Other hobbies besides collecting? Pics encouraged.

Acid87

Enlightened
Samy said:
I try to take the family camping to Fraser Island a few times per year, we're setup with a Jeep and offroad camper trailor:

Check out our camping kitchen:

I also compete in offroad Motorcycle Trials (MotoTrials). Here's some videos i took at a recent competition:

http://youtu.be/FXRGNW14pho

http://youtu.be/zmQVqYBDTis

cheers

I was over there on holiday last year. Awesome place even managed to see a dingo stealing a fisher mans catch he had buried. Could imagine it's a great place to camp for a flashaholic. I was far too wasted to play with my lights.

ChocHabanero

Newly Enlightened
- Growing chillis (and cross pollinating them)
- Football
- Home Audio
- DSLR Photography
- Drinking beer :sssh:

brembo

Enlightened
dwall.bmp

I ride as often as possible, I avoid tracks and concentrate on single track. Riding bud and i are considering taking trials riding lessons next year. We both ride modified KTMs, modified to be quiet and lessen trail damage. A fun day for us involves finding places a mountain goat would be wary of and finding crazy hard lines to conquer the mountain. Off the beaten path is the motto we ride by. I am a cartographer/surveyor and he's a dentist, makes for an odd team, tho his dead reckoning skills are insane good. We keep a GPS with us in case we get too frisky and get turned around. I have 5k+ miles on my KTM and all but 300-400 are from trails that most people would not dare walk on. If it looks impossible we are all over it.

Samy

Enlightened
dwall.bmp

I ride as often as possible, I avoid tracks and concentrate on single track. Riding bud and i are considering taking trials riding lessons next year. We both ride modified KTMs, modified to be quiet and lessen trail damage. A fun day for us involves finding places a mountain goat would be wary of and finding crazy hard lines to conquer the mountain. Off the beaten path is the motto we ride by. I am a cartographer/surveyor and he's a dentist, makes for an odd team, tho his dead reckoning skills are insane good. We keep a GPS with us in case we get too frisky and get turned around. I have 5k+ miles on my KTM and all but 300-400 are from trails that most people would not dare walk on. If it looks impossible we are all over it.

Sounds like you'd love trials. Check out the video links in my previous post. Here's my mate testing his new trials bike earlier this year, it was his first time on a bike in 10 years so he was a bit rusty. Yes that's my backyard ;) Video link

cheers

brembo

Enlightened
We run trials tires, tubeliss system so we can drop the pressures down around 7 psi and crawl around on slick rock. What your friend was doing is essentially what we do, just imagine more rocks and roots and make it steeper. I'd love to learn how to turn EASILY on steep hillsides like he was doing, that is one of my weak points. Going up them I have pretty well handled. i just this year switched to a trials front tire and I'm kicking myself for waiting this long. I always thought the front would wash out really easily if it was a trials tire. Been using a rear trials tire since about 1986 however. I love making the motocross guys look dumb on hillclimbs with my "sissy' tire.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
i was into car audio, well i still am but not as much anymore. also r/c cars since i was a kid but had a lapse and re-discovered them a couple years ago. i also like watches but cant even start to afford a decent auto swiss piece so i just look lol...
Nice to see a fellow bass head here. I'm guessing you are over on SSA?

Anyways.. I'm into car and home audio and Jeeps. Here is my latest build log over on SSA.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/45420-colbys-golf-tdi-build-hope-you-like-pics/

Here is another build log I dug up of my old 21" Incrimidator Audio Death Penalties. They eventually each had a pair of Sundown Audio 1500's strapped for around 7k rms. The enclosure was tuned to 32hz IIRC. I burped a 149.8 legal on the dash with warm amps after a demo. That was with only two SAZ1500D's. I never got it metered with four.

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/build-logs/59830-diablos-build-log-2-dp21s.html

Here is an even older build in the same truck. 8 Sundown SD1v1 10's on a single SAZ1500D. The enclosure a STD bass reflex. This setup got stupid loud for "only" 1500 watts and sounded great as well when I dialed back the volume. All of these videos were taken during the initial testing. The false floor wasn't finished among other things. Here are a few videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZStMkxwPXk&feature=player_profilepage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px_dtlSX7L4

The song in this last one isn't work friendly.
http://www.youtube.com/user/webre331#p/u/2/sRpSm9k8l-Y

Last edited:

woodentsick

Enlightened
My Hobbies:

Java Programming:

Screenshot2011-09-29atPM074651.png

Climbing:

rockclimbing.jpg

Hiking:

DSCN1898.jpg

I also love Karate (2nd Dan Black Belt) and Physics, and....etc :D

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Other hobbies besides collecting?

Gardening
Tae KwonDo (I've been an instructor for a few years now)
Hiking / backpacking
I used to bicycle a lot, but had to limit my hobbies - I can do only a few of them @ 100%.

And guns / shooting ... I don't need to go there. ;)

predator86

Newly Enlightened
I enjoy grilling and trying new recipes. Gonna try and build a smoker in the spring.

Sent from my VS910 4G

ViviTEI

Banned

Gardening! It's one of the main reasons I've chosen to live in a rural area all these years. I learned the love of gardening from my Mom as a kid and have had a green thumb ever since. I enjoy growing things; pretty much everything from flowers, shrubs and trees, to fruit, berries and vegetables.

As far as hobbies go, I guess it's primarily the vegetable garden. I've always thought of it as a hobby that pays for itself but it's become much more than that. About two years ago I went to the trouble of calculating an estimate of the value of the produce coming from my garden and realized that the organic produce I grow between May and September (edit: early November actually, I forgot about the kale & Brussels sprouts) would cost between $1500 and $2000 (perhaps more) and is of a quality and freshness you just can't buy in a store even at the local farm stands or farmer's markets. I manage to grow several hundred pounds of apples, pears and blueberries as well.

glettuce2.jpg

Glettuce1.jpg

gcrrot.jpg

ppr.jpg

One of the gardens. There are several.
gden.jpg

SPS_3700.jpg

Traded these with a neighbor who raises rabbits.
elis.jpg

hehe , your gardening is great. the vegetable and fruit are cute . when i have time and money, i want to have my gardening also .

ViviTEI

Banned

Gardening! It's one of the main reasons I've chosen to live in a rural area all these years. I learned the love of gardening from my Mom as a kid and have had a green thumb ever since. I enjoy growing things; pretty much everything from flowers, shrubs and trees, to fruit, berries and vegetables.

As far as hobbies go, I guess it's primarily the vegetable garden. I've always thought of it as a hobby that pays for itself but it's become much more than that. About two years ago I went to the trouble of calculating an estimate of the value of the produce coming from my garden and realized that the organic produce I grow between May and September (edit: early November actually, I forgot about the kale & Brussels sprouts) would cost between $1500 and $2000 (perhaps more) and is of a quality and freshness you just can't buy in a store even at the local farm stands or farmer's markets. I manage to grow several hundred pounds of apples, pears and blueberries as well.

glettuce2.jpg

Glettuce1.jpg

gcrrot.jpg

ppr.jpg

One of the gardens. There are several.
gden.jpg

SPS_3700.jpg

Traded these with a neighbor who raises rabbits.
elis.jpg

hehe , your gardening is great. the vegetable and fruit are cute . when i have time and money, i want to have my gardening also .

Hacken

Enlightened
i collect gold/silver coins and also buy collectible toys, drag/street race as another hobby besides flashlights and knives.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
I don't collect flashlights; I buy them to enable me to enjoy my real passions (no offense intended). In no particular order, they include: hunting, nighttime freshwater snorkeling, rock climbing, auto repair, fitness competitions, and photography. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
add 6 more to this picture including the 4 below that I refinished myself
IMAG0053c.jpg

IMAG0176.JPG

IMAG0143.JPG

Purposely "reliced" to look like Keith Richards "micawber"
IMAG0222.JPG

2011-07-05_15-26-50_27.jpg

a few years ago and 40 pounds lighter
IMAGE086.jpg

kevinants.jpg

Mt Rainier
kevmarkranier.jpg

100_0533.JPG

100_0532.JPG

2003 Xl883 converted by me to NRHS 1250 kit, Andrews N4 cams Dyna 2000i ignition 80/80 hp/tq
newjugsa.jpg

0916071356.jpg

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
NGD

Just wanted to share with you guys another one of my hobbies.
Just got this today this makes number 19, 17 electrics 2 acoustics.
2011 Fender Telecaster Standard FSR in Copper Burst. Perfect action, great feel

2011-12-06_16-13-32_47.jpg

2011-12-06_16-09-47_258.jpg

2011-12-06_16-09-28_937.jpg

2011-12-06_16-09-13_122.jpg