I'm a pilot - help me find some new flashlights

scottm

Newly Enlightened
So what specifically will you need this light for? Will it be: a walkaround light; a "what did the FA just serve me" light; a digging through your kit bag light; a searching under your seat for a lost pen light; a writing down holding instructions light; a total electrical failure at night light?

I can't imagine one light that can do all that. I really never found a light for total electrical failure at night, and I've had that happen. I think a Zipka with a red lens on top of my kit bag would be the best emergency light, you could slap it on your head quickly and it wouldn't blind the other pilot. And it would work well as a hand-held. I've looked at lights that clip on David Clarks, haven't seen any for the light-weight headsets or in-ear type I used. My brother had a finger-tip light, cool but kind of awkward. His was for night-vision, but I think there are other versions.

For outside the cockpit, any good light is good. I wasn't allowed to use rechargeable batteries, maybe you don't have that restriction. Recharging can be a problem in some countries, although you'll get an adapter. I'd still prefer a common battery for life on the road.

concept0

Enlightened
I agree with everybody recommending Photons. All the Photons I've ever used start from a very low setting when you hold the button. As others have said they have Morse/SOS settings if necesssary.

The Freedom is tiny and use lithium button cells. They come in all body colors with different color LEDs and a hat clip. You can even get a "covert" setup that covers all but the front of the LED. They can be pretty bright, when necessary.

I absolutely LOVE my new Photon ReX, too. The low is almost as low as the Freedom, but it gets much brighter, as it has 4 Nichia GS LEDs. It only comes in one color with white LEDs, but the switch glows, which is nice. The ReX is rechargable, with a built in lithium batterys. It recharges with metal contacts that attach to a standard 1.5v or 3.0v battery, so no AC outlet necessary. This thing is TINY (for having 4 LEDs) and always stays on my keyring.

The Pro sounds interesting, though I've never used it, just because it has both red and white LEDs. But you might be better off with a ReX and a Freedom (with red LED).

I'm no pilot, so take this advice for what it's worth...

Retinator

Enlightened
Since cockpit duty is indoors, what about a Pak/Pal light?

Tonnes of colors and a low/high option.
Small, good runtime, simple enough.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you seem to really like your A2 and that it would be your perfect light if the red LEDs were a bit dimmer so I have a suggestion. You could contact on of the premier modders on CPF which is milkyspit (his real name is Scott). He has given countless people there ideal lights and I am sure he could make the red LEDs dimmer for you. His PM box is always full but you can contact him at his email address. His email is milky(at)quarryrun and im sure he could make both your A2's the only lights you would ever need up there.

I'm leaning toward recommending an onion ring - pick your favorite three LEDs, and dial in a desired brightness - even the low beam is regulated on an onion-ized A2. It's totally reversible, and all it takes is a screwdriver - a phillips one to take out the old ring and put in the new one, and a flat one to dial in your desired output level. You might consider one (or two) white A2s if you go that route, though, based on your stated use of a low white light.

Alternately, a Ra Twisty with the red low might be good for you. Since the new programming guide was released, you can set the low and medium levels however you like, and still have a fairly blistering high for ice checks.

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened
I'm leaning toward recommending an onion ring - pick your favorite three LEDs, and dial in a desired brightness - even the low beam is regulated on an onion-ized A2. It's totally reversible, and all it takes is a screwdriver - a phillips one to take out the old ring and put in the new one, and a flat one to dial in your desired output level. You might consider one (or two) white A2s if you go that route, though, based on your stated use of a low white light.

Is that project still a go? From what I have read it sounds indefinitely stalled.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello! Twice you have been told the correct answer.

A2 with Y/G LEDs!

And NO, the Y/G LEDs are NOT too bright, they are what you seek. The Y/G LEDs were MADE for this!

HHHeeelllllllllllooooooo! Are you listening?

My .02 FWIW YMMV

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened

A2 with Y/G LEDs!

And NO, the Y/G LEDs are NOT too bright, they are what you seek. The Y/G LEDs were MADE for this!

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Last edited:

dadriva

Newly Enlightened
Midwest, I'm an S-76 driver and use an A2 Aviator and it serves me very well for anything from preflight, walkarounds, guiding the med crew towards the aircraft on scene runs, etc...

However, there is indeed a lot of new (and perhaps less expensive) technology that is IMO pretty worthwhile. I just picked up an Eagle-Tac T10C2 and I am VERY impressed. Depending on what you are flying, it would be a great preflight light (295 lumens on high). Thus far, it seems to be a quality light.

I also have a SF U2 ultra coming but cannot comment on that yet as I've not yet gotten my grubby hands on it. I can't wait though!

I do not use a flashlight in the cockpit though as I use a lip light or mic light etc... so a "low" setting or red color to preserve night vision isn't really a concern.

Here's a linky to lip lights...

http://www.thehangar.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44

Good luck and let us know what you end up with....

Toaster

Enlightened
Why not the "M" models (as suggested above)?

Looks to me that poster just decided to recommend what he bought instead of making a recommendation based on your requirements. :shrug:

All of the Jetbeam Jet-III models except the M fails your requirement B. Those models always turn on at the first preset level and forces you to cycle through the presets if you want a different level. The M model allows you to turn on the light at your level of choice. In addition, most every Jet-III model besides the M won't accept primary CR123s. And I assume not being able to use CR123s would be a dealbreaker for your intended use.

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened
Looks to me that poster just decided to recommend what he bought instead of making a recommendation based on your requirements. :shrug:

All of the Jetbeam Jet-III models except the M fails your requirement B. Those models always turn on at the first preset level and forces you to cycle through the presets if you want a different level. The M model allows you to turn on the light at your level of choice. In addition, most every Jet-III model besides the M won't accept primary CR123s. And I assume not being able to use CR123s would be a dealbreaker for your intended use.

Now THAT is excellent insight. THANK YOU. The "M" model sounds like a great choice.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I also agree that the Jet III M is probably worth a try. It's not that expensive compared to the A2s you already have, so IMO, it's worth trying out to see if it fulfills your needs, if it doesn't you aren't out a huge chunk of change, but more than likely, you will find a lot of reasons to like it.

There's no such thing as having too many lights around here anyways. The suggestion to have one of the A2s modded with an extra resistor on the LEDs is also something you should consider, have both the A2 and the Jetbeam as viable options for both duties you describe, with the extra A2 on hand as backup.

Alternatively, as others have suggested, split the tasks between 2 different lights, some sort of micro light for in the cockpit, and maybe a larger incan for ice checks... I'm thinking along the lines of a M4. The larger turbo head may prove to be even better for cutting through the fog :)

There are a lot of possible options, the fun part is trying them out and seeing what works best for you. If you are sticking with CR123s, then SureFire certainly has a lot of options on the table to play around with, and anything you don't like, you can resell and not take much loss on. (they have great resell value!)

Eric

scottm

Newly Enlightened

Midwest is accused of excessive discussion of flashlights? On a forum where guys discuss flashlights? :rolleyes:

Flashlights are cool, but for a professional pilot, it's worth putting a bit more enthusiasm into your decision. Night flying is extra challenging from pre-flight inspection to post-flight. Any time you need a flashlight in the cockpit it's something slightly unusual, and unusual is bad when flying. A night electrical fire is probably the worst aircraft emergency, it's about a dozen serious emergencies at once. It's unlikely you'll survive if your flashlight fails before you get some partial power back on line. Pilots rehearse and prepare for these kind of emergencies, and this choice is part of it. I'm anxious to hear what Midwest chooses and how he likes it.

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened
Midwest is accused of excessive discussion of flashlights? On a forum where guys discuss flashlights? :rolleyes:

Flashlights are cool, but for a professional pilot, it's worth putting a bit more enthusiasm into your decision. Night flying is extra challenging from pre-flight inspection to post-flight. Any time you need a flashlight in the cockpit it's something slightly unusual, and unusual is bad when flying. A night electrical fire is probably the worst aircraft emergency, it's about a dozen serious emergencies at once. It's unlikely you'll survive if your flashlight fails before you get some partial power back on line. Pilots rehearse and prepare for these kind of emergencies, and this choice is part of it. I'm anxious to hear what Midwest chooses and how he likes it.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
RWT1405, you made a bit of a fool of yourself with your post, and midwestpilot dealt with it very well in his reply to you, so I think no further intervention is required.

It is worth pointing out that there is NO "correct answer" (as you put it), and no "right" or "wrong" light for any situation. It is a matter of what best suits each individual user. And the way midwestpilot is going about researching what would best suit his requirement is sensible - and very interesting too. This is a good thread.

scottm

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've flown a bit, military and A^A. I was also an Accident Site Investigator in the military, and did read a lot about poor cockpit lighting contributing to accidents. I'm not sure I'd try a flashlight for a landing light, you need both hands to land safely. I landed without a landing light to get my private pilot's license a looong time ago, haven't tried it since, but it can be done. Some landing lights can only be on for a few minutes on the ground without overheating, they're tremendously powerful. From 1/4-mile away, landing lights are blinding, yet they barely light up a runway landing point from that distance. It's possible a flashlight can help you see the runway, but seems unlikely.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a great question and you're right. And, because the A2 has two operating modes, I suppose some of its appeal comes from the fact that it can cover a few different tasks. My night light use usually starts from the moment I walk out of the hangar onto the dark ramp, through the walkaround and pre-flight (all of which the A2 incandescent is fantastic), then into the cockpit before the engine is fired up I like to start bringing down the light levels to let my eyes begin to adjust. At this point, I am using the Arc 4+ on a low setting (white light). I might also use the red LEDs, but again, I find them a bit harsh. Once the panel lights are up, I only use the flashlights routinely beyond that for ice inspection, periodically to illuminate taxi-ways, and maybe also to find something that has fallen on the floor in the cabin that isn't being otherwise illuminated by cabin lights. Beyond that, the thought of having a light bright enough to replace my landing light in a pinch is attractive. Reviewing maps, writing down clearances, etc. are usually covered by the installed map lights in the aircraft. As for a total electrical failure, I have done a few hours of practice doing a simulated total electrical failure on a moonless night (with no ground lighting either). I fly the G1000 panel, so I typically then hold the A2 in my right hand and have the incandescent pointed at the backup steam gauges (which are mounted down low). Theoretically, I could also turn on the other A2 and set it up to point out the front for a landing light. Further, in that event I suppose I could give my third light to a passenger to assist with cockpit duties, fish out a backup com radio out of my bag, etc. So again, the A2's are really ideal little lights for pilots, particularly if the LED's could be dimmed a bit. If anything, typing this out makes me think that having three lights while flying at night probably isn't a bad idea. I haven't tried any of the clip on/necklace/visor lights. I also use an in-the-ear headset that doesn't accommodate those little lights that go on the headset boom. In my case, though, with the alignment of the backup gauges relative to the G1000, I am not sure those would do anything for me...

Don't buy this BS that a falshlight will be bright enough to substitute your landing light.

I know Surefire has a story on it in its website, it has to be one of the most stupid stories and should be removed. If your landing light burns after takeoff like it usually happens, you execute your stabilized approach with a constant airspeed and adjust rate of descent with power (you need both hands to do this) keep your eyes on the far end of the runway and land without a light like you were taught, and not compromise a good hand on glaring light from a flashlight in your face at a critical moment.

Come on, you know how bright your landing light is ? and you've seen how its only good to see the pavement when you're about 30 feet high.

All that being said, I'm an A2 adict myself and have several of them. And yes, a yellow green A2 is what you want in your position, but you'll be disapointed in it for landing light substitution.:thinking:

BTW, I just read ScottM's post and fully back what he said.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if the landing light thing is really worrying, why not get a Beast or Hellfighter? The Hellfighter is designed to be mounted, so it shouldn't be too terribly hard to make a good secure quick-release mount and a portable battery pack for dismounted use...

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened
Don't buy this BS that a falshlight will be bright enough to substitute your landing light.

It's a good point, and one I am going to explore. I (like most pilots) have tried several landings without a landing light (just using the REIL's or edge lighting), and it's not a huge deal. But, I need to up my night currency in the next week or so, and I will see if setting up the A2 on the glareshield does anything worthwhile for nightime landings. I do agree that if you need to use a hand to hold the light out of the window, the tradeoff doesn't make any sense. Thanks for your insight.

astrotec

Newly Enlightened
good luck on your choices
but remember the wind screen will be glaring back if you are using the light from inside... if possible ... and a third hand is available ( ie a co-pilot or passenger) and you are low enough to not worry about cabin pressure you can always have that "third hand" shine it our the pop open window... and if the light is a "throw" light with enough lux it "might" help a small amount ... (any how sounds like you have more hours than i do ) i would not expect a lot from a hand held portable light vs a sealed beam or halogen or HID landing light ... and the night time runway environment is always very interesting and fun ... some of my best landings were done at night once i saw the perspective i needed ...
here is to level wings and good tailwinds
a.t.:thumbsup: