I just orded a HDS B42XRGT!

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Hondo, I got mine this week but my switch is not recessed at all. Are there different versions of this light? Also my battery is already low enough that it won't hold the high level for more than about 2 seconds. I hope it is just a battery that is not new and not indicative of the runtime of the light. So is the extended runtime due to lower levels of the first three settings. Not a bad trade really since there are four to choose from I suppose.

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
MeLLoJeLLo said:
received it at work. Can't really spend time inside the bathroom with the light off. Will try secretly tonight. ;)

One thing I should ask: Does anyone of you got lube on the threads? :rant:Mine got none. It's squeeking really high pitch noise if I want to untwist... Even for only 1/4 of a turn. Way toooo much resistance! :thumbsdow

Thank god I got some Nyogel at home, but still... I will have to untwist it all the way and I'm affraid I will damage de O-ring. :awman:

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine also squeels like a stuck pig. I need to lube it up. I prefer the tight tolerances. Some of my Surefires are a little to loosey goosey for my tastes. I hate it when you can wiggle tailcaps.

Should I use a silicon based lube?

I love this light! I thought the light levels chosen were kind of weird until I used it. The two lowest settings are very useful. I really like the beam pattern. My unit is perfect for distances under 20 meters IMHO.

Now if only the CR2 Ions would go on sale...

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
kelmo said:
Should I use a silicon based lube?

I love this light! I thought the light levels chosen were kind of weird until I used it. The two lowest settings are very useful. I really like the beam pattern. My unit is perfect for distances under 20 meters IMHO.

Yeah, if I can recall in other forums threads, silicon based lube is one of the O-Ring friendly lubes.:grin2:

Ok ok... I tried my 42XRGT in my work's bathroom with the light closed (best I can until I get home and it's the night) and I must say I really like the lowest setting. :laughing: I was used to my SureFire L1 lowest setting, and it's even better for my night walks to the bathroom.

I wonder what is the total runtime for the lowest setting... Any runtime graphics yet? :whistle:

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allnew2me said:
Hondo, I got mine this week but my switch is not recessed at all. Are there different versions of this light? .

I believe the newer switches are recessed, my 6 month old unit is not, and barely stands, like the leaning tower of Pisa.

Allnew2me said:
Also my battery is already low enough that it won't hold the high level for more than about 2 seconds. I hope it is just a battery that is not new and not indicative of the runtime of the light. .

My old one was doing that when I started my comparison. Take out the battery for a minute for a "reset", that fixed mine. I think it can get a little confused on what the state of the battery really is.

Allnew2me said:
So is the extended runtime due to lower levels of the first three settings. Not a bad trade really since there are four to choose from I suppose.

No, they advertise 50% more runtime on high, and that is actually brighter. Concensus seems to be we should expect simillar improvements on the other three levels, but unless this one is less efficient on lower levels, it should run even longer due to being "throttled down". Hence why I want to try and get just a relative measurement between my two lights on at least one of the lower levels. Putting the batt. positive to the terminal in the head and running the DMM leads (on current, 10 amp) between the negative and the tube contact ring on the PCB gives me nothing, even if I try to "pulse" the connection. Could be a real pain to try and rig the tail section into the circuit while apart.

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand how the extended runtime (XR) model works. How does it get more juice out of the battery? Is there any downside to it, or do the XR lights run for longer on every setting than the non-XR models?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand, the LED's are select, for their low Vf, so that at a lower power level they will put out the specified lumens. Hence, longer battery life at a fixed brightness. Should apply to all levels, although the specs only mention "50% longer minimum runtime at 60 lumens", for a 60 lumen model. I can't find an XR spec for a 42 model.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allnew2me said:
Hondo, I got mine this week but my switch is not recessed at all....

I received a B42XRGT today from Battery Station and the switch is not recessed. There is a slight wobble when the light tail stands, but it won't tip over by itself.

I lubed the battery compartment threads and O-ring because they squeaked.

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
Hondo said:
As I understand, the LED's are select, for their low Vf, so that at a lower power level they will put out the specified lumens. Hence, longer battery life at a fixed brightness.

Wow, that's definitely worth the upgrade! Originally it was $20, so it would take several batteries for it to be worth it, but at the $5 sale price, it's a no brainer. Thanks for the info, Hondo. :)

kahrman

Newly Enlightened
I can't stand it anymore! :sold:

I finally broke down and ordered one from Battery Station this morning. It will be my first multi-level light. I talked myself out of buying one several months ago and was contemplating a Carribean. I am glad I waited! I wonder if it will fit in a lense down belt holster for my Surefire E2?

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
It will take a bit longer than usual for them to ship from batterystation. I ordered mine on june 6 and they got so many orders it put them two or three days behind.

Cypher

Enlightened
I ordered one too. I can't believe I'm going to own an HDS. This will be my first multi level light. I've wanted a McE2s for my KL1 but depending on how I like my new light it may be a combination that is obsolete or unnecessary at least.

I can't wait.

GregWormald

Enlightened
G'day,
My B42XRGT arrived a couple of days ago--to Adelaide, South Australia. It's my first HDS.
This is by far the neatest light I have seen. Real white, 4 very usable light levels and a convenient size. It is around my neck at the moment on a home-made lanyard and kydex lanyard ring. I don't usually like clips and I didn't want to scratch it all up with a metal ring.
The 42 lumens level is really bright and and with the white tint it gives a clear view (IMO) out to about 100 metres!
Thank goodness for the 10 free batteries, I have a feeling I'll be using up a few just playing.
Greg

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Received my HDS B42XRGT today, and I ordered it on 07 June from BatteryStation.com (LightHound was all out). I also have 60XRGT that was bought earlier this year (just retired it to curio case).

Question to Hondo. You stated that, "...I have a B42GT from late last year, and on high, the new one is noticeably brighter,..." The question is, what is the number of your new XRGT? Mine is in the low-mid 2600's - trying to gauge whether old stock or new stock.

SCblur

Enlightened
Are the B42 models from batterystation the ones with the recessed tailcap? I notice they have a sale going right now, but I want to be sure I get one that has the recessed tailcap.

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
Dark Vapor said:
Received my HDS B42XRGT today, and I ordered it on 07 June from BatteryStation.com (LightHound was all out). I also have 60XRGT that was bought earlier this year (just retired it to curio case).

Question to Hondo. You stated that, "...I have a B42GT from late last year, and on high, the new one is noticeably brighter,..." The question is, what is the number of your new XRGT? Mine is in the low-mid 2600's - trying to gauge whether old stock or new stock.

Thats odd cuz lighthound still has some listed on ebay... :huh2:

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
dcowboyscr said:
I also bought my 42xrgt from batterystation #2551 and it doesn't have a recessed button either.

Just for info I got #2616 and it got a recessed button. From the Lighthound website, bought it about a week ago.

Last edited: