinion and I'd never want to denigrate the choices of others, but I just can't get into the longer tubes for these lights. I love my HDS lights, seriously love them, but they're just so right with the original 16340 tube. They look right, they carry right, they feel right in my hand. Those longer tubes all look ungainly and awkward to me and I have no interest in them at all.

But that's just my opinion of course.

Lithium466

Enlightened
If only they would produce some 18350 tubes...that's 200mAh more for the same length, not negligible.
The funniest part is older HDS or Novatac with spring in the tube can sometimes accommodate 18650 batteries, it's a tight fit but it can fit. Or you can use the Hogo brass trick.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If only they would produce some 18350 tubes...that's 200mAh more for the same length, not negligible.
The funniest part is older HDS or Novatac with spring in the tube can sometimes accommodate 18650 batteries, it's a tight fit but it can fit. Or you can use the Hogo brass trick.
That would be so great if Henry just started making the tubes with the tiny bit of extra space to accommodate 18350's.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really sure just yet?
I only recently got both the 2aa tube and whole 18650 light and have yet to adopt any kind of pattern with them really.
I wanted the aa tube as I prefer to EDC AA lights for work and the 18650 light was just there at the time I was thinking about a new light and it seemed ideal as I had no other HDS like it. That one is a Tactical 325 and I am not sure I like the Tactical aspect overall either.

But for me more than anything else is how I carry the light to ensure that I will carry them.
The standard HDS are too big for pocket carry to me and the others are way too big for it.
I have a Thors Holster which is great and the 18650 also rides in it pretty nicely but the aa club is way too big for it.
So I found a great nylon holster for that one and I should be good to try out the 3 in the next few weeks and see but I have a feeling I will like them all equally in the end!

I think the 18650 should be the handiest though for run time alone maybe?

Hi AVService,

Which one gets the most use and why, do you think ?
Thanks for the pic.

Cheers.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for the responses AVService & FroggyTaco.

On a side note, do 2 x 18350 fit in the 18650 tube and are they compatible with the light ?

Cheers.

These lights are designed to run on 1 cell only, 2 cells will damage the light(18650 tube). Not sure what the max voltage is but that is what it says on the site

Last edited:

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
On one side of the frequently asked questions of the HDS systems website it says 4.2 on rechargeable . But it goes into details about the batteries themselves after and another page that says 4.5 max voltage . To find this info it's under more details after you select a light to look at.
http://www.hdssystems.com/Products/Details
I would just ask the man himself to be sure

Lithium466

Enlightened
Do you guys use CR123 or 16340 cells in your lights?
16340. CR123A are only for emergency or when I don't want to take my charger. I use an Xtar XP1 charger that can charge my 16340 and the AA in my computer mouse...since I mostly travel with my computer too :D

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
@INFRNL... If you need the longer run time then sure, get what you need. I'm sure the 18650 is awesome. But I like the 123 because that's the light, and it's a grail. Also for all the same reasons emarked mentioned.

I got the sapphire lens because... well... since I consider this a grail light, not springing for the sapphire, to me, would be like hanging a Mona Lisa without a frame. ;-) Ok maybe that was a bit much lol but that's how I feel about it. The sapphire also serves a purpose in that it has a greater tolerance against cracks and scratches... at least that's what I've been led to believe. I'm still just a poser in this world of lights.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
2aa 18650 123

4b508aee2404ac9ccf9e825b7f9fbd9c.jpg

Crazy, when you look at the specs on paper; they do not seem like there would be this noticeable of a difference. That or your pic is messing with my perception. Looking at this pic, I can see why many prefer the 123. Thanks for posting this

Probably an unpopular opinion and I'd never want to denigrate the choices of others, but I just can't get into the longer tubes for these lights. I love my HDS lights, seriously love them, but they're just so right with the original 16340 tube. They look right, they carry right, they feel right in my hand. Those longer tubes all look ungainly and awkward to me and I have no interest in them at all.

But that's just my opinion of course.
Thanks for your take on this

What 18350's do you use? I have some aw's from a few years back, they are 700mah. Then I have some xtar's that are 850mah. I know the current ones are slightly higher in capacity.
Then I have aw 16340's that are 550mah, and aw rcr123 that are 750mah.

From what I currently have, I am not sure there is much benefit to an 18350. I guess on a sm single cell such as these, every little bit helps

I own the CR123A & 18650 versions. The CR123A is soo much better for EDC & the runtime is still amazing for a such a small cell. IMO of course.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.