Hurricane Matthew

sgt253

Enlightened
Thank you both[kssmith/sgt253] LEO for your service.

Your friend probably lives within a mile or Two of My Dad! He lives on the 15th Floor of Islandia II Condo's.

I mentioned this before on another thread. It was brought up w/ a friend of mine from Calif. w/ all their natural disaster difficulties.

The area I live in[Suburbs of Philly] and certainly other parts of the Northeast are spared from just about every natural disaster.Flooding once in awhile but never affects my location[2 miles from the Schuylkill River], droughts are rare, earthquakes have been so low on the Richter scale they were not harmful,tornadoes, forest fires, ect. just about non existent.

I am grateful for that as I have lived in this area for 54 years. CAPO and I love the snow and BLIZZARDS which may come around every 2 or 3 years!

They are not on the same scale as a hurricane when it comes to damages and loss of life

On the other hand I hope that this catastrophic type hurricane is taken seriously by friends, family and the rest of the US Citizens that are going to be affected by it.I hope they ALL listened to the Governor of FLA.!:)

Thanks for kind words. Small world, my friend is at Atlantis III. About two blocks South of your Father. Been to Philly. Buddy of mine was Philly PD for 8 years before moving on. Be safe. Regards.

Capolini

Banned
Just made a call to my former employer at Sailfish Point Golf Club at the tip of Hutchinson Island. A beautiful Jack Nicklaus designed course and club.

I talked to One of the sales associates and she told me that the EVACUATION was only for the barrier Islands and those living near the ocean. She lived in Stuart , Fla. ,8 miles inland and is braving the storm! She said the home is hurricane proof[hopefully], I think mostly made of cement.

I looked at the radar and the worst of it starts to hit around 11 pm tonight. I do not think a lot of the Eastern communities are going to sleep well tonight.

God Bless our fellow Americans who will be affected by this Hurricane.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
To all CPF members and beyond in southeast U.S. be safe!

Food, water, and some lighting will help many in what looks to be a disastrous storm.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
God Bless our fellow Americans who will be affected by this Hurricane.

Ditto.

My wife's best friends just moved from Weston (near Fort Lauderdale) to Ocala so they're less at risk. And we just got back last week from visiting friends in Venice, FL after a Bahamas cruise. Guess we dodged a bullet there, but returned home to an earthquake alert.

Capolini

Banned
^^^^

Pretty cool.thanks,,,,,,,,,,,With that other storm to the east it looks like Two eyes swirling around! A scary looking monster which it is!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ref that storm - Cat 2 Hurricane Nicole - to the east: With Hurricane Matthew forecasted to head into the Atlantic, then loop around back to Florida, I wonder about the chances of those two hurricanes merging? That merger was mentioned on Hurricane Central but then dismissed.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Foxnews this morning about 0600, references were made to transformers blowing out in Florida, rather a lot of them. In the Bahamas, the Bahamas Power & Light (?) power company preemptively shut down the electric grid in certain high-danger areas. Same on the Caribbean island that my older daughter was on for a few years when a hurricane crossed that island. I wonder why the electric grid is not also preemptively shut down in the high-danger areas of Florida for the passage of a hurricane? Not only would the power would be restored much faster after the high-danger point has passed, but installing new power transformers is not a low-cost effort.

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
for those of us who have not experienced a direct hurricane hit first-hand, my older daughter has had that opportunity twice: once for a Caribbean Hurricane that crossed her island and once for Hurricane Sandy in NYC. Her comments to me: Most people have experienced bad thunderstorms or sometimes tornadoes. But those events are relatively short. In a hurricane, the hurricane-force winds often blow for a day or more. Furthermore if the living quarters are on the windward side of the building and exposed to the full hurricane-force wind, the rain is driven between the weatherstripping on doors and windows. She spent much of her time soaking up the water from the walls and floor even though the doors and windows were closed as tightly as possible. As for Hurricane Sandy, the low-lying areas of NYC were obvious flood areas - as observed while we drove to JFK.

edit: She dodged Hurricane Matthew by driving out of Charleston yesterday back to TN. That would have been #3 for her....

Last edited:

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Outer bands passing through. My home is west of St Augustine, Florida. Power starting to fluctuate. Jacksonville may have a nasty afternoon with high tide and the storm surge this afternoon.

Lights and batteries good to go along with ice and propane.

Be Safe out there! [emoji41]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was getting goose bumps watching convoys of power workers heading south on I-95 this morning. Some from as far as Delaware were heading south.

Pretty cool to see that.

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
We're without power in St Johns county... went out about 2:00pm EDT... still getting gusts [emoji100] to 50+ mph

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're without power in St Johns county... went out about 2:00pm EDT... still getting gusts [emoji100] to 50+ mph

U2v5: I am curious how you are accessing CPF - via smartphone, or laptop + generator + modem, or laptop + UPS for your modem?

IOW, is the cell phone network is still up, or is the cable/DSL modem network still up?

FWIW: I am not able to recall that the cable modem system serving my families laptops ever went down because of power failures even though my area may have been out for a day or more. I have a UPS on my cable modem + wireless router good for a couple hours per charge.

More importantly, stay safe!

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Never lost cellphone service... using an iPhone7 and Verizon... I have no business affiliation with these vendors, just glad it works!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Here near Raleigh we've had 9+ inches of rain since last night. Still haven't lost power or had any trees fall. Wind is very gusty.

Geoff

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The other day we were watching computer models and it showed Matthew taking a hard right once the eye reached SC.
Some weak cold front will push it out to sea one guy said.
Another asked how is that so... I quipped "Don Quiote whips the windmill every now and then"...
We escaped the carnage where I live. Lots of rain and some gentle gale force winds perhaps as I'm on the west side of its path but...

Holy Smokes! That gentle cold front is not just your average July afternoon number. Instead it's one of those kind that lowers the temps 25° while a sustained 35 mph wind with 50mph gusts is blowing things around pretty good.

Hopefully this thing isn't adding insult to injury to you folks already facing the cleanup after Matthew.
Wow!

Latest posts