I was WARNED! 18650 PROTECTED Cells vs. NON-PROTECTED Cells.

Lexel

Enlightened
There are lights that need for sure a cell with PCB, mostly 14500 lights that run with NiMh cells as well, they cut off at 0,9V and run with a buck-boost driver.
The Jetbeam Jet-1 MK is one it runs with lithium cell brighter but it would depleet the cell below 2.5V.
The PCB triggers and suddenly you have no light.
Other lights warn you before they shut down.

Other lights get dim as the cell voltage gets lower than the LED voltage at max current.
Even if the lights driver has a parasitic drain plus a voltage that allows only sub moonlight it takes many hours to a couple days to get below 2.5V and at that point you have no useful light output at all, so the cell gets only depleeted if the light is turned on unnoticed.

Then there are lights that simply cut off all parasitic drain from driver and LED as they detect too low cell voltage as you run it that low or turn the light on with depleeted cell, using a linear driver and regulate the LED down the more the cell voltage drops.
The light also may indicate low cell voltage by fkickering before it shuts down.

good PCB LG 18650MJ1, Sanyo 18650GA or Samsung 18650-35E cells will get you good performance.
The voltage drop on a 8A PCB is about 70-100mV at 5A

Last edited:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Harro......straight and to the point! I like that! Oooh btw, nice Kitty! I have a Seal Point as well. Thanks.

SixCats!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did know that. It wasn't a proper response.
A discharged cell is no fire hazard.

It is the act of attempting to recharge a damaged battery that could cause a conflagration.
Most if not all chargers worth their salt have mechanisms in place to stop a charge if the battery exceeds a safe temperature.
soooo ...
the uninformed who surely trys to recharge the overdischarged cell ..
that does not pose a potential fire hazard?
:rolleyes:
PS: show me a charger that does anything when the battery "exceeds a safe temp" - I know of no such model.
(it is current and voltage ...)

as to OP:
SixCats, your light will not show any difference in brightness, so - as others have typed already - for start stay with protected cells

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light does not HAVE built in overdischarge protection, THAT is why the mfg wants you to use a Protected cell, to prevent OVERDISCHARGE! Nothing to do with brightness, its about fire safety.

I think something got lost in translation. Modern LG/Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/Sanyo cells are protected from shorting and then exploding, they typically only vent when they used to explode. Not a great thing when the cell is in a sealed metal tube....but still

IPTelman

Newly Enlightened
soooo ...
the uninformed who surely trys to recharge the overdischarged cell ..
that does not pose a potential fire hazard?
:rolleyes:
PS: show me a charger that does anything when the battery "exceeds a safe temp" - I know of no such model.
(it is current and voltage ...)

as to OP:
SixCats, your light will not show any difference in brightness, so - as others have typed already - for start stay with protected cells

Better idea.
Enjoy your flashlights and batteries.
Have a nice day. :)

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Six cats, as you can see, batteries are one of those things that people have strong opinions and varied knowledge on. The safety aspect makes people jumpy, so it's not uncommon for such a thread to devolve like this.

I believe you long ago got the answers you need, but know there are many battery threads on here where you could read up some more. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you to search for "hjk battery comparator" as there you can see how different cells perform under different amperage.

Have for with your Klarus!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Safe Li-Ion Usage:

• If you have to ask use Protected Batteries
  • "Protected Battery" when referring to Li-ion batteries refers to the addition of an electronic protection circuit. That does not mean that good engineering of the cell does not include design elements related to safety.
  • Just because you can does not mean you should.
  • Different protection circuits can have different maximum current ratings as well as anything else.
  • Some batteries have changed their protection circuits over time.
  • Be sure your charger is working correctly.
  • Don't mix batteries of different brands, models, revisions, age, or operating characteristics in devices requiring more than 1 battery. Protected batteries can help you avoid some simple issues of safety, but can also cause extra stress on the other batteries so ensure basic operating characteristics are aligned.
  • If a multi battery device is using batteries in Series you should be doing extra work to ensure the cells are suitable for such usage based on measured operating characteristics.
  • It does not matter what I say, he says, or she says, you're responsible for your actions.
  • Always Recycle

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hello all,

I VERY much appreciate all who responded to my thread. I am learning a lot! Since I already have four PROTECTED 18650 batteries (two supplied by Klarus and two ORBTRONICS 3500 MhV) I think for the time being I'll continue to stick with Protected cells. Bdm82, lol, yes indeed......strong opinions! I was going to ask.......FORD or CHEVY, 9mm or .45ACP, Blond or Brunette ? I think I'll pass.

SixCats!

Lexel

Enlightened
To be really safe the flashlight builders also should consider to get a vent valve in their high drain lights that cant use PCB cells

IPTelman

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I VERY much appreciate all who responded to my thread. I am learning a lot! Since I already have four PROTECTED 18650 batteries (two supplied by Klarus and two ORBTRONICS 3500 MhV) I think for the time being I'll continue to stick with Protected cells. Bdm82, lol, yes indeed......strong opinions! I was going to ask.......FORD or CHEVY, 9mm or .45ACP, Blond or Brunette ? I think I'll pass.

SixCats!
Now you can go light up those cats! 6? Whatchagot? :)

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi IPT,

Ah, truthfully, when I took the Moniker SixCats!, I had.....Six Cats lol. Then...SEVEN. Now as the years have passed, I'm down to four Kitties. One is a Tortie and HER name (long story) is BUCK the Wonder Kitty! BUCK is now 18 years old! I rescued BUCK in the Woods of TN while on my way to Hunting Camp. Some Heartless SOB dumped the little 6-8 week old Kitty in the woods along a Logging Road in the pouring rain. Ugggh. I've had several rescued Tabbies, a Black Persian, and a White Cornish Rex named KAOS. My second to last adopted Kitty happens to be my favorite. Her name is Di-Di and she is a HOOT! Di-Di is a pure breed Tortie Cornish Rex that looks JUST LIKE the kitty in this picture :

http://www.kayleecornishrex.com/retired/evenew 12.jpg

I Love her to death! My most recent rescued/adopted was a Seal Point Siamese, her name is Mika. Sadly, Mika has health issues and her health/Vet Bills will no doubt put me in the poor house.
Wife won't give up on trying to make Mika healthy. I give the wife credit!

SixCats!

harro

Enlightened
Hello all,

SixCats!

Lol :thumbsup:

Latest posts