I remember... "the good old days" of CPF

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when:

Darell made sure we stayed on topic.

None of us could spell barrel after dealing with Darell.

Every Thursday night everbody would go to McGizmo's garage to talk and
have Jiffy Pop popcorn and Falstaff beer.

Empath would come to your house to moderate you.

Once a year Sasha would come around and give you a flashlight and a hug around the neck.

carrot's first post was about which light to use to find your sippy cup.

DM51 was a real trouble maker.

If you over posted Size15s would turn off the electricity to your house.

If you posted something very well stated and truly informative, greenLED would send you a big bag of Now-n-Laters, Sugar Babies, Necco Wafers, Bit-O-Honey Bars, Bazooka Bubble Gum, lemon heads, Slow Pokes, Candy cigarettes and Fizzies.

I would not use my M.S.U. handbook when posting.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another blast from the past that I completely forgot about was Eternalights. Does anyone still use them?

I still fire up my Derringer now and then, and the Palight. Never had an Opalec, but was mighty tempted. I can still see in my mind their runtime graphs from Roy, and the unusually good regulation (maybe just the better Eternalights).

Geoff

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so dead for that one. :rolleyes:

:D

carrot has always been helpful even from the get go. :thumbsup:

I remember Icebreak trying to find every possible combination of cells to run a ROP ;)

What was up with odd NiMH with fractional sizes like 4/5 AA and things like that? :lolsign:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember lurking before I joined. I remember Carrot joining... before that when the LuxV mods where $$$ and hotbeam's heatsinks and the X bin !!! Space needles and all that. Early Elektrolumens. When 100lux was pretty good. When Q bin low dome luxeons were premiums.

Don stopped making lights?!?! I've been away too long!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stilll get use out of my Opalec and PALight (the latter of which I was surprised to learn are still being sold)

http://www.safe-light.com/index.html

My daughter has an orange one, still works great :thumbsup:

Miss Doug, great guy.

Remember the times when we modded everything because most stock lights with the exception of Arc, Aleph and Surefire sucked:sick2:

Still update most my lights and mostly buy new ones for gifts..

Miss the McE2s and McC2s from the Sandwich shoppe, should have grabbed a couple for my E series lights:ohgeez:

Sverre

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I remember when everyone knew Size15's real first name and what he looks like. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
That thing was awesome. Sucked batteries dry like no other. I would love to pick up a new one with updated LEDs.
That thing IS awesome! Still have one of those somewhere.

If you posted something very well stated and truly informative, greenLED would send you a big bag of Now-n-Laters, Sugar Babies, Necco Wafers, Bit-O-Honey Bars, Bazooka Bubble Gum, lemon heads, Slow Pokes, Candy cigarettes and Fizzies.
:crackup:

I remember when everyone knew Size15's real first name and what he looks like. :)
You mean before he... ?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You mean before he... ?

Yup. That's exactly what I mean.

(Before he stopped signing his name to his posts, and before he changed his avatar to a non-existant ICON model.)

Unless you mean something else you're not telling us. :whistle:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember lurking before I joined. I remember Carrot joining... before that when the LuxV mods where $$$ and hotbeam's heatsinks and the X bin !!! Space needles and all that. Early Elektrolumens. When 100lux was pretty good. When Q bin low dome luxeons were premiums.

Don stopped making lights?!?! I've been away too long!

Whoa, IssacHayes is back!

So sad about 3rd_Shift right now....
I remember the stuff I wanted back then, how I eventually got them and no longer own them....

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
The olden days of CPF. Back when flashlights were real flashlights, and men were real......oh, dear.... nevermind............ :crackup:

DarellBaby_002.jpg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: My word that was quite the thread.

No kidding!

All these years I've been on CPF I have never stumbled across that thread and it was quite a scorcher to read :eek:

What I'm glad though is that CPF has definitely survived those turbulent times and still remains the go-to, civil, friendly and community-focused resource for lighting systems. GO CPF!! :twothumbs

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'm glad though is that CPF has definitely survived those turbulent times and still remains the go-to, civil, friendly and community-focused resource for lighting systems. GO CPF!! :twothumbs
Indeed. Despite the whole meltdown he had a good vision. I signed up on some of the other flashlight sites but never go to them because of the very immature banter and bouncing boob type avatars. Don't get me wrong. I like em as much as any other man but let's at least comport ourselves like grownup gentleman in public shall we. While not perfect CPF is the best forum I have found on the net save one. saabsunited.com But that one also has the same style moderation as this one does(sometimes seemingly heavy-handed) and it has worked to its benefit. This is an unusually well run site and I wish more people would support via donations for the massive amount of benefit received.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember finding this place from LED Museum's site, back then he was telephony.

I was reading a dialog between him and Darell about LED Christmas lights. The thread drew me in. I read other threads about modifications people were doing and people building their own lights. It was so friendly with gentle bantering.

Darell let me in on a group buy for Christmas lights I still have. Later I got something from Mr. Bulk and some BadBoy and MadMax sandwiches from Dat2Zip. Looking at the receipt right now. Still use those sandwiches. No failures in 9 years.

I like to remember that time.

I waited forever it seemed before the McLux came out and got one of those. I felt like I was in a club of people that were elite in their intelligence. I still feel that way about the place even though it's a lot different now in many ways.

Since that time I've met a bunch of great guys and gals. That's really why I still log in. The membership. You never know what new member you might become friends with. You never know what crazy idea turns out to be stellar.

I feel like I've got pals all over the world.

Once in a while I'll run into one while out in the real world. It's very cool.