HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been able to sample both the Boss 35 and a HDS rotary is the last couple weeks, I have to say, I actually liked the Rotary better! Granted the Boss has a better clip and is brighter, but the 325 rotary that I compared to my Boss 35 Nichia 219, seemed almost as bright! The beam just wasn't as full. Both are nice lights though!

Robe

Enlightened
Having been able to sample both the Boss 35 and a HDS rotary is the last couple weeks, I have to say, I actually liked the Rotary better! Granted the Boss has a better clip and is brighter, but the 325 rotary that I compared to my Boss 35 Nichia 219, seemed almost as bright! The beam just wasn't as full. Both are nice lights though!

I'd really like to compare the 325 4k with the 200 high cri.

You should lend me yours. :)

And I found the same thing on the boss. The concentrated light on the rotary because of the reflector really lights up a lot. Though the triple lights up a much, much larger area.

I just love the rotary.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that's the difference between lumens and candela. The boss has LOADS more output, but it's broader and more floody so the "reach" of the two is closer than you may expect. It is still a lot more light though, the difference between lighting up a point in a far treeline and lighting up the whole treeline. Both get the job done, just in different ways.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't actually own a Rotary yet. I was referring to the regular 325 rotary I was borrowing from a generous CPF member. I almost traded my Boss for a 325 4000k though. I'm sure it's a great light!

You should lend me yours. :)

And I found the same thing on the boss. The concentrated light on the rotary because of the reflector really lights up a lot. Though the triple lights up a much, much larger area.

I just love the rotary.

coffeecup66

Enlightened
Hey Ven, thanks for the second set of 200lm hi cri beamshots on page 38 ! (don't know how, but I had missed them).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brilliant idea !! Would love to see that too ... and to be honest, I wouldn't have anything against seeing them alongside the BOSSes ! (219 & XP-L)

One can dream :cool:

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I had observed last week that the Rotary tube on my Tactical would not work on a standard Rotary and it turns out that I was wrong.
I talked to Henry for a while and then messed around with the tube and there was just crud on the contacts of the head it turned out and the Rotary is a Rotary is a Rotary and any and all heads programmed with any form of Rotary interface will work on every Rotary Tube,as per the Master himself the programming is entirely in the head.

I also observed that my newest 325 l head seems much warmer than the older 200 l heads that I have and it was confirmed that he is trending to warmer color temp. within the CW spectrum depending on the emitters he has available and the warmth is a trend that should continue as he realizes that users seem to prefer warmer tint these days.

As usual a great conversation on all levels,I wish I had recorded it!

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind me asking when did you initially place your order
Thanks

I placed my order on Jan. 4 and received my custom light on Jan.17.

It would have arrived even sooner if not for being mailed a couple days before a holiday weekend. One day earlier and it would've arrived on the 13th or 14th... that's pretty good service.

indigon

Enlightened
For me the holy grail will be a 400l rotary warm/neutral/HiCRI, then he can retire.. ;)

-edited to add: I could use the higher lumens at work sometimes, though 75% of the time lo - med. is enough..

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I can't get over how low the lowest setting is... has to be a world record low. It deserves it's own name too because firefly don't even cover it.

Congrats on the Rotary! It is a great light. The low, which does pretty much everything that I need a low to do, isn't even in the "Top 5" of low level output. There does become a point of diminishing returns personally, but there are lights (005, 007, Tri-V, etc.) that can go low enough to make a single trit look bright.

Wow I would not have guessed. This low is so low I can't see the beam on the wall from my chair with the lights out. Yeah I wouldn't want it any lower... this is nice though.

There used to be a whole group of CPF'rs into sublumen outputs, but except for @reppans occasionally, I don't see most of them around anymore ....

It's not really a huge interest of mine, but I do have lights so low that you can't even really see the output shining on surfaces just a few inches away, but you have to actually stare straight at the emitter to try to see if it is on or not :shakehead

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There used to be a whole group of CPF'rs into sublumen outputs, but except for @reppans occasionally, I don't see most of them around anymore ....

It's not really a huge interest of mine, but I do have lights so low that you can't even really see the output shining on surfaces just a few inches away, but you have to actually stare straight at the emitter to try to see if it is on or not :shakehead

I appreciate sublumens, and stunningly bright output as well, but I have found a love and desire for merely low lumens, 4lm, 8lm, 15lm.... 25lm is too bright once my eyes become dark adapted.

Also, archimedes, I'm filling up your inbox, check your pm (unless I'm on your ignore list, in which case... plz ignore LOL)

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate sublumens, and stunningly bright output as well, but I have found a love and desire for merely low lumens, 4lm, 8lm, 15lm.... 25lm is too bright once my eyes become dark adapted.

Probably one of the best use cases for something like the Rotary. It does it all - sub-lumen glow, great low range, and a decent top end. If you don't need a thousand lumens to get the job done, then the Rotary can do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.