Help me decide: Olight M20 vs. SF LX2

Daylo

Newly Enlightened

gsxrac

Enlightened
I have both, if I could only keep one it would be the LX2. And not because it cost more:thumbsup:

climbinglife

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I am misreading about the LX2, but is the switch a clickie. As I understand it, with the tail cap screwed out you can press for momentay-low and press harder for momentary - high. If you screw it all the way in can you click it on and off.
Thanks guys, if I can click the light on and off I think I might be leaning towards the SF.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
The LX2 is a twisty, you are correct about pushing it in a little for low and pushing it further for high but to turn the light on without holding onto the tailcap, it is twisted a little for low and then tightened the rest of the way for high. Once the tailcap is tightened, it simply turns and leaves the light on and cannot be used as a clicky, it is this simplicity that makes a twisty more reliable than a clicky switch. Hope this helps.

climbinglife

Newly Enlightened
So how is it using the light with one hand? Are you able to twist the light on and off with one hand. I guess it just seems counter intuitive to me, for a light of this size. My p1D is a twisty but it's a pocket light.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
For temporary use, one handed works but to turn it on permanently (twisting the tailcap) 2 hands are typically needed. I suppose it can be done with one hand but not as easily as a light with a tristy head.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it extremely easy to use one hand for twisting.

NyoGel 760 makes it even easier, as do hand grip strength exercises :p

climbinglife

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I think Ive made up my mind. it would seem with this kind of UI, the LX2 wouldn't be too popular for LEO use being you need a hand for your weapon and another for the light which you wouldn't want to keep your thumb on the button as you were, say clearing a building/room.

The money issue became less of an issue with all the positive posts here for the SF but it just seems a bit silly to have a twisty on a light like this.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm the UI is designed for military and LEO purposes...

Momentary is more important in 'tactical' situations... and it isn't hard to hold your thumb on a button anyway :shrug:

Most SF primarily use twisty tailcaps with momentary on.

Plus, there is less chance of failure.

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i think its difficult for someone relatively new to appreciate what SF has to offer.

Olights, Fenix, etc has seemingly such good bang for buck, but they do have their down sides, like thin anodise etc. and i think you don't fully appreciate the quality until you've experienced the low quality stuff.

I don't have any SF yet, but i think im ready to try one out.

climbinglife

Newly Enlightened
I've owned a few Surefire's before so I know the quality is there. Not an easy decision for me though. Still sorta on the fence, but leaning towards the M20 or even a TK-11 after seeing some beam shots. I don't beat the crap out of my lights and don't need them to have perfect anodizing. So it will come down to which UI I like and overall brightness.

Which would you say has more useful spill?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order is LX2, TK11, M20

SurefireLX2.jpg

TK11R2.jpg

OlighM20.jpg

SurefireLX2-1.jpg

TK11R2-1.jpg

OlightM20.jpg

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has more but less defined due to the lack of a reflector.

But I assumed you were no longer interested in comparing with it.

:thumbsup:

Last edited: