I Saw a Low Meteor about Ten Minutes ago

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
They say that while these spring months are a bit lacking in organized showers, for some reason there is an unexplained increase in bolides/fireballs around this time (when logically, the increase should occur during the autumn months).

I've been too busy to stare up, but I did see that it was nice and clear a few nights ago, and it made me want to lay out in the grass and relax. But I didn't.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
They say that while these spring months are a bit lacking in organized showers, for some reason there is an unexplained increase in bolides/fireballs around this time (when logically, the increase should occur during the autumn months).

I've been too busy to stare up, but I did see that it was nice and clear a few nights ago, and it made me want to lay out in the grass and relax. But I didn't.

IMO, it's all about the "timing". I'm sure I missed a lot of them, but it's when I'm not concentrating on anything at eye level is when I'll see one of these fireballs, or other anomalies. Which I'll hold for another thread, as not to derail this one. It seems when I least expect to see anything is when it happens.

:tinfoil:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Earlier today in Murmansk, Russia:

uvmzlo5m7brozlkhxmbz.gif

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week I was looking to the north when I saw a small beam of light. Didn't take much noticed of it thinking it was a flight coming in (all though a bit early IMO) with it's take off / landing lights on (which at that distance would hide it's blinking / flashing night fight lights).

What did get my attention was the rate the light was growing which was heading directly south. It got large rather fast, then suddenly dissipated. ... Cool!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw another tonight. Lasted approx 1 1/2 plus seconds.

Greta

Flashaholic
Saw another tonight. Lasted approx 1 1/2 plus seconds.

I saw one last night also... would have made for a great photo cuz it was nice and slow (in comparison) and was illuminated much longer than most I've seen.

FYI - the Aquarids Meteor Shower will be next week with peak on Tuesday morning at around 4AM. The radiant will be the star Eta in the constellation Aquarius. I use the Night Sky app on my iPhone to find the right location to point my camera.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw one last night also... would have made for a great photo cuz it was nice and slow (in comparison) and was illuminated much longer than most I've seen.

FYI - the Aquarids Meteor Shower will be next week with peak on Tuesday morning at around 4AM. The radiant will be the star Eta in the constellation Aquarius. I use the Night Sky app on my iPhone to find the right location to point my camera.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to get my rounds out of the way by 03:30, give Calvin a Jumbone while I sit in my chair! ...

:tinfoil:

Greta

Flashaholic
So wouldn't ya know it was cloudy this morning so there were no meteors to be seen. I did get some pretty neat photos of clouds and stars... but that's it. Oh well... next meteor shower is on August 10th - The Perseids! :)

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went out to a dark spot not last weekend, but the weekend before last, and saw quite a few meteors! So, perhaps I caught a few early Aquarids? They were feint and fast, but I could see them, and I don't have the best vision.

I've seen one meteor that I'd classify as a "fireball" a few years ago, it was amazing, orange, slow, went across 1/8 to 1/4 of the viewable hemisphere, left a glowing trail, it was crazy! I'm not good at orienting myself with respect to space, so I wasn't sure how to look it up to see if anybody else saw it, but I did find a neat site where you could report on, and view reports of, meteors: http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball_event/2014/