• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

High CRI Nichias for D.I.Y.

StanTeate

Enlightened
I am putting in an order for 10 today. I will keep 3-4 and and two more are spoken for, so that leaves 4 or 5 left over. Post your interest or PM me.

Stan Teate

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my first attempt at building a flashlight.
CIMG3072.jpg
I "can" tell you my son is very happy with the outcome. I used 2 of the Nichias from Don in series powered by a common 9 volt battery with a pair of Blue Osram BLO2x<ROHS>
CIMG3073.jpg
CIMG3079.jpg

10v . This is a very primitive light but it provides great flood without any type of optics and nice low light from the blue.
CIMG3077.jpg
CIMG3081.jpg

Last edited:

Barefootone

Enlightened
Here's my first attempt at building a flashlight.
CIMG3072.jpg
I "can" tell you my son is very happy with the outcome. I used 2 of the Nichias from Don in series powered by a common 9 volt battery with a pair of Blue Osram BLO2x<ROHS>
CIMG3073.jpg
CIMG3079.jpg

10v . This is a very primitive light but it provides great flood without any type of optics and nice low light from the blue.
CIMG3077.jpg
CIMG3081.jpg

Griff,
That is one very eclectic flashlight :crackup:. Hey it works, but it might be hard to carry in a holster. Nice job and I thought I was the only one who has an old Colman's Mustard Can sitting around.

manoloco

Enlightened
Oh yea. They sure do!!!
I expected this based on somthing Don said but was suprised to see it.
Yaesumofo

sorta related in a far way, i just played with an amber cabochon i had, and it has a quick afterglow!, placing it in the business end of a flashlight then turning it off shows a faint circular glow that holds for around 3 seconds, i had no idea amber had those properties, will check what is amber composed of.

anyone has more info on this?

manoloco

Enlightened
If i were to mod a new version Surefire E1L or an old 4 flats L1 with a nichia 83 what would i need to do? any chance the optics fit? (however i dont think the optics are a good option for this kind of emitter)

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
I've scoured the thread, and couldn't find an answer to this question:

Is it possible/practical to remove these emitters from the MCPCB?

Thanks in advance.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you put the MCPCB on a hot plate, you can lift the LED off with tweezers when the solder reflows.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I set my plate at 225C and shut it off as soon as the solder has flowed. YMMV

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
Are these still available?? If so, anybody interested in splitting a batch? :wave: I am interested in doing a DIY desk light with these!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yes,
Still available. I will modify the subject and let it be known if the status changes.

W8HF

Newly Enlightened
Are these still available?? If so, anybody interested in splitting a batch? :wave: I am interested in doing a DIY desk light with these!

I would also like to go in on a split. I was looking to get 2-4. Anyone else?

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
Basically I'm going to use these for a CreeBar I want to build for a desk light, so how many of these do you guys think would be necessary? 4, 5? I dont want it to bee to bright to hurt my eyes while reading and not so low to not be able to draw/read properly. Sounds like we might make the 10 min order! :)

wquiles

Flashaholic
Don - you got incoming email from me to get a batch of 10 :D

Recommended max drive is 400mA, right?

Also, what is the typical vf for these?

Will

Last edited: