How good is Wal-Mart Xenons?

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
In Wal-Mart, I noticed they are selling replacement bulbs that are kryton and xenon. I always understood the xenons to be better in general which is why I assume xenon flashlights cost more. But these replacement bulbs cost $1.56 for either the krypton OR xenon for a package of 2. They are made by Ray-O-Vac. Are these xenons worth getting as an upgrade to a krypton 2D flashlight?

InfidelCastro

Banned
I believe so. Though I've heard they are not as bright as the Dorcy xenon or Maglite Magnumstar xenon versions, so I've never tried one myself.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used them without any problems.

I use the Rayovac KPR113's in many of my PR 6v lights (about 6 of them), and I find the beam and longevity to be quite good.

The quality seems good, and the price is right!

The Magnum Xenon Star bulbs are often more expensive, but they do tend to produce a good bright beam.
You can sometimes find them at Home Depot for $2-$2.50 each.

Bob

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the feedback! Maybe I'll give these xenons a try. I currently have a Ray O Vac Roughneck 2D light with a krypton bulb in it. I'll see how a xenon bulb works in it when I get over to Wal Mart again.

Me Too

Newly Enlightened
Is the halogen bulb brighter than the xenon
icon5.gif

igabo

Enlightened
Depends on the bulb; a lot of bike lights have excellent halogen bulbs, that outclass the xenon's, but all bulbs are different.

I myself have the same XPR102 Rayovac Xenon bulbs, and if you ask me, they're worth it if you're looking for an extremely cheap upgrade, with a difference you can notice. Doesn't hurt considering it's $1.40

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How good are Wal-Mart Xenons?

"R"

InfidelCastro

Banned
Re: How good are Wal-Mart Xenons?

abvidledUK said:

"R"

Are you talking LED bins? That would put it approx. 40-50 lumens.

The Dorcy and Maglite versions aren't that bright. I'd put them around the 20-30 "real" lumens category.

Though I have to admit, the Dorcy xenon in my Rayovac 2D did seem to give my G2 a run for its money. But it also had a larger reflector.

Maybe you're right, I dunno.

Topper

Flashaholic*
For my personal trials xenon is better than krypton if used as a direct replacement (if you got a 3D light put a 3D xenon in it) while the krypton might be "overdriven" a bit if you want to try you will most likely blow a xenon every time, well I know I did every time you might be lucky.
Topper :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm using them in my EverReady 4D lantern and seems to put out more light than the stock one.

Me Too

Newly Enlightened
I was at Radioshack yesterday an seen some 3 Volt AA batterys for the first time.

Could you place a 4 cell bulb an a 2 cell AA flashlight with the two 3 volt batterys, or would it have a short runtime?

My modification skills are not very good. You should see my bucket of burnt LED's and shot bulbs.

Me Too

Newly Enlightened
Ok I take that back. I was just at Radioshack and the AA batterys were 3.7 volts. And they were nearly $13.00 for one battery.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Me Too said:
I was at Radioshack yesterday an seen some 3 Volt AA batterys for the first time.

Could you place a 4 cell bulb an a 2 cell AA flashlight with the two 3 volt batterys, or would it have a short runtime?

My modification skills are not very good. You should see my bucket of burnt LED's and shot bulbs.

I'm Glad. I hope we will see 3V AA flashlights in the not too far off future. I prefer slightly slimmer and longer for pocket carry than shorter and fatter.

And AA's have more volume than CR123A's for more capacity.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Me Too said:
Ok I take that back. I was just at Radioshack and the AA batterys were 3.7 volts. And they were nearly $13.00 for one battery.

That sounds like a Li-ion cell. Or at least the voltage is right for a Li-ion. Do you know what chemistry it was?(alkaline, nimh...)