Hi i'm new and lookinng for a flashlight

CompFreak247

Newly Enlightened
This might not be bright enough, but a very tough light that can be had for cheap and has a long battery life is the Inova X5. I recently got one New In Package (With the newer LED's, too) for $25 with shipping. Your local target store will have them for $35. The batteries are CR123s, which are expensive at local stores but can be found for cheap online, and will give 6 hours of light before the drop to %50, and supposedly another 10+ hours beyond that of dimmer light. It is bright for the size and price, nearly indestructible, and is fairly floody with a good beam. However, it isn't very good for spotting at distances of 50+ feet, although it is visible up to about 100 feet in total darkness, so unless the 'coons come up close, it might be the wrong flashlight for you. Other then that, try a maglite - my dad has a cheap craftsman knockoff, and it seems to work fine. The adjustable head on a maglite is very handy - it allows you to switch from a wide flood to a narrow beam. If you really want to up the light output from a maglite, put a LED bulb in it (Seek the advice of older and more experienced CPF members if you want to try this.)

Hope this helps,
-CompFreak247 (Proud CPF Newbie!)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm betting you seen a cheap 2D light in action. those are usually 15 lumens and have 900 Lux throw. All of the below light will have more then 30 Lumen output and similar throw(1 AA lights, the others throw much further)

Humm, something cheaper. Well, the WF-606 is a pretty good thrower for 2AA batteries, $20.30(review)

You might be able to email Dealextreme if you order the WF-600, 18650 batteries(the ultrafire are pretty much the cheapest protected 18650 batteries, the Trustfires are $1 less), and charger and Knock a few dollars off the total price of $44.57 with shipping. I managed to knock almost $3 off my first purchase by asking DX to shipping everything in one bag and lower the shipping cost. The WF-400 is also a pretty good thrower for $5 less total would be $39.57. Cheapest 18650 reviewed light would be the Ultrafire WF-502B at $17.50 but throw won't be as far. With this light the total would be $34.07.

Going lowest price and with RCR123 batteries(much less runtime) and charger, $11.50 for the batteries and charger. The cheapest throwy Cree light is probably this. Total is now down to $29.46, but runtme is probably down to 30 minutes per battery and less throw instead of 3 hour runtime and 11000 Lux of the WF-600 on 18650 batteries, the WF-400 would have between the WF-600 and other light in throw but should have the same runtime as the WF-600.

The VB-16 kit comes with 2 batteries(Ask them to change the batteries to protected, you don't want the batteries to explode due to over discharging). $37.50 shipped.

I've also heard the Kaidomain 5 Mode light is pretty good. $15. The RC-G2 also seems pretty good $10.90. Both are 1 AA powered lights with good throw for their battery and price but they will still be behind the above lights in throw and output.

If you are really struggling for money but want throw and esay to find batteries(AA), the WF-606 or the RC-G2.

If you can pay up to $50, go for the WF-600 or WF-400 kit(light, batteries and charger).

Either way, I hope you find a light within your price range and with the performance you want.

Last edited:

lumen64

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Gerber Cornea (less than $25)
Or the Streamlight Tasklight 1AA or 2AA, (both under $20)

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a read through this thread: More Canadian light discoveries. A lot of it is limited time specials but there is a lot of info on where to buy flashlights in Canada as well. Hint: go to the last page and work your way back towards the front.

EDIT
I have put all the Canadian store/online info from the above link in a new thread over at Marketplace.

Last edited:

Latest posts