Height Gages

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm entertaining the idea of adding a height gage to my shop, so I started looking at ebay, condition it must have a metric scale, alone or along an inches scale. Saw various models from starrett, mitutoyo and brown & sharpe. Also Im looking at the range 6"/150mm-12"/300mm tops, no need for more.

Mitutoyos are all almost the same, B&S there is a model with big numbers that looks nice and Starrett there are various models, but I settled for the 254 and 255 models, so I have a couple of questions:

Is the B&S big numbers model a good unit?
What is the difference between the 254 and the 255? The 255's ends usually far lower than the 254.

Thanks

Pablo

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I know little about B&S but here's the diff on the Starrett models. According to their website "The Starrett 255 is the "baby brother" of the 254 Master Vernier Height Gage. It is essentially the same tool, but a much lighter version for normal use where heavy duty applications are not practical." The bar is much thinner & the vernier adjust is on the slide. The 254 bar is very heavily built & the adjuster is in the base - so you don't risk disturbing your setup while adjusting the vernier.

Image-9853934-216248840-2-WebSmall_0_2100080caf8314a2f03c1ea0d5745037_1

Lots of info here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qYKAAw&usg=AFQjCNFjVOmwzt-GA0O9LTdrMfv9avLEmQ

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Barry, I was wondering what was the use for that knob, now its crystal clear.
It seems the 255 uses the same masterbar as the 123 caliper and the 254 is hollow to allow space for the up/down screw.

Since Im not a heavy user I think both will be OK for my needs, the 123's see use almost every day, I have two and I wish I have a third, my only complaint about the 123 is the lack of depth measure, for that I have a regular vernier caliper and many digitals lying around.

Pablo