How do you rank your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that America is average but for helping other countries out we are still the best.

How can you(the people who wrote this article)truly judge a country without considering the generosity of it's people!?!?!?!?This link contains information that few here are old enough to remember so please read it to the end and then consider America's true place in the world.Please keep in mind that this is from 1973.

http://www.america.ameryka.org/sinclair.html

Best quote from this article....... "I can name to you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble?......Our neighbours have faced it alone and I am one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high."

From 37 years ago but can still apply today.

See, now this is the problem with having my strange sense of humor on the internet. It doesn't translate well.

Join the club.....charter president here.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Food Fight!!!!

foodimage.jpg

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought an M10R and a ITP R01 and an RRT2 which I *really* needed, so I feel much better now, and I like to express my opinion in this intense thread... hopefully, without gaining the promised darwinian prize.

It is my opinion that, in the actual economic landscape, it makes no sense to make a rank list by Country.
The living standards in any given Contry is the result of political, economic and sociologic heritage; what is in discussion here is the fact that everybody now, in any Country, feels deprived and without perspective. This is a direct conseguence of the actual economic landscape, which is characterising equally ALL world Countries.

Once upon a time, if you had a dollar and wanted to raise more, you invested it. It means that you produced a good or a service, and in this process you created wealth for other persons.
This was a good thing. Economy grew fast, and people felt happy.

One day, a person sitting in front of a computer without a flashlight, who thought to be smarter than anybody else, said: "I want to make money from money! Building factories and organisation, being under the will of politicians and bankers is tiresome and mind-consuming. Let's do it..."
So, by using powerful computers and high-grade maths he invented CDOs and swap obligations and God knows what else. At the end, he was able to make money from money. Only lately economy scientists have been able to understand where these money come from... few pennies from my pocket, few pennies from your pocket, few pennies from everybody pocket.... they call it stochastic distribution, IIRC.

Eventually, the system failed. Bailout, bailout. Did the bailout money reached your pocket, or mine? No, they finished right before they could have reached the "right" pockets, but they kept the "system" alive. Foreclosed homes remained foreclosed, maxed out credit cards remained maxed out. But the mortgage and credit infrastructure was bailed out, and kept up and running.

What next? Nobody knows. Lobbysts once lobbyed to build factories and infrastructures, now they are forced to lobby to keep the financial status quo. Economy needs a restart, which requires a lot of international coordination and planned efforts lasting years; in the meantime, everybody looks at finance to make quick money, which in turn keeps pennies bleeding from everybody pocket, and money not circulating in a manner which benefits everybody.

I think to have explained why I believe ALL Countries are ranking last.

Regards

Anthony

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
A man was distributing globes with no boundry lines on it to schools to try and impart a different outlook of the world to kids. This is a small boat were all stuck on, hurtling through space. A good way to look at ourselves.
A word on what someone said about banning things, where do you stop ?
A great quote and I paraphrase, a man that gives up a freedom to be safer, is neither safer nor free.
and one last thing
USA USA USA USA...:nana:

ama230

Enlightened
A man was distributing globes with no boundary lines on it to schools to try and impart a different outlook of the world to kids. This is a small boat were all stuck on, hurtling through space. A good way to look at ourselves.
A word on what someone said about banning things, where do you stop ?
A great quote and I paraphrase, a man that gives up a freedom to be safer, is neither safer nor free.
and one last thing
USA USA USA USA...:nana:

I totally agree with having no lines as it is a very good example that we all share the same purpose and well being.

Then again having no lines as Americans, that would be a bad thing as America was found on no boundaries. Again not talking smack but thats how most of the business men get rich here. They find a small hole and make it huge or even make it theirs. With a country with few ethics and rationality, we would just claim the whole earth as ours and pillage it. We need those boundaries as we have already tried to step over the line too many times without our, us the citizens, consent. Its better for the world as our government or who are running this country would surely ruin what everybody else has fought to keep it their way.

I love the idea but maybe in an economic outlook but as a political structure, I just don't think it work out too well for the rest of the world. Our economy and capitalism would surely crash everyone else's better structure & culture and have them, the rest of the world, forget why we are truly here( its to share, care and just enjoy the simple things)

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Newsweek magazine ranks countries....LOL!!! Are people seriously carrying on discussion about this "topic?" :wave:

Greta

Flashaholic
Newsweek magazine ranks countries....LOL!!! Are people seriously carrying on discussion about this "topic?" :wave:
Actually, yes. And we would like to continue with our discussion without "input" like yours... if you don't mind... :ironic:

valko

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

that rating is funny, for example most "high developed countries" do not actually measure and assume literacy rate 99% :crackup:

Having been around the world I may say that is highly optimistic.

In fact:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-01-08-adult-literacy_N.htm

The same is valid for UK, Australia and so on.

No offense guys, but nobody can really compare to mainland European countries by education, culture, quality of food and life. There are no park or trailer homes here yet :wave:

cheers
Valko

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense guys, but nobody can really compare to mainland European countries by education, culture, quality of food and life. There are no park or trailer homes here yet :wave:
Of course, that doesn't take in to account the ridiculous cost of living, loss of personal freedom, people living below street level (the British/Welsh area equivalent of trailer parks in the US IMO). Not to mention that american higher education is unmatched anywhere...
http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2010.jsp
and the whole "quality of food" thing is absolute BS. The entire time I was in england, I was struggling to find a single decent serving of vegetables in any of my meals. I'm not a vegetable guy, but the european pasty white food was even worse than american junk food. Plus, it was a lot more expensive. I mean come on, your street vendors sold potato sauce inside bread (pasties) and bread covered fish with bread covered potatoes. Even the ethnic food restaurants focused on white rice, corn, noodles, and other grains/grain products. I didn't see a single avocado, broccoli, celery, or beet in the month I was in europe.
Places like spain have great food, but most of europe eats incredibly unhealthfully.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever you do, don't order a pizza in Scotland. Imagine raw dough with tomato sauce smeared on top followed by a sprinkling of salt. I was even asked if I wanted a side of chips (fries).

Reminds me of this bit of humor:

In Heaven:

The French are the cooks
The Italians are the lovers
The Swiss are the watchmakers
The Germans are the mechanics
and the British are the police

In Hell:

The British are the cooks
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians are the watchmakers
and the Germans are the police

Last edited:

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in Canada we don't have any deserts and we like it that way:twothumbs Because you don't mess with people from "The freakin' desert" :mecry:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good side of your country not being rated #1 is that it gives all of us the opportunity to try to improve it.

I don't worry so much about our "exact placement" as much as I worry about the nearly 40 years of decline in the "real" spending power of the average person and the loss of personal freedoms and privacy, regardless of the political parties and agendas.

Status
Not open for further replies.