I'm really tired of that little puff of smoke . .

wmpwi

Enlightened
I\'m really tired of that little puff of smoke . .

OK, I'll say it at the outset. I'm new to this stuff and every day I find there's more I don't understand. So far, I found one thing I am good at. That would be screwing up flashlights and their related components. My newest means of destruction is toasting parts. Lately, I've seen that little puff of smoke too much. My latest was the driver to my Nuwai Q3. I was running a Li-ion in it and that seemed to work ok. I thought I could handle a simple mod by replacing the LED and star HS w/ a Cree on its typical HS. They fit real nicely. I popped it back together and there's that puff little of smoke again. Seems the power was a bit stiff. This is really getting old quick. So now the question is: I'll use what ever battery I need to, but I can't continue to wreck this stuff. Any suggestions? Feel free to PM me. Thanks

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: I\'m really tired of that little puff of smoke

Charley,

Welcome to CPF and "modding!" You have the opportunity to start a list of things that didn't work! I wish I had! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif "Magic Smoke" will start to smell so divine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Larry

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did a quick check of the Q 3 using the reviews section / flashlight reviews.com.

In the review, the driver circuit is stated as a boost circuit, meaning, it will take whatever voltage you are starting with, and push it up to the voltage required to meet the Vf of the LED.

With a "normal" CR 123, the V bat will drop to approx 2.5 ish volts under load, so you are always under the nominal 3.5 - 4 volts of the LED. When using a R 123, you are potentially already above the Vf of the LED, so the boost circuit will kind of go crazy and fry your LED.

Last but not least, the Cree part is in fact a 1 watt part, not a 3 watt part like the Lux III. I am not sure what current the Q - 3 drives at, but I think it is higher than 400ma. That by itself should not really be a problem though, as I have used the Cree X LED successfully (on a bench setup) up to 1 amp for short periods (20 minutes). Like all LEDs, there is heat, but it did not insta flash.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Yeah, that's a "non-passive end of life characteristic."
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The safest thing to do is to pull up the chip's specs and look at the absolute maximum ratings portion of the sheet. It's usually listed before everything else so it's easy to spot. The maximum Vf or breakdown voltage is one of the most critical specs - the other is heatsinking requirements and that one's usually buried somewhere in the narrative section of the specs.

Good luck! Don't feel bad - we've all had plenty of experience with that, um, distinctive odor.

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
HarryN said:
I did a quick check of the Q 3 using the reviews section / flashlight reviews.com.

In the review, the driver circuit is stated as a boost circuit, meaning, it will take whatever voltage you are starting with, and push it up to the voltage required to meet the Vf of the LED.

With a "normal" CR 123, the V bat will drop to approx 2.5 ish volts under load, so you are always under the nominal 3.5 - 4 volts of the LED. When using a R 123, you are potentially already above the Vf of the LED, so the boost circuit will kind of go crazy and fry your LED.

Last but not least, the Cree part is in fact a 1 watt part, not a 3 watt part like the Lux III. I am not sure what current the Q - 3 drives at, but I think it is higher than 400ma. That by itself should not really be a problem though, as I have used the Cree X LED successfully (on a bench setup) up to 1 amp for short periods (20 minutes). Like all LEDs, there is heat, but it did not insta flash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've ran them at 1 Amp for extended periods.

A birdie told me so stand by for considerable specs adjustment for the better on the part in the short term. The same one you are holding in your hand....

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

the ammmeter.
right before you "Fire" up any of this stuff, do a last check with an ammeter, any ammeter , and dont forget the LEADS of a multimeters ammeter can have a very high drop (use better wires).
if you can do that check on something like the tailcap to the battery base, it could save you greif.

i can show you many data sheets that have vast errors on them , well not to mention the vaster errors i make.
when is a volt not a volt? when the guy who makes the manuel didnt make the parts. good start, bad reliance.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:

I've ran them at 1 Amp for extended periods.

A birdie told me so stand by for considerable specs adjustment for the better on the part in the short term. The same one you are holding in your hand....

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit teasing, Newbie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif When are these babies supposed to be out?

cy

Flashaholic

welcome to the club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

got to destroy a few to figure what works and what won't work.

A stiff (10amps+) regulated power supply can be real useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Latest posts