Impact Resistance - What Are The Best?

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
I'm not particularly clumsy, but on thinking back I've killed several LED flashlights by dropping them on hard surfaces. So, in anticipation of buying the next one...

Are there particular models known for being impact resistant?

Ideally 18650-based at 600+ lumens.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

-Noel

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best specs I've seen are from Armytek's flashlights. They have impact resistance to 10 meters. Most other manufactures verify them to only 1 meter. Check out the Armytek site for various models to fit your battery type and max output. They tend to be throwy lights, though.

That said, most reputable flashlight brands will handle occasional drops onto a hard surface okay, even if they're only rated at 1 meter.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rayovac's Indestructable lineup for a budget choice. 30 foot drop rated...

They're only about 100 lumens. Nowhere close to the OP's requirements.

IIRC, those cheap "indestructible" type lights achieve their robustness by coating the body in rubber. This limits the amount of heat the light can shed, which means you can't run them very bright. (I'm not sure if Rayovac falls into that category, but the low brightness makes me think that's what they're doing.)

I have a couple of similar lights. Not too bright, but great for kids that are rough on stuff.

ven

Flashaholic
Not trying to be smart,but a decent lanyard................i am of the clumsy variety too :laughing: a wrist strap/lanyard has saved many a light.

$500 light can break if it just falls "that way", $3 one could survive............

Any particular reason for 600+lumens,would it be for a throw biased or flood(maybe both). Reason i ask,if possible edc use the look at the HDS ,solid,highly regarded as a "tough" light and if i had to pick a tough EDC ,thats where i would be looking.

Not 18650 though

Last edited:

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
Any particular reason for 600+lumens,would it be for a throw biased or flood(maybe both).

Just that my EDC was, up to yesterday, a ThruNite TN12 2014. I used it at the 340 lumen level mostly, with only occasional needs to boost to the higher settings. Mostly throw, with some illumination spread. Frankly this light was all I needed save for it breaking. I was disappointed that the innards are so fragile that a drop from pocket level broke it so that it rattles inside. Hasn't anyone heard of encasing electronics in epoxy? Are there any "old school" guys designing new products who remember that solder isn't structural?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I will check them out.

-Noel

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr walkintothelight i think has it nailed for value/build with Armytek:)
Yeah they're tough... but they're also expensive. :(

Ven is right - the best impact protection is to not drop your lights in the first place. So +1 for the wrist strap/lanyard.

Btw: if you drop your light from high enough that you have some time to react, try to kick it with your foot! :huh: (but not too hard). If you manage to hit it such that light drops onto your foot, that'll make for a soft impact which takes the vertical speed out of the drop - after which it'll make a small drop from foot -> ground. If you only manage to hit it with the tip of your shoe, you can convert vertical speed into horizontal speed, which turns the drop into a slide (and perhaps you can kick it in the direction of a better "landing zone"). Shoes are soft compared to concrete, in the case of bare feet your toes will survive as long as it isn't a monster light. If you have fast reflexes, you may even manage to land it on your foot... :bow:

And if there's a specific place where you regularly handle lights + batteries that has a hard surface under it: consider putting some carpet there! Breaking distance of 3 mm. versus 0.3 mm. makes an enormous difference in the forces involved (and thus, resulting damage). Btw. same goes for any place where you regularly handle 'breakable'/costly items.

ven

Flashaholic
Btw: if you drop your light from high enough that you have some time to react, try to kick it with your foot! :huh: (but not too hard).

Yes this has saved a few lights too,good tip,but i recommend not using this method on a balcony :laughing:;)

Other option is to get the light potted,maybe vinh or actually bought that way(HDS iirc are but expensive........well i guess subjective,if used regular then soon can help justify spending that bit more. Many lights i have spent a small fortune on,only to use on rare occasions:eek:)............just a thought and again a slightly expensive one. However ,may work out cheaper long term:whistle:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 for the potted head and dual springs.

I personally don't own any 18650 lights, but have the Malkoff MDC and ArmyTek Prime Pro in AA. Both lights are real beasts in my AA collection, but I'd put my money on the Malkoff in a torture test and for aftermarket warranty and customer support. After a painfully slow China > US delivery - I've realized that I'd rather toss the AT, than deal with a return or warranty repair.

NoelC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks but "don't drop it" is kind of "well duh" advice - of course I would choose not to drop it. I whip the light out when I need it and where I need it, generally quite a few times per day. Straps and carpet are simply not viable options.

I've been carrying lights pretty much all my life and if I use something it's going to take an impact sooner or later. The hardware needs to conform to my needs.

I just reviewed the Armytek offerings... Not a bad match and I'm having trouble seeing how $70 and tough should be considered expensive as compared to $50 and needs to be replaced because of a little knock.

Thanks very much for all your thoughts and the discussion; I'm still open to alternatives.

-Noel

ven

Flashaholic
Noel,if pocket carry and whipped out,look into some kind of attachment from light to maybe belt loop(elasticated or not). Think maybe 12" or so,then whip out,if slips it will be caught before hitting the floor. Only a thought and saves any inconvenience of having around wrist.............sure there are coiled black type(similar to what some police use when removed from holster and may need to drop light quickly for example,and saves loosing/damaging light during a possible arrest-example)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Echoing what others have said: Look for a light that has Fully Potted electronics. Malkoff & Elzetta come to mind.

I would also suggest a light that is easily taken apart, or smarter, has some forum of a Drop In that you can change out. Just in case.

Maybe get a nice lanyard too??

scout24

Flashaholic
You're correct, I read the thread title and just glanced at the body of the post. Carry on... :)

IIRC, those cheap "indestructible" type lights achieve their robustness by coating the body in rubber. This limits the amount of heat the light can shed, which means you can't run them very bright. (I'm not sure if Rayovac falls into that category, but the low brightness makes me think that's what they're doing.)

I have a couple of similar lights. Not too bright, but great for kids that are rough on stuff.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Besides poor heatsinking, another (possibly greater)'factor that limits output on these sort of cheap lights is the fact that they are designed around alkaline batteries. Lights designed around alkaline batteries can't draw much current because alkaline batteries can't produce much current. Therefore, they are dim.

As far as tough lights go, I agree about Armytek. By the way, if you like some of their older lights, Illumination Supply is clearancing a bunch of them for $30. I don't think they are selling any 18650 lights. Only AA and CR123 lights.

D6859

Enlightened
According to Brutal Test video by Voodoo Tactical Olight M22 should be really impact resistant (see around 2min30s). It is throwy light with only 3 levels around 950, 400 and 38lm (by FlashLion), no real low or moonlight.

To test my Armytek Partner A1, I dropped it on the floor from around 4 ft. Now the higher mode doesn't turn on every time. Not sure if I broke it somehow because it works with freshly charged batteries, but seems to loose higher mode faster.

Just that my EDC was, up to yesterday, a ThruNite TN12 2014.

Sorry to hear you lost your EDC. I've dropped my TN12 so many times I can't remember. It once bounced from the tire in my bike and flew high in the air hitting asphhalt but worked after the hit. I would recommend TN12 but I've read that some others have dropped it once and broken it. I hope you get new by the warranty.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much anything made by Peak. They are all potted, which stabilizes the electronics. Not cheap, but tough as nails.
HDS, and Malkoff would be at the top of the list also.

For value, get a Malkoff drop-in and put it in a Solarforce host.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my Fenix PD20 and 47 Quark 123 so many times on concrete I can't count.I also dropped my 47 many times on purpose just to shut up amateurs of store-bought lights. I also dropped both in tanks full of film fixer (basically very concentrated vinegar) and they're still kicking. Reminds me I better charge the batteries for that same job that tortures them so much later this week.

TK40 extreme torture test
(unfortunately the pics are gone :/ Keep reading until he ultimately looses the light. Hint: he had been dragging it from the back of his truck.)

Predator (V1.0) Russian torture test

Would you mind telling us which lights did not survive being dropped?

ven

Flashaholic
Found this,look on banggood

• SKU: SKU157035

This may help if attached to light/trouser etc as an example of what i meant ,would save any drops even if the light is tough,would help prevent dings etc etc