HDS? Vs novatak? what can he bring? us a killer app?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Regarding UI:
I guess that if HDS could marry these 2 concepts to some degree

Regarding LED choice:
the most important choice for me today regarding the LED in expensive lights is that it is upgradeable. Preferably by HDS and not by only modder's on CPF as that will void the warranty.

Excellent points. I want to expand on these ideas and add one of my own.

1) UI:
Since seeing the HDS EDC for the first time, the 'waist' (tapered mid point) has been screaming at me - DIAL. An infinite adjustment dial (ala SF Titan) sounds ideal and intuitive, but how ideal is it to have your output changing up or down inadvertently while you're using it?

What I have in mind is slightly less wow, but more functional. A dial (head, middle, or tail) with 5-7 fixed notches. It could operate by itself (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) or in combination with an on/off tail switch (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Used with a tail switch, you would twist to the desired level (works in the dark) and then switch it on. A proper tail switch would also allow momentary continuous on for every level. Make the notches programmable, with addresses instead of fixed levels, and you can make the ideal lineup you want. Call it the HDS Ratchet.

2) LED
Buyers remorse is big. Obsolescence is bigger. How about a design with changeable heads. A new LED debuts and instead of buying a whole new system, you buy a new head. It has a new engine, reflector, and housing, tailored for the new bulb. Owners can decide when the new head is worth buying, given the extra performance. Offer an exchange program for the old head, which is then recycled with new internals.

3) Platform
How about a flashlight system, even more Lego than the original HDS. Choose the head you want, choose the dial, choose the battery body, and choose the tail. Buy one of each and change it around as the mood strikes or the environment demands. One platform supporting 3 or 4 battery sizes, fixed or programmable dials [1], and future-proof for the next LED revolutions [2].

EG

Last edited:

worldedit

Enlightened
I dont think an LCD battery indicator is what a flashlight need. The Liteflux LF2 can show the battery voltage by simply blinking the number. That does the job.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
A great deal has been said. I suppose a battery voltage reading could be implemented as a startup feature... a certain number of flashles could give us a very accurate voltage reading.

It is important when dealing with lithiium cells (or any other batteries) that in order to give a accurate reading the battery must be tested under a load.

How about adding a TEST mode?: low/medium/high/flash/sos/test, or in my last example: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, T.

A big feature of LEDs is normalizing the voltage for fixed output. So TEST turns off that regulation, allowing you to see how much power remains based on how bright the LED glows. It wouldn't take very long to learn how much dimness correlates with how much remaining power.

Anxiously awaiting Henry's next creation... :D

EG

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
ElectronGuru,

I like that idea of the 1,2,3,4,5; but I'd like to be able to pick my "function & output" for each setting. However, that would certainly be cool.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll back up the request for the ability to change from spot to flood (without F04), I also like the cell meter (but in LED under a toughened screen, that would also aid as a nightime locator.)

However what would really do it for me is an absolutely bombproof switch and UI - something tested to the absolute death in the labs and with the QC in place to ensure that every light that comes out of production has been tested to some specific, measurable and verifiable parameters.

Although, even this would probably still see me carrying a KISS light as a primary or backup.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I like that idea of the 1,2,3,4,5; but I'd like to be able to pick my "function & output" for each setting. However, that would certainly be cool.

Yes Bytor (sorry if it wasn't clear), thats what I mean by programable:

-Have a physical position dial to select from 5-7 hard addresses

-Pre/re/configure each address to the function and output you want

-Use the tail switch for on/off and the dial for each preset

-What can be assigned is limited only to what can be controled

EM

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I think a cool addition would be adding a red LED to it, but w/o sacrificing output by having a hole in the reflector, maybe a really small led on the side or even a clear switch cover with a red led under it. another thing that would be more of an "easter egg" type feature would be to use the thermometer that is used to thermal shutdown and have it display the temp flashed in binary. I would say that any extra programming space should be filled with something, a timer could be another possibility. I would say these shouldnt be very easy to access, just extra features that can be used by those who want to, these features could be in an extra menu that takes 15 or so clicks to get to. adjustable strobe rate would be cool. also I wish the fast strobe on the novatacs was max output. also the novatacs lowest output although claimed to be the same as the HDS is clearly brighter, which I just realized and will have to look into the reason

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one more item to add. A killer advancement would be to bring the beam characteristics of the 27LT head into a 1" style reflector or optic. I love the beam on my S27-PD so much; I just wish the head could be smaller.

THINK: BIG REFLECTOR CHARACTERISTICS WITH A LITTLE REFLECTOR OR OPTIC.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
seeing the success that SF has had with the new TIR optics, I'm hopeing for a light that is compatible with optics. I have always been a big fan of optics for light-focusing due to its efficiency and useful beam with low power consumption, and would like to see more advanced optics being used in high end lights

I'm weird like that. I just want a uniform beam that ultilized most of its light in the hotspot. I don't need a massive thrower, just a beam like the L1 with the characteristics of the HDS.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Killer app -> the TwistClicky

Thinking more about a programmable Ratchet Ring (or TwistClicky) interface:

1) 10+ available/assignable functions (brightness/blink/test/etc). This could be a huge library of options, not only individually but in combination: lowBlink, highBlink, lowSolid, HighSolid, off, 30% power, 50% power, the works! Have them in a specific order for easy identification and reference.

2) 5+ physical click-to positions selected with a 2 direction solid ratchet feel ring. Position the ring so it can be turned with one hand, like thumb and 1st finger twisting while 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hold.

3) to program: position the ring to the notch you want to configure, long press (3+ seconds) the tailswitch (ala Casio watches), brief press the tailswitch to cycle through each available function, long press (3+ seconds) the tailswitch to lock in desired function. Repeat for each ring position you want to change.

4a) to use: position ring to desired setting, half press tail switch half way to momentarily activate.

4b) to use: position ring to desired setting, brief press tail switch to activate, brief press tail switch to deactivate.

4c) turn ring while activated to switch between settings

5) ship it preconfigured with a simple % power configuration: 5/30/50/70/100

Result: 5+ preferred settings that are easy/fast to access and use in all conditions and environments. Easy enough for novices to use and advanced enough for anyone this side of an oscilloscope to enjoy.

EG

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Better clip that points in the correct direction.

Better mechanical design, fix what ails the novatac.

Variable frequency strobe.

More efficient electronics, less heat.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure but didn't Henry say once that the Novatac uses a less effective means of regulation. If that is the case then Henry can easily trump that. No mass production and low price constraints.

I actually like the old HDS UI. What would I want to make it better?
How about Super high performance rebels, oh about 5 of them crammed in to the head of an HDS, each driven at less than 350mA. Should be able to get 250lm out the front of them Easy. Using a TIR optic we can get a nice clean beam that looks like the current Novatac beam. Or dual Seouls or Crees.

Or even simpler bring back some more battery tubes!

zk188

Newly Enlightened
How about a 3 D cell battery pack that is worn on the hip. That is connected to a head band that you can screw the flash light onto the button would be right on the battery pack.

zachplaysguitar5

Newly Enlightened
I think a way (USB, IR, or Bluetooth) to change the regulation would be cool.

For example, configure the light to run on max for 2 hours and drain most of the battery, or only 20 minutes to conserve battery.

This gives more flexibility for those who need the high mode longer than others, without concern for battey life.

I like the rotating clicky idea, so long as its easily programmable.

Also, a way to download updates for the light would be cool, such as new modes or updates to drive the LED harder change certain modes to become more efficient.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Thanks for the encouragement Byter. The only thing more fun that creating new ideas is sharing them. :)

configure the light to run on max for 2 hours and drain most of the battery, or only 20 minutes to conserve battery.

This gives more flexibility for those who need the high mode longer than others, without concern for battey life.

Interesting Zach. Makes me think about automatic power saving.

My PowerBook auto dims the screen when there are x minutes of battery left. In this case, a flashlight that switches to power saving mode when it senses (depending on the voltage of the particular cell's chemestry) when its down to say its last 5% reserve. In effect, its maximizing remaining time while simultaneously warning the operator to change cells or get ready for the big dark!

EG

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Alright, one more idea, then I HAVE to go to bed. :huh:

Put in an audio detector (aka, microphone). Whistle or clap and the light flashes a sequence so you can find it in the dark.

EG

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Trio of ideas this morning

A) Projector
Incorporate a high transparency color display panel from something like a video projector. It functions 1) as a smart color filter with thousands of color options that can cycle or run statically, 2) as a display with a very low bulb setting so you can look directly at the bulb and read all kinds of system info, 3) as a projector (probably with a fixed focus) so you can display all kinds of system or other images/data onto any surface.

B) Built in extension tube
I've seen plastic tube that you unscrew, extend, and then screw/lock into [extended] place. Put this into the body so you can double the battery capacity with a single twist-pull-twist. The center of the L2T already looks small enough to fit inside the section above/below, we would just have to work out how to stabilize the same batteries in different size tubes or be able to run different size batteries together.

C) Connecting flashlights
Complete lights that also function as battery tubes. Put recessed/protected threads inside the top and bottom of every one cell flashlight in such a way (with power contacts) that you can connect two or more flashlights for more runtime, more brightness or both. This would also provide a spare head where if the front one got damaged, you just reverse their order.

EG

Latest posts