holly molly scary stuff jet just flew over house

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: holly molly scary stuff jet just flew over hou

McGuire AFB just had an airshow 3 and 4 days ago. Had the Blue Angels of course.......was very good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

For those of you not familiar with the Blue Angels.....look here. (NOT 56k happy)

The most skilled aeronautical acrobats in thew world, often flying as close as 24 inches apart.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nerdgineer, Fifi is the 29 I saw, and yep, it's the only one still flying. I believe there are others on static display (in museums, for example).

Craig, the B29 was a WWII long range, (for the time) high altitude bomber. The Enola Gay was a B29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. This is a large (LARGE!) four engine airplane.

Forgot to mention the other fun aeronautical thing I happened upon. Used to work near a hospital with no official helipad at the time -- they used to land medflights in a parking lot. While walking during my lunch break one day I saw a friend of mine who works for the security department standing next to a state police helicopter, so I walked over to talk with him. I noticed about 6" of one of the rotors was gone and that one of the pine trees was about 2' shorter than I had remembered it. My buddy said that the pilot had encountered a wind gust on liftoff and topped the tree. One lucky sonofagun. That should have been messy and left a big old mark.

BTW, Rochester NY is having an air show this weekend with the Thunderbirds. There will be F15's, F18's, an F86, and more. If you're in the area, check out RochesterAirShow.com for a list of aircraft -- check under "displays" and you'll see what was requested and what has been confirmed.

Gryffin

Enlightened

Scariest incident I experienced was out in Whittier, California, east of Los Angeles.

Right over my house was the "entrance" to the landing pattern for LAX, so we were pretty used to the sound of four-engine jets flying low and slow. Since LAX has two parallel runways, they often entered the pattern in pairs.

One morning, though, as I was getting into the car to go to work, I heard an unfamiliar sound, that of a dozen turbofan engines revving up to high power. I looked up, and less than two thousand feet over my head, two heavy airliners were turning hard away from each other with the pedal to the metal, to avoid a third plane coming up the pattern, the wrong way!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif The third plane had pushed the nose down to get under the other two, and the two were turning up and to either side. A the closest, they missed each other by no more than 4-5 plane lengths.

What really amazes me is that there was *nothing* about it on the news, despite a lot of media attention on near-collisions around that time. I have a feeling there was a bit of cover-up involved...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

We live near a municipal airport, and we frequently have business jets fly over our house right after take-off. Occasionally, they are ver, very loud. I picked up a sound meter for fun two weeks ago.

I heard a big one a few days ago. I ran out back with my sound meter. The B-24 that flew overhead was fairly low, but still only registered 85 decibels. It was quieter than the worst of the jets. The old war birds frequently use Livermore's airport on their way to shows and things. I don't think any B-24s are housed there.

I love the old planes.

Daniel

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe it is time to rent "North by Northwest" again. Great airplane chase scene.

I've got a cousin who one fell asleep at the wheel of his plane. I no longer fly with him.

I was on a flight to Las Vegas that hit an airpocket and dropped about 50', which freaked out a few passengers, but no word from the flight crew. The plane just dropped -- no nose down, no banking, just dropped flat. "Elevator going down!" Whee!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
The plane just dropped

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to us flying into boulder CO in a storm once. Evidently the wind over the mountains there makes it one of the bumpier airports in the country. It was really miserable. At one point stuff was floating through the air as we were just falling. A bit more disturbing when coming in for a landing than when at 30k feet! this was just a stop over for us, but things were so backed up that our next flight was already canceled. By the time we got to the poor girl at the counter she was as frazzeled as we were from being yelled at by everybody. We just told her that we were happy to stay over and wait till tomorrow and she was so happy that she didn't have to find us a plane to get out between storms that they put us up overnight no problem. We left in the morning after having dinner with old friends that we hadn't planned to be able to visit there. So it was OK, and it was very calm in the morning. We were happy about that...

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: holly molly

I am on the approach for two runways. One has the jets almost right over the house and the other one they run a hook and turn route just west of me. I can see the lights at night when they are making their approach. It is also the night time and bad weather approach since there are not many population spots to hit if the SHTF. On an overcast day, my parakeet freaks out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif about two minutes before I can hear the plane and then the windows rattle. And that is 18 miles from the runway.

What I menat to say is I can see cabin light throu open shades and can almost make out ID numbers on occasion.