I need help with a rugged hike

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that a bit more info would be handy.

I'd like to jump on the CMF Infinity Ultra bandwagon. 1AA, bombproof, enough light for a lot of tasks, killer runtime (listed as 25hrs, CPF tests show about 17 w/lithium batteries). 2.5oz w/batteries (less with lithiums - 2.15oz est.).

cmg_ultra_ruler.jpg

The other light I would recommend is the UK 2L. It takes 2 123A cells, fairly bright, light, small, bombproof, waterproof. 2.7oz w/batteries. Runtime listed as 3-4 hrs.

2l.jpg

While it would be nice to keep the same types of batteries I think that these two lights are so good at what they do they I think you will end up going backwards trying to compensate. For example, assuming you use lithium batteries for the Ultra (recommended for wt savings), you'll get something like 17 hrs burn time. One or two spares is all you'll need. The UK 2L gets a couple of hours on two cells. One or two battery changes for these lights is almost nothing.

So, for those two lights with batteries: 4.85oz.
One set of spares: 1.68oz (6.53 total)
Two sets of spares: 3.36oz (8.16 total)

To compare, the PT 40 is 5.1 oz, or 3.7 oz with lithiums
Add the Ultra (with lithiums) and you are at 5.85 oz.
Add one set of spares - 2.5 oz or 8.35 oz total.
Add two sets of spares - now you are up to 10.85 oz total.

In both cases runtime is similar, and the PT (and spares) are more bulky.

The other thing to consider is a headlamp. I would say a headlamp is highly desirable if you are climbing or moving at night.

My pet (sight unseen) light is the PT Yukon. 3LEDs, and one Xenon bulb in a small, compact housing. Uses 3AA cells which should give really good runtime with the LEDs, and pretty good brightness with the Xenon. The AA cells are much better than the AAA due to runtime, and the availability of lithium batteries IMO. This headlamp isn't quite available it seems, but should be showing up any time now.

YUK-BK.jpg

The Petzl Duo has a dual light capability and is available now, but I don't really care for it for a number of reasons.

product_78944.jpg

There are a couple 3LED/3AAA lights out there which are pretty good for many tasks and also small and lightweight. The only downside IMO is that they 1) use AAAs (no lithiums, so heavier in a runtime/weight ratio) and 2) sometimes you want more than 3LEDs.

The Princeton Tech Aurora is a common example of this type. The Aurora is a pretty good one since it is 1) fairly waterproof (unlike some others) and 2) has various brightness modes to save on batteries (only mildly helpful IMO) and can be tilted up and down (it helps when you are in weird positions, trust me!). The only real downside to this light is that it isn't quite as comfortable to wear as, say, the Petzl Tikka (although not bad).

aurora.jpg

The other common one is the Petzl Tikka. In a lot of ways, I like the Tikka better than the Aurora, but in the end there is no denying it isn't as good of a light (IMO). It's biggest problem is that it has no waterproofing. This is the kiss of death IMO. Shame on them. On the upside, it has a simple on-off switch, which I actually prefer. No goofing around with modes. The other good thing is that it is more comfortable. It doesn't have the up-down adjustment which at first didn't seem like it was needed, but later turned out to be a useful feature.

3378581.jpg

-john

AA lithium .5 oz
AA alkaline .85 oz
123A lithium .59 oz
AAA Duracell Ultra .4 oz

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tree,

While the Otterboxes are very sturdy, I'm not sure I'd call them light. I keep seeing them and think about getting them, but every time I check the heft and leave it on the shelf. I just can't see myself lugging them around.

-john

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've got a small enough light, someone suggested something like an Altoids mint can to carry it and/or batteries in (like the CMG Ultra and some small first-aid items)...

It may not fit something like a Pelican M6 or an E2e, but then again, you'd probably be wearin' those lights on your belt inside a pouch or sheath...

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off topic, but...

I happened upon these little heavy duty ziplocks at REI (local sporting store) and they work perfect for my EDC spare batteries. It looks like they are intended for credit cards and such.

I currently have (3) 123A cells, (2) Li AA cells and (1) AAA cell with a little room left over. So far it hasn't broken down in response to the abuse it gets in my pocket like pretty much everything else I've tried. They didn't have any problem with the (light) hiking I did last week either.

-john

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=1224&parent_category_rn=4501504

492758.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the UKE 2L. With the older clear bezel they weigh around 2.2 ounces, the newer bezel (less backscatter) may weigh a little more but 2.7 probably includes the clip. They're very rugged and totally waterproof (they are dive lights). They have far more throw than any small LED light.

The CMG Ultra is nice for finding things in your tent or walking along a trail but it's still just a single LED. Also, it's sort of heavy for what it does. An Arc AAA has basically the same output, less runtime (but still over 4 hours), and is less than half the weight (under an ounce with battery, vs. maybe 2.1 oz for the CMG).

I always hear headlights are preferable for climbing, but I've never used one. Photon Aurora?

Edit: I wouldn't take the Inova 5T if I was trying to minimize weight. It's a stylish light but heavy for its output. People keep suggesting 10+ hour lights when you said you only needed 4 hours. If you don't want to change batteries in the field, maybe try a Surefire E2e with a KL1 head, which should get 4+ hours easily and weigh under 4 ounces. Do take some kind of backup, like an Arc AAA or even a yellow Photon II.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The headlamp is a very good idea if you are really going to be traveling around in the dark (although...most people don't...correct? I mean in late spring/summer/early fall hiking or camping the day is short enough that you are mosly sleeping in the dark...yes?). My daughter has the Aurora and it is a great headlight IMHO.

Aside from the headlamp...

A great combination is the PT Rage/Attitude!

-Each shares the same body
-Rage has REALLY BRIGHT incandescent light head (1 hr runtime)
-Attitude has quite usefully bright 3 LED head (30 hr runtime)
-Each uses 4 AAAs (NiMH works fine too!)
-Two small, light weight lights better than one combo light IMHO (like the TwinTask)
-Plastic body comfortable for clenching in the teeth if necessary
-Both seriously waterproof
-Body is light, rugged, simple and almost indestructable
-If you want more spares, pack AAAs in a film canister
-Cost is LOW; Rage $9...Attitude $16...@ TTS

The Attitude is "bright enough" that in a week of camping, I never turned on either of the incandescent "really bright" lights that I brought for "in case" (Rage and UK 4AA AS2) during the entire week. I "car camp" so weight is not a problem for me. I brought a Rage, UK 4AA AS2, ARC AAA, Attitude, Infinity Ultra and an Energizer 2-LED folding camp lantern (great for in the tent).

If I really, really wanted to minimize weight and have back up options...no doubt, I'd take 1 Rage and 1 Attitude plus a Photon II on a pack or jacket zipper (so light you will not even know it is there...but GREAT for backup). For a little more weight...I'd throw in the Aurora.

BTW...you can put a velcro dot on the Photon II and really expand your options by having a billed cap with a mating velco dot or a dot on your pack or your tent...you get the idea. You'll be able to position this backup light just about anywhere you wish you had light.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PT Impact, which is quite rugged and waterproof. It is a single focused LED (through a lens), and is very reasonably bright. Very long runtime on 4AA alkalines, so 1 set (load) should do fine.

Given the bump and grind conditions you describe, you need lights that are designed for caving or expeditions.

If you are going to be crossing stream at night, a headlamp would be a much better choice. A PT Solo or similar, using the textured reflector and a KPR-104 (for 2AA), would be an excellent choice, as it is waterproof. It would fit the size and weight considerations. If you are not going into cold conditions, then you can use a Versalux PR-2 LED bulb (alkaline batteries only). Note: this also applies to the PT Tec 20!

Another choice, is the Petzl Myo series, which come in either 3 or 5 LED, and either belt pack or non-belt pack. They are designed for hiking, backpacking, climbing, etc. They have a halogen route finding lamp, and the LEDs.

I also concur with the CMG Infinity Ultra, as an excellent choice.

The X5T will do fine. 25 hours is long runtime for CR123s, and it might fit in a headband, like the Nite Ize. I have one of those, and the Arc LS w/123 pack fits nicely in that. I wouldn't do that with the newer Arc LSes, as they do get a bit Warm, and sometimes hot.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I forgot another option. You could pair a SF L1 with the UK 2L. Then you get the same batteries and three different brightness levels.

L1 2.9 oz
UK 2L 2.7oz
-----------
5.6oz

spares 1.77oz

with one set of spares: 7.37
with two sets of spares: 9.14

So it's slightly more than with the Ultra, but slightly less than the PT 40 combo.

-john

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weight calculations:

2.5 oz One PT Attitude w/4 AAAs...30 hrs of useful light
2.5 oz One PT Rage w/4 AAAs...1+ hr of REALLY BRIGHT light
2.5 oz One more PT Rage...spare AAAs and spare lamp
---
7.5 oz total; well over 60 hrs of light and LOTS of spare options

+ two different brightness levels & inexpensive NiMHs for routine use if you want.

(Cost = $16 + $9 + $9 = $34 total)

Love those small, compact, lightweight PT lights!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestions: You need a headlamp and a longer-throw light, both of which are rugged, lightweight, and water resistant to a reasonable level.

PT Aurora or similar: small, light, water resistant, dimmable with very long runtimes on dimmer modes, bright enough for most uses, plus you're camping so you simply want a headlamp.

UKE 2L: You can go with the 4AA if you're willing to go heavier, but the 2L is just as bright, lighter, dive-quality water resistance, about 2.5-3 hours runtime at 30ish lumens and pretty nice throw for such a little light.

I think the only thing that would get me to waver from the above is if I really believed the E2e was very water resistant (not being sarcastic, just don't know). If so, I might consider carrying the extra weight of the E2e in return for having the advantage of carrying both the HO and LO bulbs, which I feel is a bona fide advantage.

I like this strategy -- bright handheld plus dimmer long-running headlamp -- better than the reverse strategy of using a xenon headlamp plus dimmer handheld (e.g., Infinity). You'll be needing the dimmer light much more often than the brighter light, and you'll often be needing it when you want two hands. As a result, I feel you're better off with the long-running light being on your head, and the bright light being in your hand.

Aurora+2L is a hard combo to beat. You can replace the Aurora with any similar light from Petzl, Moonlight, etc.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I just returned from a 3 day camping trip. Hiking, but no backpacking. I was surprised how little light I needed. I think the X5 and G2 may be overkill, but you may need much longer-ranged light than I did.

First off, the PT Aurora is indespensible to me. I mounted it on a wide-brimmed hat and it served me through three rain showers, all exposed up there. I spent the majority of my time with it in low brightness mode, which was more than sufficient. I used to have a Petzel Tikka, but sold it-- the only flashlight I bought for myself and sold later.

The CMG Ultras were big hits, but almost too bright for task lighting (less than three feet). They were great for walking around after dark. The CMG Infinity in a non-green color for contrast would be great.

The Kriana Krill lamps were wonderful tent lights. I only have Extreme 180's and they were a little too bright inside the tent, but nice for lighting an area outside so no one tripped over tent lines. They are a little heavy, but rugged and waterproof.

I used my SF A2 constantly, almost 90% of the time in LED mode. Between the Aurora and the A2, at least 99% of my light was from triple-led lights. When the night falls in the forest, having CMG Infinity light levels is more than sufficient, unless you need to spot something distant, and then you run into diminishing returns.

If you are going to be doing any work after dark the Aurora is a neccessity, although you could clip an ARC AAA or CMG to a hat.

If you can only have two lights, I'd recommend the Aurora and a 123-based light. Remember, everything gets wet and nothing dries out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so favor waterproofness. And put everything on lanyards. Even the most indestructable light benfits from never being dropped in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd also inquire as to what your companions may be carrying. I doubt everyone will need a high-power light to themselves, and the brighter lights are heavier, a great penalty if you won't need them often.

Myself, I'll go nowhere without that Aurora and a CMG. I'd back up the Aurora with a Arc AAA if I can spare it, and then get a two or four AA light to hold spares for the CMG and occassionally fire a beam into the distance.

How I wish the Aurora were a two-AA light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Then I'd do Aurora, CMG Infinity, and an SF A2.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blikbok said: I was surprised how little light I needed....at least 99% of my light was from triple-led lights.

I really, really agree with this. I use the PT Attitude for 95% (maybe higher) of ALL my flashlight needs. 3 bright LEDs seems to be the perfect balance of bright enough for just about every task but dim enough not to overwhelm for a task light; plus, 3 LEDs gives a nice, smooth, broad beam.

It is why my second light for those times when you need something really bright can be a light with modest runtime like a Rage or a Brinkmann LX (both about an hour). After a WEEK of camping, I never turned on these BRIGHT lights even one time.

Since lights like the PT Aurora or PT Attitude work so well and are AAA based, that is a big part of the reason I use a PT Rage for the second light (it has the AAA spares). It is hardly bigger or heavier than a mere spares carrier...but can function as that REALLY BRIGHT, second back up light if need be.

If weight is really the issue...I'd go with these AAA based lights.

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
I spend quite a bit of time hiking and camping (that's what happens when you're self-unemployed), and I'm always amazed what I need and what I don't.

Last year, I spent 4 continuous weeks out in the woods. At the time, the only LED light I had was one of the Brinkmann 2-AA things with the lens in the front (can never remember the name, but it's the one with the side-by-side batteries.) Compared to the LEDs I have now it's anemic in output, but guess what - that's the light that got used nearly all of the time!

I had several other lights with me, and the only one that saw use other than that cheap Brinkmann was my Scorpion - for chasing the dog down one night, when he decided to chase something. That was it, and it was significant overkill.

On the last several trips, I've been carrying an Infinity Ultra and a Streamlight Propolymer 2AA. The Infinity handles 99+% of everything; it's brighter than the Brinkmann which proved to be completely adequate, yet it's smaller and has the all-important lanyard. On those occasions when I needed throw, the 2AA Streamlight was more than sufficient. The fact that they both use AAs makes resupply easier, too.

When you're away from light pollution, you just don't need a lot of lumens to light things up!

YMMV, of course.

-=[ grant ]=-