Husky 2D or Maglite 2D Rebel

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
definitely the mag, I like its mod potential. I dont really understand what all the hype/hoopla was about regarding the 2D husky. Its far too HUGE and way too heavy. Something THAT big and massive should be brighter than ~150L. (shrugs) its too bad they glued it together, with that much aluminum it could have been a very serviceable MC-E/P7 DIY host.
How long would a MC-E/P7 run on two alkaline D batteries?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long would a MC-E/P7 run on two alkaline D batteries?
At full power, it runs about 10W, D cells have maybe 1.5Wh at these loads, so a fantastically good (efficient and capable of sucking the cells totally dry) boost driver couldn't pull off more than 20 minutes. Of course, you are more likely to get substantially less output, for somewhat longer runtimes, but it'll definitely be a disappointment. You really want NiMH (even 2xAA NiMH would run longer; 2xD NiMH would get you about 2 hours), and if you insist on primaries, Saft LSH-20s are almost cheaper per Wh!

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
I didn't vote in the poll because I have never experienced the Mag Rebel first hand. That being said, my Husky is an awesome light for my purposes. You have to get a good one though. I went out today and bought 2 more, using two "$5 off $25" coupons from True Value to bring the prices down to $14 each. (Yeah, I had to buy an additional $12 worth of stuff to make the coupons work, but I needed some stuff anyway, and the coupons are available until June on line. HD takes competitor coupons) Yup, my original one also has a screw or something loose, but it has not affected the performance. I can point to individual stars with mine. Yup, it's cheaply made, but so what...I don't have to depend on it. (My E1B goes with me everwhere. That's why they call it a Backup I guess!) (And who among us carries only 1 light when they are outside anyway? :ironic:) When I'm out in the woods though, guess which one gets the nod. My Husky is my "streetlight on a stick". The great spill plus great throw makes it a "no brainer" for my purposes.

-Hitec-

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both require a 6-cell NiMH or 2-cell Li-ion battery, so either a 6xAA holder and LSD NiMH AAs, or if you know what you're doing, 2x Li-ion D-cells, 26650s, 26700s, or (worst-case) 18650s and a suitable charger. Same cost either way. (Also note that both projects required a ~$5 switch (+ ~$5 shipping), so it's only ~$5 more to buy a 2D incan Mag at Walmart, and mod it while leaving the Rebel alone for now...

Ok so I guess i will end up just buying the old maglite with the incan bulb to do the Pelican (ROP) mod. Thanks for the great response! You def know your stuff! lol:twothumbs

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't vote in the poll because I have never experienced the Mag Rebel first hand. That being said, my Husky is an awesome light for my purposes. You have to get a good one though. I went out today and bought 2 more, using two "$5 off $25" coupons from True Value to bring the prices down to $14 each. (Yeah, I had to buy an additional $12 worth of stuff to make the coupons work, but I needed some stuff anyway, and the coupons are available until June on line. HD takes competitor coupons) Yup, my original one also has a screw or something loose, but it has not affected the performance. I can point to individual stars with mine. Yup, it's cheaply made, but so what...I don't have to depend on it. (My E1B goes with me everwhere. That's why they call it a Backup I guess!) (And who among us carries only 1 light when they are outside anyway? :ironic:) When I'm out in the woods though, guess which one gets the nod. My Husky is my "streetlight on a stick". The great spill plus great throw makes it a "no brainer" for my purposes.

-Hitec-

Well put! :thumbsup:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone send me a link to where i can buy the 3AA holder (Dsize holder) that i would put inside the flashlight to give it more power? IM trying to gather up the materials for the ROP mod. And if you are in a helpful mood.... point me to the direction where i can buy all the materials for a good price? One stop shop per say? The items are : aluminum reflector, glass lens, Big D pelican bulb, and the 3 AA battery holders... i would greatly appreciate this! :thumbsup:

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I prefered the Mag even though i didn't put out as much light overall. It's kept in the car as a bright, reliable light. Plus I got mine on sale at Sears for $20! I have no plans to mod it, so I don't care about it's potential. I build P7 mags and I love them, but for the money, both these lights are hard to beat.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I have both the new MagLED and the Husky 2 D. As much as I like the Husky, I like the new MagLED better. As has already been mentioned, it throws better than the Husky, the beam is much smoother, spill is a little dimmer and it is much higher in build quality. Plus I'd trust a Mag before the Husky when I need a light. I've had several Mags over the years and still have them and apart from the bulbs, not a one has failed me and I've put my Mags through a lot of abuse. The Husky's beam is quite 'ringy' with lots of artifacts but in actual use, especially outdoors, you don't even notice it. I'm not totally enamored by the Husky design though. I don't mind cenulated bezels but I just wish the reflector inside fit the bezel better which would make it larger and thus better IMO. Emitter centering on the Husky can be problematic and you need to examine the light before you buy to get a nice centered one.

But overall, both are solid lights but the edge definitely goes to Mag.

Ok, since getting the Maglite, ive been very curious on these mods that people are coming up with. I own the 2D maglite rebel led. What is the best mod to use to get maximum performance off of this light, without soldering or any of that stuff that a noob might not be able to do or have the materials for? So far i have seen the ROP mod, and robbany's 4 Q5 mod... (seemed complicated). So my question is.... what mod is the best (no budget) and what mod is the most budget friendly (least expensive)?lovecpf
Ok so I guess i will end up just buying the old maglite with the incan bulb to do the Pelican (ROP) mod. Thanks for the great response! You def know your stuff! lol:twothumbs

Check out LuxLuthors brightest Mag mods list.

I'd say getting an standard incan Mag for a ROP would be the best bet. The new MagLED is a bit longer and I'm not quite sure about where the dimensions have changed. I have a ROP mod and it puts out an incredible amount of light. It does throw well but it is just the shear amount of light that is amazing. The beam with a MOP aluminum reflector is awesome with bright spill smoothly transitioning into a large hotspot. This thing lights up my WHOLE backyard! My ROP is running on 6 AA Duraloops and lasts under an hour on Hi and about 2 hours on the Lo bulb.. The Hi is roughly 900 lumens out the front and Lo is ~400+ lumens.

I am finally working on a Mag623 mod also. With Mag4C + 4 AW C-cells. This should put out ~5000 Lumens!

Where is a good place to buy glass lenses for the Maglite 2D? How about somewhere for an aluminum or a metallic reflector? Since im going to start modding... I dont want anything to melt when the lumens start getting high! Am i going to like the ROP if i am trying to achieve more throw?

Can someone send me a link to where i can buy the 3AA holder (Dsize holder) that i would put inside the flashlight to give it more power? IM trying to gather up the materials for the ROP mod. And if you are in a helpful mood.... point me to the direction where i can buy all the materials for a good price? One stop shop per say? The items are : aluminum reflector, glass lens, Big D pelican bulb, and the 3 AA battery holders... i would greatly appreciate this! :thumbsup:

Glass Lens - Lighthound
Pelican Big D 3854 - Lighthound
AW Mag Driver/switch - Lighthound
Reflector - FiveMega or BrightLumens
ModaMag 6xAA-2D adapter - SandwichShoppe
P7 mod emitter + heatsink - BrightLumens
P7 mod d2Flex driver - TaskLED

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the new MagLED and the Husky 2 D. As much as I like the Husky, I like the new MagLED better. As has already been mentioned, it throws better than the Husky, the beam is much smoother, spill is a little dimmer and it is much higher in build quality. Plus I'd trust a Mag before the Husky when I need a light. I've had several Mags over the years and still have them and apart from the bulbs, not a one has failed me and I've put my Mags through a lot of abuse. The Husky's beam is quite 'ringy' with lots of artifacts but in actual use, especially outdoors, you don't even notice it. I'm not totally enamored by the Husky design though. I don't mind cenulated bezels but I just wish the reflector inside fit the bezel better which would make it larger and thus better IMO. Emitter centering on the Husky can be problematic and you need to examine the light before you buy to get a nice centered one.

But overall, both are solid lights but the edge definitely goes to Mag.

Check out LuxLuthors brightest Mag mods list.

I'd say getting an standard incan Mag for a ROP would be the best bet. The new MagLED is a bit longer and I'm not quite sure about where the dimensions have changed. I have a ROP mod and it puts out an incredible amount of light. It does throw well but it is just the shear amount of light that is amazing. The beam with a MOP aluminum reflector is awesome with bright spill smoothly transitioning into a large hotspot. This thing lights up my WHOLE backyard! My ROP is running on 6 AA Duraloops and lasts under an hour on Hi and about 2 hours on the Lo bulb.. The Hi is roughly 900 lumens out the front and Lo is ~400+ lumens.

I am finally working on a Mag623 mod also. With Mag4C + 4 AW C-cells. This should put out ~5000 Lumens!

Glass Lens - Lighthound

Thank you very much. I appreciate the time you took to help me out :twothumbs

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the asheric lens melt when used with the ROP mod? (instead of the glass lens?) anyone tried this before?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Husky 2D Max Voltage

Does anyone know what the max voltage of the Husky 2D is? Will it handle four 1.2V NIMH batteries using these?

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glass Lens - Lighthound

Update:

**The reflector is out of stock from FIVEMEGA, and the smooth reflector is sold out from BRIGHTLUMENS.

**The 6xAA battery 2D adaptor is $25! Is there another place that may sell them for under $10? Even if it is 2-3xAA->2D?

UpChUcK

Enlightened
If you use a glass Aspheric lens like the Melles Griot, it shouldn't be a problem. If the Surplus Shed ever gets new inventory, that would be a cheap way to go. KD says their aspheric is glass so that should be OK to use.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the asheric lens melt when used with the ROP mod? (instead of the glass lens?) anyone tried this before?

Which aspheric lens do you plan to use? I've never seen one that size that wasn't glass. (Oh, and aspherics turn out kinda weird with incans -- most people don't like the effect...)

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Update:

**The reflector is out of stock from FIVEMEGA, and the smooth reflector is sold out from BRIGHTLUMENS.

**The 6xAA battery 2D adaptor is $25! Is there another place that may sell them for under $10? Even if it is 2-3xAA->2D?

KD has the SMO reflectors. I happen to like the MOP as it smooths out the beam nicely.

The Sandwich Shoppe 6xAA->2D adapter is well made. I've seen the 3xAA adapters used in CutleryLovers review on his ROP mod but he wasn't too happy with them and was looking to 'upgrade' the cheap battery holders. The other well made adapter is from FiveMega but is out of stock also and about the same price IIRC.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which aspheric lens do you plan to use? I've never seen one that size that wasn't glass. (Oh, and aspherics turn out kinda weird with incans -- most people don't like the effect...)

Weird as in very ringy and or spotty? or Weird as in abnormal shape output?
I ended up getting the DX 52mm aspheric lens.... dont know if it is glass though... What would the output be on the ROP with this type of lens? Anyone ever try this yet?

UpChUcK

Enlightened

Yeah, I forgot to add that part. Aspheric and incans doesn't really look nice together. Looks better with LED.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use a glass Aspheric lens like the Melles Griot, it shouldn't be a problem. If the Surplus Shed ever gets new inventory, that would be a cheap way to go. KD says their aspheric is glass so that should be OK to use.

Wow the melles griot is def looks like a very well made lens... and for $30 I sure hope it is! lol thats almost 4x the amount that Surplus Shed is asking for! lol Too bad they dont have this item in stock at SS.... $8....:sigh:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
KD has the SMO reflectors. I happen to like the MOP as it smooths out the beam nicely.

The Sandwich Shoppe 6xAA->2D adapter is well made. I've seen the 3xAA adapters used in CutleryLovers review on his ROP mod but he wasn't too happy with them and was looking to 'upgrade' the cheap battery holders. The other well made adapter is from FiveMega but is out of stock also and about the same price IIRC.

MOP stands for *something* Orange Peel correct? Doesn't that take away from the throw (orange peel texture on the reflector)? I am just basing this off of my L1D and D10 who both have the OP Reflector.... (Now I am trying to get a smooth reflector to see if the throw will be improved)

Haha ya i ended up watching the same video from CutleryLovers lol He was kind of embarrassed about that situation. The $25 holder is quite expensive, but wouldn't doubt its build quality... Is there something available that meets me half way? Something not cheapy quality but will do the job? Are there any stores that sell this? Like HD, Target, Walmart, Radio Shack? Ive tried searching but no luck...