How to torture an Arc AAA. Instructions included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darell

Flashaholic
During the holiday, I finally had a chance to USE my new Arc AAA lights for real (vs. just playing with them every night like I've been doing). I chose one from my collection at random (a standard white) and gave it the full torture test. We were gone for three days, several hundred miles and five family visits. My torture testers included myself, my 15-month-old daughter, my dog Zeke and six nieces and nephews. Interested now?

I started off by simply putting my sacrificial Arc on a CMG lanyard around my neck like everybody else seems to do. Do you guys NOT have chest hair? Dang, this hurts sometimes! After all the hair was removed in the described arc (pun almost intended) all was fine. I couldn't believe how much I started using the light. Finding stuff in the Rocket Box on top of the car, finding the right PJ's in the diaper bag, you name it. So when my daughter saw me using it so much, she had to have it - so I gave it to her. She shoved it up her nose, buried it in the house plants, dragged it along the floor and concrete outside, dropped it in the dog's water bowl, and just carried it with her everywhere she toddled. She owned that thing for about four hours that first day. She couldn't turn it on or off, but each time she came near enough, I'd switch it for her. Next we went outside to shoot some hoops on the new backboard that my nephews received for Christmas. Since it was totally dark by then, I thought it would be fun to dangle the Arc (on) from the bottom of the net. Each time the ball went through, it would wack the Arc and send the thing flying around in cool circles. Sometimes it would smack the metal rim, other times it would hit the backboard, but usually it would just wiggle violently and create quite the light show. So, done with basket ball, we moved on to walking the dog. I clipped the light onto Zeke's collar and let him have his way with it. He chased raccoons (my dog is not slouch - he tore up a foot pad, and cracked a nail down to the quick - but the ARC was OK), chased the new RC cars in the street, dunked it again in his water dish as he drank, scratched at it with his back feet like there was no tomorrow. Then my daughter saw that Zeke had the thing, and spent the next few minutes hunting him down and being dragged around by the light once she got her hands on it.

Then it was time for bed. My wife read with the thing each night for I don't know how long. I'm still on that same battery. When she was done reading, I put it back around my neck, and was very thankful each time I had to struggle to the john in a strange house in the middle of the night. But no, I did not perform the official Craig test (purposefully or accidentally). The next two days were pretty much more of the same thing. Except that by now my daughter had learned how to be Rudolf by shoving it up her nose while it was ON, so that was a bit more exciting. She also managed to get the entire thing into her mouth while it was on too. It was all I could do to keep from hanging her on a tree - she lit up like a bright red globe light. Seriously, she could light up most of her face with the thing in her mouth. Yes, we did clean the Arc every now and again.

All the kids in the family had to go get their "cool" mini mags to show me what bright really was. Since they typically had half-dead batteries in all their lights, they were quite disappointed in every contest we had (except the "I can see my faint yellow glimmer of light on the garage across the street" test). I only managed to convince one little sucker to compete with me in the "let's drop our lights from chest level onto the hardwood floor." Since I have so many minimags around collecting dust, I was guilted into replacing both of his broken bulbs (yup, even the spare in the tail cap broke). I found the Arc so handy to hang from the lid of my Rocket Box that I'm currently building an LED system (with a mercury switch) to put in there permanently. When we finally returned home at midnight, three days after we'd left, the Arc did one more tour of duty to find all the toys that had worked their way under the seats. Even found a sippy cut that we'd been missing for a month. I just now turned the tortured light on to compare it to an almost unused one with a new battery. There is little discernable difference in brightness. And looking at the cases (after a thorough exterior cleaning with a toothbrush) you can't tell which light was the tortured one (save for one major dent in the lip of the reflector)

So, maybe it would have been easier if I just said "Hey, I like these Arc AAA lights." But how fun would that have been?

Thanks again for a great product Peter.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
smile.gif
Great story. And I like how you told it, very engrossing (I could visualize Zeke running around with this spot of light being tossed around).

Thank you!

Peter Gransee

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
darell-I hope that poor little defenseless flashlight that you so severely mistreated wasn't the $35. Arc LE
blush.gif
mad.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
(I could visualize Zeke running around with this spot of light being tossed around).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he looked like a hovercraft. When he got up to speed, the light would almost hold still, and just put a perfect tight circle of light on the ground right between his front feet.

Man, what did I do with my free time before LEDs?

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
darell-I hope that poor little defenseless flashlight that you so severely mistreated wasn't the $35. Arc LE
blush.gif
mad.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I SHOULD have used an LE for the torture, but I wanted to make sure that the working man's light could take the abuse too.
grin.gif
I'm of couse babying my LE's (obviously needlessly).

KenBar

Enlightened
Good story Darell..

I plan on taking mine flying this summer. It was my daughters idea actually....

Tie it to one of those mylar birthday baloons...2 if needed, and tie to a fishing line and let it go. See if we can stir up any local UFO folks
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
darell, a lovely story.
Very the "New Yorker" (magazine title ? ) in style !!

But what is QUOTE "the Rocket Box on top of the car" ?

If that's an EV accessory, pictures please.

lightlover
wink.gif
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:

But what is QUOTE "the Rocket Box on top of the car" ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Lover -

Here is a shot of my box on my last car Rocket Box on Volvo. No, it isn't a JATO unit for the EV - it is a Yakima product, that I just love. It now sits on my 2001 Civic. I'm afraid the EV1 doesn't have enough roof to use the box. Plus the drag and weight would kill me. Our Civic is now the big family car, so this turns it into an SUV. We have room for two adults, a baby, a 50-lb dog and all our gear for a weeek, plus Xmas gifts for 16.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:

I plan on taking mine flying this summer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great idea. May be even more fun to get a disposable red keychain light with over 100 hours of operation time, and set it free late at night... Hmmm.

Brock

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>a 50-lb dog<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind? I don't remember pic of him/her. You know it does look like a JATO unit
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, here's Zeke's site. Hasn't been updated in quite a while, but at least you can get an idea. Nobody believes that he weighs as much as he does, but he's pure muscle and skin.Zeke

This is one dog who does not need a JATO.

Doug

Enlightened
Darell, what is a JATO?

Also, why did you go from a Volvo to a Civic?

Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Darell, what is a JATO?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jet Assisted TakeOff unit, if I remember right.

It has been rumoured that some dim bulb strapped one of these to his 1967 Coronet (or similarly old and decrepid mould-mobile) and lit it off in the Arizona desert. It is said the car gained speed and lifted off the ground at around 300MPH, flew for 1.2 miles, and slammed into the face of a butte. *Splat!*

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I heard, the JATO story in the AZ desert is true. The guy won a Darwin award posthumously.

If you've seen the Blue Angels, you've probably seen JATO. For me, the JATO part of the show was the single most interesting demonstration.

Raw rocket power lifting a cargo plane almost straight up off the runway after a very short takeoff roll.

Peter

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Darell, what is a JATO?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was beaten by the others. Yes, JATO is a real thing, but I'm afraid the story of the hunk of American iron slaming into the mountain is stuff of urban legend. Among several reasons why it wouldn't have worked the way it did in the classic story is that the thing would NOT have remained strapped to the car. The Darwin Awards is where I first heard of it also.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Also, why did you go from a Volvo to a Civic?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I couldn't handle the power
smile.gif
Seriously though, it is a L O N G story. I actually went from an Accord to the V70 to an Odyssey to the Civic. Buying cars has been a full-time job for me over the past year. Really, the Volvo became the EV1, since we had the Civic through all the others. The V70 was returned under the Lemon Law. Loved the power and the cargo hauling capacity, but hated the transmission, and several other things that didn't work right. I'm thrilled with what I have now.

Darell

Flashaholic
So, I'm on the road again - which of course means more Arc play-time. I HAVE to get a picture of Zeke fooling around with the light clipped to his collar. Those of you with dogs should do it ASAP. It's just too much fun. I swear, he looks like an alien hovercraft.

This time I have "dead" AAA batteries in every light. I took them from my Home Theater remote yesterday when I realized there wasn't enough power to even show the LCD display anymore. All lights with these dead batteries still seem as bright as new.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bluegreen for catching that. The last time I had checked on the story was awhile back when the Darwin Award site was still saying it was true.

It is a bit of local legend I guess.

Peter Gransee

Darell

Flashaholic
Now that we've got that JATO business all straightened out - I have the Arc update: Just getting ready for bed now, but on Zeke's final patrol of our friend's back yard, he about knocked himself out with the Arc. He jumped off a 4' retaining wall to the lawn, and when he hit the grass, the light swung up and bonked him on the noggin something fierce. He staggered for the next few steps, then stood still and looked dazed. He shook himself from nose to tail, then regained his composure and went about his business. I'm thinking I should come up with a better way to attach the light to Zeke's collar so I don't end up killing him with it.

Come on now... who has more fun with Arc AAAs than I?

Two new people saw the light tonight (on Zeke) and they both asked me about the "laser" on the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.