How's Fenix?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had to install some computer hardware today and reach deep into the rack, barely able to do so. I really needed a light to be able to do this, without it, I surely couldn't have pulled it off. The light that came to my rescue was L2D-CE. It is no longer the greatest and the latest (I got it on fenix-store a few days before the Rebel came out) but so what, I am pleased.

lumen64

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys..thanks for all the advice!
I am probably going to go with the L2D CE.
I am not positive yet, but will probably get one next week.
I will let you guys know what I get.
Tanks again, and keep the advice coming.

redsun

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!

I agree with 7histology. I am in Canada, and David at the Fenix store was very helpful, and I could not be more pleased with my L2D-CE which sees daily use on my bike.

It's getting darker here in the mornings, and the other day on my way to work, a Corolla driver flashed this High beams at me - probably not saying "HI!"

Bort

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys..thanks for all the advice!
I am probably going to go with the L2D CE.
I am not positive yet, but will probably get one next week.
I will let you guys know what I get.
Tanks again, and keep the advice coming.

I think you can't go wrong with the L2D CE. I use mine daily at work, it is well built, and very versatile with all of the different light levels. I also agree with the earlier posts regarding purchasing the L1D battery tube along with it. Combined with some good quality rechargeable cells like these, you would have an excellent combination.
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/49...AvXaHBhXQ**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco (in store) has a good deal on a Sanyo Eneloop "kit" if you're interested. You can get 8AA's, 4AAA's, a 6-7 hour charger and some C and D cell adapters (for the AA's) for $25.99 (assuming you're in the US). :thumbsup:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was so impressed with my P1D-CE, that I ordered another, albeit the Q5 edition. I also want a tactical tailcap switched Fenix, so I am waiting for my girlfriend to buy me a L1T V2.0 for my birthday. Fenix offer something for everyone, as long as you don't need an incandescent/HID.

I want my girlfriend to be safe, so I bought her a Fenix L0D-CE for her keyring. She is incredibly happy with it, and her friends are quite jealous. I knew she was 'the one' when I started dating her and found she not only had more torches than me, but her most powerful was better than anything else I owned! I had to build a Mag 2D ROP to stay on top.

Last edited:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Again, the P3D is great, but it is very limiting. Go with the three-light trio of L2D, L1D and P2D and you'll be happy you did.

L2D - ultimate work light and Mini-Mag replacement
P2D - EDC... (unless you buy a Novatac 120P)

chibato

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased my first Fenix light today. I have used many tactical lights as a law enforcement officer over the years (surefire, maglite, streamlight, etc), and I have to count on nice bright lights with good throw. I am in love with my P2d-premium 100, I just took it out and compared it to all my old lights, and it is as good/better than any of them, and the runtime will be much better. I went with the P2D instead of the P3D just for the size, although the P3D is quite small the P2D fits in my pockets with all the other junk I have there. I met David and Trevor from the Fenix-Store and they are, as everyone has said here, really good guys. So far, very impressed, before I actually saw the light I was a little concerned about durability of the light, but it seems to be a lot more solid than I expected. I will let you know how things work out.

Seth

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased my first Fenix light today.

Welcome to CPF, chibato :welcome:

Glad you like your P2D, it´s one of the "everyone must have one" - lights at the moment. Inexpensive batteries, lot´s of light out of the front, better-than-average build quality, nice regulation.

Think about a L0D ( Cree or rebel, Cree for a bit more throw, rebel for a bit more flood ) as a backup.

Seth

Last edited:
My furnace had issues and I had to fix it at night the other day. The biggest problem with my flashlight was that I can't use both hands and have the parts I'm working on illuminated at the same time.

Get a headlamp. It looks stupid, but being able to use both hands and having light can't be beat.

Enlightened
I'm in love with my P3D. I'm giving serious thought to either buying another one or, if I can talk the wife into it, buying 2 L2Ds. I have an Apex for my main caving light, but I would like to mount a Fenix to either side of my Helmet as well. I would use the Apex's 4x 5mm LEDs for close up flood light and have the two Fenix lights for mid to longer range type stuff. I really don't like the blue coloration of the Nichia LEDs on the Apex anymore though, especially not since I got my P3D. Even the Luxeon III on the Apex is rather blue compared to the Rebel and I had considered it to be pretty white before. I'm going to give some serious thought to modding that Apex out with a P4 and replacing the optic with a reflector and some sort of diffuser to make it floodier (is that even a word? Should it be more floody?).

I have a few of their lights, and I've always been impressed with their build quality. They have been extremely reliable for me, I've never had one leave me in the dark, unless I accidentally drain the batteries.

They're a great value for the money, in terms of quality, brightness, and battery life. It's nice to be able to use rechargeable AAs, they're so much cheaper than lithium primaries. I could run my L2D all the time and not worry about "wasting batteries".

paulr

Flashaholic
Fenixes I've owned:

L1P: the original model that got it all started. This light was great, it fulfilled the functions of my older and clunkier 123-powered luxeon lights while running on a single NiMH AA cell, near-zero-cost operation in a trim form factor with no silly "tactical' pretentions. it was my main light for an overseas trip last summer to a place with unreliable electricity and no streetlamps. I just made sure to keep a few cells charged up for it. But i felt it became obsolete with the introduction of the Cree XR-E led. A friend of mine admired it and hinted that she'd like one to use at work, so I gave it to her.

L0D CE: got this while I still had the L1p, and comparison found they were equally bright even though the L0D CE was using half the power. That made it easier to give away the L1P since the L0D's smaller size makes it much easier to drop in a pocket. I found its computerized interface to be a minor nuisance but despite this it was still a frequent EDC until just now (see below).

P1CE: single level 123 light, very bright with lots of throw because of its larger reflector. The best-made Fenix that I've had so far. Basically a copy of the famous LL123 in my opinion. I don't use it much since for EDC purposes I prefer rechargeables, but I'd bring it on my next trip as a backup to a lower powered light.

L1D CE: the computerized gizmological successor to the L1p. I didn't like it at all, the overcomplex UI, the cheap construction, the cheesy switch. I sold it to another CPF'er who is delighted with it. If he's happy, I'm happy. It's very popular here so I guess it can't be bad objectively. I've simply developed relatively snooty tastes after being on CPF for so long, and the L1D CE just felt like a cheap gimmick to me. Of course that's very personal and subjective and if you find you like that type of light, then more power to you.

L0P (Seoul mod): bought this from Datiled this week and it's great. It's like the L0D CE with a better beam and with the computer crap removed. Just a simple one level twisty the way God intended ;). Output is about the same as the L0D CE on high, but the hotspot and spill are both larger, and the transition between hotspot and spill is smoother. (However, the spill is dimmer). It's early yet but so far this is my new favorite, replacing the L0D CE as my EDC at least for a while.

All in all, Fenixes are good value-for-money lights that tend to be a little bit computer obsessed in some models, and with an annoying merchandising strategy of putting the best leds (currently RB100) only in the computerized lights. They are popular and hold their value, so if you buy one and don't like it, you can put it on BST and get back most of what you paid. I wish they'd make a 1AA version of the P1CE.

Last edited:

lumen64

Newly Enlightened
Well, this morning I ordered a L2P and a L2T v2.0 from The Fenix store. I can't wait to get them. How long does it usually take to get stuff from them? I used standard shipping.

Enlightened
For me it has been around 3 days Georgia to Chicago suburb.( it just seems like a lifetime...lol... I want my LIGHT!)

Well for me from Atlanta to Nashville took something like 6 days. They sent it on a Friday and I received it in the mail the following Thursday. And that SHOULD be a short trip so I don't know what took so long.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in the Raleigh, NC area, and my orders from David at Fenix-Store.com usually arrive in 2 to 3 days.

Well, this morning I ordered a L2P and a L2T v2.0 from The Fenix store. I can't wait to get them. How long does it usually take to get stuff from them? I used standard shipping.

Last edited: