How's The Weather There ?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Smoke from the non-stop wildfires was so bad today that I had to wear a mask just to go outside safely at one point. Never seen it so bad in So Cal and I've seen a lot of wildfires living here all my life. Yesterday wasn't nearly as bad and I spent 2 hours with my Shop-vac cleaning up the property and washing my truck. Ashes looked like snow flurries and I'm 20 miles away from the Bobcat fire.
20 miles isn't all that far if a fire is coming your way. Keep your car full of gas, and update your bug out bag. Take all those safety precautions that we always plan to do, but don't get around to, like make copies of important paperwork.

I don't need to go on and on... you know the drill.

Good luck.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
20 miles isn't all that far if a fire is coming your way. Keep your car full of gas, and update your bug out bag. Take all those safety precautions that we always plan to do, but don't get around to, like make copies of important paperwork.

I don't need to go on and on... you know the drill.

Good luck.

Thanks for the concern. We're far enough from the fire that I can't imagine we're in danger, although in 2002 a wildfire came pretty close (my neighborhood is at the bottom of the photo).

gDtb3W5l.jpg

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
October 21, northern temperate regions; the solar angle at noon is 25% of its annual range. One month ago, on September 21, solar angle was 50%, and one month before that, on August 21, solar angle was 75%.

Two months from now, on December 21, solar angle will be at 0% of its range. All this is for northern temperate regions, the reverse is true for Southern temperate regions. At and near the poles, and at/near the equator, the picture is very different.

Today, the rate of change of solar angle is a lot less than it was one month ago. At the equinox, the rate of change of solar angle is maximum, and at the solstice, the rate of change of solar angle is minimum.

Today, here, nice weather.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

We get all types of weather here, from 110F heat index to -50F wind chills and everything imaginable in between.

..but last night there was some kind of weather phenomena that the weather models didn't get right.
Between the cold front & near record warm front interacting w/ the jet stream directly overhead, we had the most fierce winds.. just nuts & kinda concerning at times :eek:oo:

It was like a derecho that stayed over me for a long time (some remnants of that huge typhoon in the Philippines in the upper atmosphere?)

huge energy release!!

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crazy heat records here in Northern New Hampshire. It was in the 60's before 9:00am. We should be waxing up our skis for the 1st run of the year about now!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Whitelight1

Newly Enlightened
Perfect in Tampa FL. Got a tropical storm about to make landfall. The outer bands are slowly picking up :clap:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Very windy here today. We had some 70mph gusts earlier and now it's been a steady 30mph. The power blinked off and on again earlier; fortunately my UPS carried my computer through it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Same here Jabe. Very lucky I didn't have to go into work today. It's too cold and slippery! Great weather for skiers and plow drivers but nobody else. I have a lot of respect for plow drivers and first responders in these conditions.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today in my town is one of those January days with a bright blue, cloud free Oklahoma sized sky with a minor wind chill from a 3mph breeze that began at the north pole it seems.

Great day to sit by a window and soak up rays or go outside with layers and peel them off one by one depending on how much the activity level requires. If standing by the fence chatting with a neighbor it feels pretty nippy. If mulching leaves or chopping wood the slight breeze is refreshing.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have had an unseasonably warm winter with most temps above the freezing mark, the occasional dip below. For Canadians that translates to a light sweater and if the wind comes up a small jacket or hoodie.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Nice and cool. January is right in the rainiest time of the year here, so temperatures rarely get above 32° despite it being summer. The sky has a thin blanket of low clouds right now, but I don't think it'll last - these days it can go from sunny to overcast within minutes.

Exactly my kind of weather.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been very windy yesterday and today. Before yesterday, we had highs near the 90s, and now we have cold and windy days with some rain. These Santa Ana Winds are strange. Winds known to be hot, dry, and localized are now cold, with rain, and affecting most of California. I heard Tahoe got 130 mph winds yesterday. Thought our power would be out by now since SDG&E shuts it off every time it gets above 35 mph, but I guess with the rain they can't claim it'll start wildfires, and they'd have to shut off the whole county.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been very windy yesterday and today. Before yesterday, we had highs near the 90s, and now we have cold and windy days with some rain. These Santa Ana Winds are strange. Winds known to be hot, dry, and localized are now cold, with rain, and affecting most of California. I heard Tahoe got 130 mph winds yesterday. Thought our power would be out by now since SDG&E shuts it off every time it gets above 35 mph, but I guess with the rain they can't claim it'll start wildfires, and they'd have to shut off the whole county.

They claim it'll start wildfires because it so frequently does. I was driving in Rancho Cucamonga yesterday near the Cajon Pass and can't imagine how the electric utilities can keep the trees off the power lines in that wind without clearing a 50 yard buffer. And you know the cities will never allow that.

harro

Enlightened
How are all you Northern US, Canadian, Alaskan, Euro members going? Has this Winter just finished not been one of the coldest on record? I know our Summer was pretty much MIA this year, a couple of high 30's ( Celsius ) and i think we may have had one 40+C day. Now in March where we traditionally have pretty constant Low to mid 30C days and still evenings, this coming week is forecast to be pretty much mid 20's right through. One wonders what is in store for our Southern Winter. Where i am in Victoria, Aus, we can see -2 or -3C nights on a regular basis through Winter, but snow is pretty much unheard of here, more common an hour East where the Great Dividing Range foothills begin. Interesting to hear your views.
Cheers, Mike.

markr6

Flashaholic
They claim it'll start wildfires because it so frequently does. I was driving in Rancho Cucamonga yesterday near the Cajon Pass and can't imagine how the electric utilities can keep the trees off the power lines in that wind without clearing a 50 yard buffer. And you know the cities will never allow that.

I was driving back from northern Michigan Saturday and came up to a traffic jam on US31. Saw a bunch of highway patrol SUVs, firemen hosing down an area and USFS trucks in the median. Mini forest fire! They had it put out when I drove past. Great weather, sunny and 45-50° for my backpacking trip.

I assume a cigarette out the window, or someone pulled off and their hot engine started the fire.