Help - Tiger, Magcharger or Ultrastinger?

paulr

Flashaholic
For a walking light I think all of the above are overkill. The Magcharger especially, is heavy enough that you'll get sick of carrying it after just a few minutes.

I'd say get a Streamlight Polystinger. It's nowhere near as powerful as the Tiger/Mag/Ultrastringer, but it's a heck of a lot smaller and lighter, and still plenty bright for most normal purposes.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the Tigerlight and UCL w/LDF for it yesterday. The light had a pretty decent beam to begin with (no batwings and not alot of ringiness). The lens does a great job, however, and really smoothes the beam out nicely. It's practically flawless with the lens. You'd think you were looking at a SF beam or led collimated output (color notwithstanding, of course). I'm very pleased with it, adn surprised as well. I don't think there's any reduction in brightness. You have to remember that you're spreading the light out more smoothly, so the hottest part of the spot is going to be, by design, a little less bright. But outside, the lack of rings and artifacts make this a much more useful light. I'm tempted to get one with the pepper spray.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to disagree that any of those, even the Mag, is too heavy to carry. I have no problem carrying my Mag. Not as easy to carry as something smaller and light, but it isn't really difficult. For walking though, one of the Tigerlight's might be the best choice. The beam is wide enough to light up a path, and with the O.C. model, you have a ready self defense item in hand. The FBOP or 8inch model would be nicer to carry though.
The only negative to any of these, is that short runtime. If you don't need a superbright light, consider a Stinger, or SureFire 8NX, and an extra battery. You could carry the extra battery around in case you needed more than an hour's worth of light.

Latest posts