Other hobbies besides collecting? Pics encouraged.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Other hobbies besides collecting?

Embedded systems design (32-bit applications) and mechanical design with Solidworks.

test-6j.jpg

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had quite a few hobbies over the years. When I was a lot younger I used to collect pens and pencils, preferring mechanical drafting pencils and fountain pens. I was into cycling, too, but, couldn't afford anything significant. When I got old enough to drive my focus changed to cars and stereos. Again, I couldn't really afford anything back then. I've gotten into photography, starting in '83 taking photography classes in high school. Yes, we were exposing cellulose back in those days. I got into fresh water fishing back in the '80s and I got into rod building as well. I also got into knife collecting and guns as well. I got into computers and building them back around '92. I got into R/C cars back around '98 and did it seriously for a few years. My brother and I got into modifying nitro engines, but, lost interest right around the time that brushless motors exploded onto the scene. I still have a bunch of nitro and electric cars. I bought my mill because I wanted to make my own parts because my brother and I wanted tougher parts than what we could buy. Lately, though, I've gotten into cycling, both riding and building bikes. Cycling at night got me into finding lighting solutions for commuting after dark and this led to me having an obsession with flashlight collecting. I guess you can say that I've always been a flashaholic, but, I can afford to buy more and better lights than I ever have been able to in the past.

carrot

Flashaholic

cdrake261

Enlightened

I'm lucky to be able to afford flashlights as my hobby...otherwise guns is what I like to collect and shoot. The most accurate riffle I had was a WW2 Swiss k31...7mm nickel clad military surplus rounds can nail bulleyes at 200yards open sights.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
d06705a5-e97a-cbd3.jpg
d06705a5-e98c-b515.jpg
d06705a5-e99f-0e8d.jpg
d06705a5-e9ac-e326.jpg
d06705a5-e9d0-4732.jpg
d06705a5-ea0a-03fb.jpg

My other hobby, or part time job is playing piano in a couple of bands. The first couple pics are a Jensen console piano I restored some years back. The other pics are of my Yamaha keyboard I use on stage and a pic someone took and sent to me of me playing a show.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My other big-time hobby at the moment is Geocaching.

It gets me to vistas like this:
IMG_1101.JPG

I've found over 300 caches (yes, only new at this!) in this area:
Screen%252520Shot%2525202011-09-20%252520at%2525204.29.04%252520PM.png

And some stats:
stat.aspx
img.aspx

The ranking stat takes some time to update - so it doesn't always match my current find count.

bigjoe25ss

Newly Enlightened
I have had many hobbies over the years but my current ones are

1 anodizing titanium
user32114_pic78235_1315017855.jpg

2 paracord belt making
imag0024.jpg

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm at work right now so I can't post any pics :(. I have a few hobbies that I am currently delving into and there are a few that I plan to get back into in the near future.

Currently:
my 1967 Chevy Chevelle w/ 396 big block
gym
collecting Gold & Silver bullion
Aikido
Judo

The last two I have not participated in for 2 yrs now but in a month or 2 I plan to get back on the mat. Hopefully I will be able to receive my black belt in Aikido (brown belt) soon.

Last edited:

MorePower

Enlightened

Spelunking and...coin collecting. I haven't been in to the coin collecting much in recent years with my kids coming along (and my flashlight hobby), but I acquired enough prior to my flashlight collection to have a pretty nice collection. Of special note are my Confederate $10 bill. A near mint 1950C $20 I got from an ATM in Cherokee NC. I have 10-15 lbs of silver American coins from Silver Eagles, Morgan/Peace dollars, Franklin/Kennedy Halves, a bunch of silver quarters/dimes, etc. I also have an 1865(?) "V" nickel I got from my dad he got when he was a boy, and handed it down to me.

"V", or Liberty, nickels were minted from 1883 to 1912 (well, there were 5 made in 1913, but that doesn't really count). If you have an 1885, that is the key to the series and worth a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. I started collecting coins as a kid and recently got back into it. I've managed to complete a set of Liberty nickels, all dates and mint marks, and am working on a type set of classic commemorative half dollars. I have quite a few other series in process, but it's likely I'll never finish most of them. I just can't bring myself to spend as much on a single coin as some of the key dates currently cost.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shooting, knife-throwing, martial arts, modding and knife-making.

varmint

Enlightened

Other hobbies are way too many!, Horses, working cattle, combat pistol shooting, training and showing working dogs, fishing and probably more.
IMG_2389-1.jpg

richpalm

Banned

What a face! Is that Scared Dog or Worried Dog? <g>

Walking my dogs and I do it at night so I get a lot of flashlight grin time. If you want advice on a good walking setup, I'm the guy to see!

I restore old radios, both tube and transistor ca. ~1940's-1970's, mostly Zeniths. First love is the Trans-Oceanic. I built a flea-power AM transmitter, run that into an MP3 player, download old radio shows and listen to them on my vintage sets. So if I want to listen to a show, I can do it with a period correct radio. Since I'm a night guy, I can get Radio Australia after 0300 locally and it's neat listening on my 1953 Trans-Oceanic. I don't care what anyone says... that's a long haul!

I do yoga also for my mental sanity and it gets me into deep relaxation and sheds the over-50 aches and pains. I love it-it's been a miracle for me. Complete life changer.

Rich

kwak

Enlightened

Jep - nice E-Revo. I've got a similar setup but with a Neu motor and PL Badlands tires. Surprised to see so many RC people coming out in this thread. I was heavy into RC for about 5 years until my daughter was born, so haven't touched it much in the past two years. RC-Monster.com was where I spent my time. I was big into converting nitro 1/8 buggies and trucks to brushless/LiPo power before companies like OFNA and X-RAY started making models available. My nicest buggy is a converted XB8-EC 1/8 scale buggy - this thing just hauls - I've measured max power draw at 1200-1500Watts on a 6-cell (22.2V) 2.6Ah 50C LiPO (would love to be able to run that power through a flashlight!!!)

I do a little bit of N-scale model training, but no permanent setups. Just something to have fun with.

I also have a Miata that I enjoy working on and upgrading here and there. So far, by myself, I've done a full audio system upgrade, header/midpipe/muffler replacement, ECU re-tune, all maintenance and a few other little one hour tweak jobs.

:oops:

Here's my 94 1.8 with MP62

P1020665-1.jpg

P1020183.jpg

IMG_0050-1.jpg

Also enjoy RC cars
Here's a few of the ones i currently have.

M04M

IMG_6603.jpg

Blitz

IMG_4991.jpg

Firestorm

IMG_3060.jpg

ERevo
Please excuse the wiring, i was experimenting :D

IMG_8179.jpg

Mines the bug (MRC)

IMG_7571.jpg

Cyclone WRC drift car

IMG_6623-1.jpg

2nd Cyclone drifter

indexphp.jpg

Small world huh

Also into fish keeping

015-1.jpg

Motorbikes

Picture050.jpg

Cycling

1024x768003.jpg

04062010156-1.jpg

Hiking/camping/bushcraft
Boats
Fishing
Free diving etc etc

Too many hobbies not enough time :(

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened

Carrot, where are you rock climbing in NYC?

carrot

Flashaholic

Carrot, where are you rock climbing in NYC?

I climb indoors regularly and outdoors when opportunities present themselves. I can be found at Brooklyn Boulders on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays in the evenings.

Samy

Enlightened

I try to take the family camping to Fraser Island a few times per year, we're setup with a Jeep and offroad camper trailor:

TeewahSeptember2010054.jpg

TeewahSeptember2010049.jpg

Check out our camping kitchen:

TeewahSeptember2010090.jpg

I also compete in offroad Motorcycle Trials (MotoTrials). Here's some videos i took at a recent competition:

http://youtu.be/FXRGNW14pho

http://youtu.be/zmQVqYBDTis

cheers

Latest posts