Hello Everyone! (my first post)

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
I just discovered this post through an ixquick search on 'LED flashlights'.

Here is a quick introduction. I'm 26, an electronics tech and I have just ordered my first 2 LED flashlights. IMO, incandascent flashlights are a thing of the past, and their days are certainly numbered. Once LED flashlights are READILY and CHEAPLY available with a focusable beam it will be "lights out" for incandescents, right?

What are the first two I ordered? The Pelican L1 and the PAL Survival. The Pelican L1, I think I will equip with silver oxide batteries and keep in the the glovebox of my car. Recently, I was driving down the expressway and my exhaust system came off halfway back and was dragging. I looked in the glovebox and remembered with great distress that I had dropped my AA Maglite while working on the car the last time and broken the bulb. I put it on the shelf and forgot about it completely. Now the time comes and I'm up the creek without a flashlight. Curses! !@#$ So then, I was laying on my back under my car, in the rain (of course) and with no light except the traffic which was actually blinding me. Trying to unhook the rubber exhaust mounts in the dark was a challenge to say the least. Luckily, Officer Friendly came along with his huge Maglite and helped me out. After about an hour of struggling, I got it off the rest of the way and put it in my car. (all 7' of it! I have a hatchback Honda Civic...) So I hope the Pelican will do.

The PAL Survival light is supposed to be my all around light, but I have since discovered that it has quite a tight beam. Darn, that means I will have to get an eternalight too, hehehe.

Next, I will need something to replace the 2D Maglite, I'm thinking a Turtlelight II. Then, I will have to get something for my girlfriend, who is a doctor. (I just read the thread on the guy who's married to a nurse) I have thought of it will have to think of it for a while longer before I decide what to get. Also, I will have to let my checkbook recover for a bit too, hehehe.

I would be curious to hear everyone's feedback (good AND bad, please) on the two lights that are en route to me now...

Thanks and have an outstanding weekend.

-Jeremy

PS - Now to figure out how to attach a little image with my signature...

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard, Jeremy. I don't possess or have experience with either of the lights you've purchased, but if you hang in there someone will be along shortly to help you out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
fc3d9dd8.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeremy,
Welcome to the CPF, it is an interesting place and will tend to heat up your checkbook when you see all the goodies out there.
I used to have a Pelican L1 light (my first LED flashlight) it was OK though it would get dim using those little coin cells. The contacts would bend and the light would flicker and that part pushed me to the Streamlight Batonlight. It has the flicker problem due to a bad positive contact on the LED board so I was not pleased.
Found the CPF, ordered a BB500 regulated Luxeon adaptor and then found a great light! Followed up with a 5D 5 watt Cyan Mag and find that interesting also.
Here great thinks about the Elektrolumens Blaster II (3D custom flashlight with the Luxeon using spotlight 30mm optics) Inretech makes some amazing lights also, as does Arc (have to buy the AAA), Skunklight, Lambda, Mr Bulk and others in this forum.
After a huge power failure last night that took out a few square miles for 7 hours, I now have the excuse to buy more lights. Enjoy the CPF and just buy them all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

shipinretech

Enlightened
Welcome Smaug,

If you still have the body of your Mini-MAG, have I got a deal for you:
Drop in one of our LED adapters and never break the bulb again. Our products are unregulated, which means that you will have light for a very long time.

BendHeadTX, thanks for the good word.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Inretech 2AA with Lithiums would be great for an emergency light. Long runtime, bright, nice floodlike beam, and the Lithiums would last a long time.

BigMac

Enlightened
I have a Lightwave 4000 and I love it. It had a great flood-type beam, and is very bright. It can run for over 48 hours on a set of batteries! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Like any LED light it won't have the throw of an incandescent, but I find it a great replacement for a m@g.

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
But for $27, I would rather have a new flashlight that won't chip my teeth... Thanks for the offer though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jeremy

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Smaug said:
IMO, incandascent flashlights are a thing of the past, and their days are certainly numbered. Once LED flashlights are READILY and CHEAPLY available with a focusable beam it will be "lights out" for incandescents, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome!

Regarding your statement:

Well, yea, when can meet all lighting requirements, and are dirt cheap, why not use them, right?

However, there are some very awesome incandecents, and for some applications, people prefer incandecents.

Take spotlights and auto headlamps. No way is an LED or LED array going to, anytime soon, replace current technology in most autos.

Also, the lowly plain incandecent bulb. While there are better options, it is "good enough" for most people.

Also look at the billions of 1.99 flashlights sold in the world. While no one here would admit to owning one, the people that buy these, don't want to spend more.

Also, look at the SureFire and Streamlight and Princeton Tec and UKe incandecnts. These manufactures make some really nice lights, SureFire in particular makes a light that could be considered a work of art, and the light output could also be considered a work of art too. It is a perfect beam.

So yes, I love the advantages that LED's offer, and I own some custom made 5 watt LED flashlights made by Mr. bulk that are just incredible. BUT, I do not think that there is going to be a replacement for my 2 mil CP Optronics Spotlight anytime soon.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Jeremy

Isn't it always the case??? Just when you need something, it turns out broken! ~:-< and everything works against you!

The 2 lights you have are surely the beginning of a collection you will have if you found out about the CPF.

I have a PAL light and it is sitting battery-less in my box of bits and pieces. Yes, the beam is too tight and the 2 brightless modes are really not useful -- too dim (setting 1) and too narrow beam (level 2). Also I have not found any uses for the blinking mode.

As BentHeadTX said, get a Dat2zip BB400 for your 2AA Mag. BB400 has a longer on-time and is only marginally dimmer than the BB500, which goes through batteries quicker. Both BBs are regulated meaning it will maintain brightness longer before a more rapid discharge compared with instant straightline discharge straight from the word go for non regulated lights. http://anlighten.com/shop/default.php is the site that sells these things.

If you want one, send me a personal message and we can organise something. I have a few spares I bought for someone and they piked out :-(

Also http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=122268&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 has a huge thread on its use.

Keep your 2D Mag. Tear its heart out and modify it into a 5W Luxeon Star light! That will light be one of the lights you will use quite often.

Also get a Space Needle II from MrBulk. You will have lots of fun with its incredible light throw!!! Check the Reviews section for info on this light.