Hobbies?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
what the heck is airsoft gun? where is it legal to play it?

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not much that hasent already been said: flashlights, knifes (small swords too), some photography but I'm more into photoshop, video games of various kinds, and my lastest is learning to code to try and make a MMOLRPG.

LaserFreak

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
picard said:
what the heck is airsoft gun? where is it legal to play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are pictures posted in this thread of what they look like...for a description of the sport, refer to my post on page 1. To find out if it is legal in your area, the best thing is to check with your local law enforcement.

unnerv

Enlightened
Airsoft can be likened to paintball. They shoot little 6mm plastic bbs. The big difference in Airsoft, is generally the game is played (at least for us) more missioned based as opposed to eliminating the other team. The emphasis is on military simulation. So we have all the tactial gear etc too. The other big difference is that it is an honor based game. The BB's leave no marks so it is up to each player to realize that he has been hit and calls out.

They are also really fun for just plinking around. I shoot mine indoors into a little mesh trap. Not as accurate as a good pellet gun but they are much safer. As long as you have eye protection and your mouth closed very little damage can occur to your person.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
In July 2004, and June 2005 my wife and I have had two sets of twin girls. The first are fraternal, and the second set born this June are identical. So as you can imagine, the status of ALL these hobbies is "on hiatus until further notice".

But up until then, here they were:

Shooting:
General gun collecting
Target-Defensive shooting
Curio and Relic collector's license (Buy "old stuff" through the mail legaly without a dealer or background checks)
Trap shooting leauge.
Vintage Military rifle matches. WWI and WWII bolt-action rifle matches at 100 and 200 yards.

Airsoft:
Tokyo Mauri copy of the FNp90 (Like the futuristic SMG on Stargate for non-gunnies) Automatic electric gun (AEG)
Used to play way cool skirmishes in the old warehouse complex where a friend of a friend works, and had the boss/owner's permission to play in unused areas. Much cheaper than paintball, and more fun too. (to me, not knocking paintball.) I'm praying I'm not too old and fat when the kiddies are old enough that I have some free time to "play army" again.

Camping:
It's been all "car camping" since meeting the wife. However, I would like to get back to more "hardcore" backpack and canoe camping someday.

Scouting:
I was hoping to get back into Cub/Boy scouts when we had kids. I'll see what I can do with Girl Scouts/Brownies, but I don't hold out much hope. If my mother's and little sisters troop is any guide, "urban/suburban" Girl Scouts seem to spend all their time making braclets and community service posters, and "camped" exactly one night in four years at a "cabin" which resided within a public park within city limits. Hopefully, my girls if they're interested, can find a better troop that actualy does some outdoors activites.

SciFi:
I like SciFi, mostly books by hard-sf or "masters" Heinlien, Asimov, Bradbury, Niven, Card, Vinge, etc.. I tend not to like the "me-too pulp" once a subgenera has been defined. i.e. Cyberpunk, I like Gibson, Sterling, and Stephenson. I don't usually read the copycat books by lesser/unkown authors trying to cash in after the fact. I avoid most fantasy, comics, "collectables" and conventions like the plauge. I like SF movies and TV with a grain of salt. I do like the new Battlestar Galactica as it does a good job focusing on plot twists and character development.

That's me. As I said above, all of these are pretty much on hold because we are up to our elbows in babies. I do manage to read a SF book bit by bit as I hold a bottle, and I sneak 45 minutes a week to watch Battlestar Galactica, using the Tivo to fast-forward the commercials.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I don't mean to hijack the thread with airsoft pics, but just want to share more.
3-19-05BlackHawkDowngame011.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of my other hobbies.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sailing (though I don't get to do much lately), Photography , Reading, DX'ing (Radio and Radio Scanner stuff), as much camping and backpacking as I can fit in, and watching the pretty ladies on the bus (the only thing that makes my daily commute tolerable) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh and I do have a couple of Airsoft guns, mostly used to give my wife some initial firearms handling training before we started going to the range.

InFlux

Enlightened
I make silver jewelery.

I used to just make wire wrapped rings, pendants, and earrings. But have recently expanded my techniques to hard soldering and now a bit of forging.

It's always been a hobby that I pick up every couple of months. But now that I've invested so much in tools and materials, I'm ramping up to try a few craft shows- maybe in the fall.

Other hobbies include collecting bootleg CD's, reading (mostly non-fiction) and DX'ing scanners. I also like to car camp, day hike, and organize my BOB and medical stuff.

We also have three small parrots that need a lot of attention.

cslinger

Enlightened
Hobbies? Hmmmm, let me see. Here is a subtle hint, and they ain't Airsoft toys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif There are some companies that make spectacular Airsoft replicas though.

059007.JPG

059008.JPG

002401.JPG

033869.JPG

032308.JPG

036202.JPG

036203.JPG

062164.JPG

061014.JPG

LaserFreak

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cslinger said:
Hobbies? Hmmmm, let me see. Here is a subtle hint, and they ain't Airsoft toys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif There are some companies that make spectacular Airsoft replicas though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...remind me not to come to your house uninvited... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most of us Airsofters don't consider our guns toys, we in fact treat them as if they were real firearms.

I don't have a site that I can hotlink a pic to, so I'll just post the link to the pic of my new Airsoft replica of a Glock 19:

My Airsoft Glock 19

cslinger

Enlightened
Laser freak. I was just joshing with you with the toys comment. Airsoft does some really cool stuff.

Unnerv, yeah I don't see California sending me a key to any of their cities anytime soon. I do have some California legal stuff though, just didn't post everything.

I will let you in on a little secret though. It just doesn't get much better than the M1 Garand and M1A and both are California legal. Just keep that on the hush hush because as soon as they find out they are fun capable rifles they will ban those too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

unnerv

Enlightened
yeah, I have an M1A socom and love that rifle. A few 1911's too. You don't really need much more but there is a big difference between need and want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BlueGerbil

Newly Enlightened
Hobby #1: My Jeep (see below), we´ve got two more Cherokees (daily driver for my wife and me)

We´re keeping mongolian gerbils, I´m very active in the Degree Confluence Project (www.confluence.org) and do some geocaching. Of course we like traveling, especially northern scandinavia and southern france and beer is another "hobby" :)

bg036.jpg

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, cslinger, that is one impressive collection! You're like a one man army!

As for hobbies, besides flashlights, I enjoy riding my bike (at night with my bright lights on), I love eating at good restaurants. I really enjoy Badminton, although I haven't played too much in the last 15 months because of ankle injuries, but I did play a couple of weeks ago and I held up OK. I'll probably play again on Sunday. And I'm about to embark on a new hobby adventure--R/C Nitro Cars. My friend's wife got one for his birthday last month and it was so much fun I decided to get one myself. His wife also just bought one for herself last week.

And I can't forget CPF.....!

cslinger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, cslinger, that is one impressive collection! You're like a one man army!

[/ QUOTE ]

Behind every great man is a greater woman. I am not that great but I do have a great woman. So technically that would be one man, one woman army.

My lovely wife is a willing participant and enabler of my addicti......ahhh I mean hobby...yeah hobby that's it. Some of those are her toys for example the M1A and HK USC .45 carbine are hers, I get to play with them but she has made it perfectly clear they are hers. Who am I to argue? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sheslinger putting down a Water Mellon rebellion.
070336-big.JPG

....and a job well done. It was touch and go for a while and things looked bleak when they brought up Honey Dew reinforcements but in the end the day was ours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
070335-big.JPG

To all wife beaters and abusers, you have been put on notice, one day your victi....ahhh wife just may take up a new "hobby".
070334-big.jpg

cslinger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
there is a big difference between need and want

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I am so far past justifing new toys it's not even funny. So unless mutant ninja grizzly bears with telekinetic powers and machineguns become a real threat then I am stuck with falling back on that 9 year old face and a pouting "But I waaannn it." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

funny thing is I don't even hunt. I have no problem with hunting at all and if anybody wants to send me Venison or Moose feel free but I just don't think I would have the heart to drop the hammer on Bambi unless I was in a "need to hunt" for food situation.

Clay and paper is just fine with me, I have no desire to ever shoot anything that bleeds or has/had a mom 2 or 4 legs. I am kinda wimpy like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I have a m1 garand and is one of the most fun guns to shoot. I love the "ching" sound it makes when the you fire the last shot. and the recoil isnt too bad considering it is a 30-06.
Or I like seeing how fast I could shoot my dad's semi 12 gauge. we got our M1 for around $400 i think. It was made in the korean war, so its a late model.