Hi-Lo !AA recommendation

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a 1AA (can use both alkaline and NiMH) LED flashlight with rear clicky switch that has two (and no more, no strobe nor SOS) brightness levels? For high power I am interested in 60 - 80 Lumen range. I purchased the Lumapower LM31 which seemed great as advertised. However, when I got it only high power would work. The first click gave no light and the second click gave full power. Evidently Lumapower has very bad quality control or makes defective items. I really liked the orange peal front element for uniform lighting and the white color and smoothness of the beam. However, since low power does not work I can not use it for close-up work. Are there any other flahlights available with the same characteristics as the LM31, but has a low power in addition to high? If not are there and that have only a high power of 60 - 80 lumens and will work with eiteher alkaline or NiMH 1AA battery?

CheviotMike
http://mstecker.com

Marduke

Flashaholic
Fenix L1T V2.0

However, ANY high power LED light will not perform well on alkalines. They will work ok in short bursts, but fail in continuous usage. NiMH is the best option for constant, regulated output.

L1T is out of stock, but will return in January, hopefully in an updated form.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I purchased the Lumapower LM31 which seemed great as advertised. However, when I got it only high power would work. The first click gave no light and the second click gave full power. Evidently Lumapower has very bad quality control or makes defective items.
Definitely contact Lumapower or the dealer you bought it from and arrange a RMA (return merchandise authorization).

The LM-31 is a very nice light, and well suited for your task IMO. I had a faulty module that developed flickering over time - I contacted Ricky at Lumapower (I had bought it direct), and he arranged a RMA the next day. I had the light back in my hands in under 3 weeks, which is pretty remarkable given it would have taken a least a week to get there from here.

The Fenix L1T v2.0 is a great light, but its low mode is very bright in comparison (over 3X brighter in my testing). The only light I know that can give you a lower low mode is the Rexlight 2.1. This light can be run in simple 2-stage mode sequence state(lo-hi), but it has two other state series (lo-med-hi, and lo-med-hi-strobe-sos). Unfortunately, you switch between states by turning it off within a defined period on low (between 2-4 secs or 4-6secs, depending on state). This means its easy to accidentally switch out lo-hi state if you commonly use it in lo mode.

You can compare the LM31, Fenix L1T v2.0 and Rex 2.1 in my multi-AA comparison review listed in my signature block.

jugg2

Enlightened
+1

I just got one that I ordered for my dad. I really haven't had the chance to put it through its paces yet, but I can already tell it is really bright on high, it is slightly brighter than my P2D Rebel on high (not turbo). On low it puts out enough light for most situations. The fact that it runs on AAs is the reason I bought it for my dad, plus the simple 2 mode UI. Hope this helps.:)

EDIT: I am recommending the L1T V2.0, I thought I was right behind Marduke. guess I'm a little slow.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
LM 31 all the way! $27 from batteryjunction with Cpf discount. It is regulated! Simple quality clicky Low-hi-off. Glass lens op Al reflector glow switch boot, very very nice. LM 31, LM 31, LM 31!!!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Forgot to mention it above, but the EDGE Tactical NiteCore Defender Infinity can be run as a simple 2-stage light, and has both the lowest low and highest hi of any AA light in my collection. See the review of a pre-production model in my signature block. It's a superb light, but it pricey ($79.99 MSRP).

The initial production run is currently being mailed out to early adopters here at CPF. Not sure when when the full shipping run is expected out. Check directly with EDGE Tactical or their US distributer TadGear for more info (threads are in the CPF marketplace).

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that it runs on AAs is the reason I bought it for my dad
(the L1T V2.0)

Keep in mind the L1T runs a lot better with the energizer lithium AA battery or NiMH rechargeables. The High mode run time and regulation with Alkaline AA's are a little weak. Low mode regulation and runtime with alkalines isn't bad. See Selfbuilt's review.

Last edited:

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
Re: Hi-Lo 1AA recommendation

I payed $31 for my LM31 at BatteryJunction.com. What is the CPF discount?

CheviotMike

"LM 31 all the way! $27 from batteryjunction with Cpf discount."

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
See the CPF Specials thread.

Unfortunately there are few alternatives for a simple 1 or 2 stage clickie AA light. However the Lumapower lights are great. It sounds to me like your switch is bad. I think the LM31 uses a resistor in the tailcap to do low and high modes. If you bought it from BatteryJunction they will take care of it. You have nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
You already obtained what is probably the best bang-for-the-buck deal in 2-stage, 1xAA LED flashlights currently on the market: The LumaPower LM31. I'm probably going to buy two, myself: One for a Christmas present and one for myself. LumaPower is not known for shoddy quality. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm sure either the dealer or LumaPower (depending upon from which you purchased it) will take care of you--arrange to get it sent back for repair or replacement.

Jim

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
I would not be so sure regarding quality of LumaPower products. Evidently defective rear switches are not uncommon to the LM31 as this problem was mentioned before:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2169930
Apparently they have not addressed the quality control problem regarding this flashlight. Also, I am not sure I can get a replacement for the LM31 as Battery Junction says that I need to return everything including packaging (which I no longer have). It also bothers me that I have to pay the shipping charge to return a defective item. Good companies usually pay for the shipping and even email you a pre-paid shipping label. I guess you get what you pay for!

Michael Stecker

SEMIJim

Enlightened
I would not be so sure regarding quality of LumaPower products. Evidently defective rear switches are not uncommon to the LM31 as this problem was mentioned before:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2169930
Apparently they have not addressed the quality control problem regarding this flashlight.
Hmmm... Before I order, I'll have to make sure to ping Matt about this issue and see what he has to say. I had another question for him, anyway, so I guess I'll get to it.

Also, I am not sure I can get a replacement for the LM31 as Battery Junction says that I need to return everything including packaging (which I no longer have). It also bothers me that I have to pay the shipping charge to return a defective item. Good companies usually pay for the shipping and even email you a pre-paid shipping label. I guess you get what you pay for!
I guess you didn't read (all of) the thread you cited!

You will note that people experiencing problems were shipped replacement switches. Have you even tried contacting BatteryJunction to ask them what they will or will not do for you? They have a sterling reputation here on CPF.

Jim

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have contacted both LumaPower and BatteryJunction.com via emails. The latter says I should return the flashlight with "all original parts and packaging" (which I no longer have). All I really want is a flashlight that works correctly. If this is because of a defective rear switch assembly I think it would be reasonable to send me a replacement.

CheviotMike

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to address this question of quality controls.

The LM31 and LM33 are produced in large quantities. I am aware of 3 posts here regarding bad bad switches. Since the LM31/LM33 were released we have shipped about 1000 of these lights. Even if we assume that 30, not 3, people got lights with defective switches (not the case) this would still result in a defective rate of about .03% which is a FANTASTIC, even enviable defect rate. A few reported problems among thousands of shipped units is not a quality control problem.

I know we all want every item to be perfect every time but I think we all also know that that is not realistic; not even Surefire can attain those levels of perfection - it's just not possible. So, knowing that we're looking at a defective rate well below 1% I don't think it's appropriate to declare a QC problem.

LumaPower tests every light before releasing it but sometimes failures occur only after the light has had more runtime or during shipment. All we can do is to make the best of unfortunate situations and that's what we're trying to do.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to address this question of quality controls.

The LM31 and LM33 are produced in large quantities. I am aware of 3 posts here regarding bad bad switches. Since the LM31/LM33 were released we have shipped about 1000 of these lights. Even if we assume that 30, not 3, people got lights with defective switches (not the case) this would still result in a defective rate of about .03% which is a FANTASTIC, even enviable defect rate. A few reported problems among thousands of shipped units is not a quality control problem.

I know we all want every item to be perfect every time but I think we all also know that that is not realistic; not even Surefire can attain those levels of perfection - it's just not possible. So, knowing that we're looking at a defective rate well below 1% I don't think it's appropriate to declare a QC problem.

LumaPower tests every light before releasing it but sometimes failures occur only after the light has had more runtime or during shipment. All we can do is to make the best of unfortunate situations and that's what we're trying to do.
Actually, 30 out of 1000 works out to 3%, which might not be considered a very good defect rate.

c_c

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL oops, bad math - still, 3% is not a bad rate at all in the world of manufacturered goods.

Actually there are some people who are very serious about zero defects, but you're right, it's ugly in some places.

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
Well, since I'm considering one of these lights, how does that tailcap compare to a Fenix? Just curious, since Fenix at one time (if memory serves) had a problem with their clicky.