I'm wondering if this is a valid statment

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I don't know, I was just offering a little info.

He smashed it several times ion concrete and threw it as for or high as he could, as di dsome others. Then it went out and lit up again after a battery change. The batteries had been crushed. The Beast uses 4x5 CR123 ini rows of 5.

Drops, car accidents etc. can develop pretty impressive G-forces. Might be comparable to what PK did :shrug:
So there might be a point about batteries being crushed in lights.

bernie

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drops, car accidents etc. can develop pretty impressive G-forces. Might be comparable to what PK did :shrug:
So there might be a point about batteries being crushed in lights.

bernie

This is true.

It was something I've never even thought about. It's probably something to never worry about but it will happen as soon as you need your light.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hahaha:
To me, the statement in question proves nothing but that prime quality / high price manufacturers are quite capable of producing marketing bullshit...

I think most manufacturers of prime quality / high price equipment would hate to admit that they could have done ANYTHING any other way. If they use 16 mm tubes with CR123A's then they will claim that this is the only thing that really works in though environments. Which is hard to tell until you try it, isn't it? I am sure if they actually HAD tested 18650 with inconclusive negative results they would have told the OP.
:clap:

On the other hand, putting 16 mm batteries in a 18 mm tube seems to be a pretty bad idea if you want to make sure nothing can go wrong ... If battery flexibility is important, why don't manufacturer make a removable sleeve out of a 1 mm thick material?

Yup - Olight solved that problem for the M20 pretty handily in exactly that manner - they made a plastic tube with 1mm walls, springs on both contacts and 'voila' a premium weapon light that can take CR123A/18650/RCR123A.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how much kinetic force from an impact can a 17gr battery produce, with only 2mm of free space for lateral movement...

Batteries can be crushed, but it has nothing to do with 2 extra mm internal width. If someone did a flashlight impact battery crush test with the Fenix TK12 and 2xcr123, using the normal battery body then the 18650 extension body, results will be the same.

If I produced and sold flashlights and people asked me why my product cannot take 18650, I would have said the same thing. This is marketing. Eagletac says they make the "best built flashlight in the world", do you believe them as well?

Even if that statement is right, I dont think military personnel would care about crushed primaries. They are disposable, runs out in few hours and if they fail, just change it!

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the CR123A can be crushed as well, then they might as well let their light use 18650 batteries.
I don't know the tech stuff, but I do remeber the stories about the famous PK "Beast Toss" where pk smashed a SF Beast repeatedly into concrete. What eventually made it go dark where crushed batteries. CR123 batteries.

So .. damage to cells can happen and it need not be a plane crash to make it happen.

bernie

Raybo

Enlightened
I started a thread on another forum asking about lights using 18650 batteries and I got this response. Would you agree with this?

Originally Posted By Elzetta:
We can assure you from rigorous testing and analysis that a larger bore diameter significantly increases the stress on the batteries under impact.
Thus no premium weapon light manufacturer uses large bores that accomodate 18650 cells.

I can really say...........I have no clue! :shrug: