Impact Resistance - What Are The Best?

an_abstraction

Newly Enlightened
I look for anything with dual springs for a good impact / shock resistant light.

Inova X5 for pocket carry and a TK22 for anything where extra light is needed.

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
>Would you mind telling us which lights did not survive being dropped?

I already named my most recent one - ThruNite TN12 2014 (which does have springs at both ends). I found everything about that light perfectly to my liking save for the observed durability. If they made a "high impact" version of the TN12 and charged $25 more I'd pay it in a heartbeat.

Prior to that: I had an AA Fenix LD10 that went intermittent after a drop. If there's anything that's aggravating it's a light that won't just stay on while you're using it.

This probably doesn't count, but my son bought me an el-cheapo (under $10, I think it said Ultrafire on the side) that just stopped working after being jostled around in my pocket for a few weeks).

P.S., thanks again for all the ideas. I have more to go read about.

P.P.S., I think I really prefer the clicky switch on the back cap, which kind of excludes several of the models mentioned earlier.

-Noel

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any Thrunite, so I can't speak about their products, but I'm surprised about the LD10. I'd say check the switch and stretch the spring if you haven't done that already.

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
FYI,

Thrunite has returned my query and offered to replace the light. All I have to do is send it in. Very nice of them.

-Noel

D6859

Enlightened
FYI,

Thrunite has returned my query and offered to replace the light. All I have to do is send it in. Very nice of them.

-Noel

Nice! But will you be carrying TN12 as EDC? Or will it be replaced by an other flashlight?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id go armytek. For the price you really cant beat them. I believe the olights and fenix's can take a beating but maybe not to the same extent. I wouldnt get anything nitecore.

delus

Newly Enlightened
Did Someone say "tougher than nails"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bYZZUS3WA

Here's the video where they drop an Elzetta out of a helicopter. Twice.
Result: inch-long chip in the concrete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIa96YjsRbY

It did pretty good with a point-blank shotgun blast of birdshot... but buckshot pierced the body.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozstdsnHNs

Taking it apart and putting it back together, while underwater, is also quite impressive. I think this also proves it's worthiness against dust and grime impregnation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaCwgVrdXFA
One of mine was dropped in a bucket of latex paint, I just hosed it off and stuck it back in my pocket.

Elzetta's decision to use a solid acrylic lens instead of a reflector and glass adds another dimension of impact resistance.
The rubber covering the switch might be the weak spot, i can imagine some situations that may cut it. But i can't think of any normal situation that might seriously damage any other portion of the light.
They do not overdrive their electronics.
If you need the 18650, buy a bored Elzetta from OverReady. Runtime is longer with the 18650.

Get an Elzetta, you will not be sorry.
The only thing you'll worry about is who do you leave it to in your will. Heirloom Quality.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't seen the helicopter drop video before. That's even the low profile head, which is likely the least robust of the three options.

If I were going into an environment requiring extreme ruggedness, an Elzetta with crenelated bezel would definitely make the cut, along with a Moddoolar Pocket with Triad tailcap. Foursevens, Malkoff, Surefire, and HDS lights would wait behind for my return.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no doubts at all about Elzetta's ruggedness, durability and reliability, but I am not willing to let it take a drop if at all possible. I changed my drop-in to the older and more neutral Malkoff M61w and it is a real joy to use. The latest M61w are too warm in my opinion. One of the toughest lights out there. Funny till now none of the AVS heads have been put through all these tests posted above. I have an AVS too and am curious if it will survive the same tests.

I can't believe I am saying this but my Zebralight SC62w is tough. Dropped it a few times about slightly more than a meter onto concrete and tiles and not a ding nor scratch. It survived the falls obviously and still functions reliably after those falls. I can't believe how tough these Chinese made lights can be.

A few of my HDS rotaries took many drops too from my desk onto marble flooring and are still functioning wonderfully. All they suffered from are some slight chipping of their anodizing.

Another light of mine that takes the fall well is the Surefire Fury. On the first day of ownership I accidentally sent it flying onto Tarmac. My heart instantly skipped a few bits, and other than it getting a couple of nicks, it survived. I subsequently dropped it a couple of times more but it is still good.

All these are based on my personal experiences and I am not saying they are the toughest lights without more concrete testing. What I am saying is these lights should survive your normal day to day usage and drops, and should not pose any issues caused by the drops.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol! The number of times you dropped your lights shocks me! :eek:
Haha! Because I was trying to get them in the dark! In process either knocking them down the edge of the desk or accidentally sent them flying. For my Surefire Fury I left it just beside me on the bench and I knocked it off the bench when I was reaching for it too fast. It flew about 3 meters and with it my heart as well. Lol!

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
Nice! But will you be carrying TN12 as EDC? Or will it be replaced by an other flashlight?
New TN12 Replacement received. Works perfectly. "Neutral White" light is not quite as warm colored as the prior one. 1000+ lumens is beyond brilliant - it's like sunshine.

I'm going to call this breakage an anomaly. Feels good to have a great light in my pocket again.

-Noel

Last edited:

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
Lol! The number of times you dropped your lights shocks me! :eek:
Not sure to whom you were replying, but if you get "out there" and "do things" the chance of your flashlight getting loose is increased. It happens when you're focused on something else - which is often the purpose of throwing some light.

If you don't bleed a little bit you're not getting out there and doing things to the limits of your abilities.

Thanks to all who replied. If the ThruNite breaks again I'll know it's not an anomaly and I'll be back here to look up one of the alternatives.

-Noel