In need of a new 2XAA Light for Work...???

wjv

Enlightened
I'm leaning towards the Archer

I would NOT choose the Archer as a work light for one simple reason. That is, the mode spacing. Going from 75 lumen to 450 with nothing in between. Too much light can make a job just as difficult as too little light. (too much glare back in your face)

I'd try and find something that has better spacing of modes so you can select the lighting level to match the task.

Just my $0.03!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would NOT choose the Archer as a work light for one simple reason. That is, the mode spacing. Going from 75 lumen to 450 with nothing in between. Too much light can make a job just as difficult as too little light. (too much glare back in your face)

I'd try and find something that has better spacing of modes so you can select the lighting level to match the task.

Just my $0.03!

I don't mind 6x mode spacing.... actually my favorite is 10x mode spacing (0.3,3,30,300). Thrunite's typical 300x mode spacing gap between FF and L drives me nuts though... that's where I spend most of my runtime (but admittedly, I am one of the rare low lumen/runtime enthusiast).

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Well crap!!!,...That's a great point wjv!,.. Since I'm using the LightStar 220 now and it's "200'ish" LM,.. I would be nice to have the "Med" level around 175-225'ish,.. ... Uhhhhggg!!! I was just about to pull the Trigger on the Archer today!

The Med. on the Fenix is 160,.. The Eagletac is in the 180'ish range,..

The Eagletac is rising to the top of the list right now.... but I still may get an Archer just to try it out :)

Hmmm...

wjv

Enlightened
I have both Fenix and EagleTac lights. Can't go wrong with either.

Just pick the modes and the UI that will work best for you.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Yeah it's hard for me to recommend the Archer now at $46...as much as a TN12 which I do like a good bit.

I just looked at the Eagletac D25A2 again, and I remember why I went against it even though having the nice option of 3 different emitters. The mode spacing on the XM-L2 for example is about 1-30-300-450. 1 to 30 I don't mind and like 30 lumens as a general purpose mode, but I really like something between 110-150 lumens as an intermediate before jumping to 300+. And 300 to 450 isn't much of a discernible difference.

Now the Archer does not do this, I know. It's more like ML-20-85-470, but it appealed to me more than the more drastic spacing from low to really high of the Eagletac. It's more of a general purpose house light and power outage light for me so the lower modes I just view as battery savers with a nice turbo option.

recDNA

Flashaholic
You guys are basically arguing my belief that magnetic infinite adjustment is the best ui. Mode spacing is whatever you want it to be. Always the correct brightness for the task at hand. I don't know any moderately priced 2 X AA lights that offer it.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are basically arguing my belief that magnetic infinite adjustment is the best ui. Mode spacing is whatever you want it to be. Always the correct brightness for the task at hand. I don't know any moderately priced 2 X AA lights that offer it.

V11R with 4x AA adaptors ;). However, it's not so good on low lumen efficiency - mine consumes more power at its lowest output (~0.001 lms), then my good clickies at 4 lms.

Then again, if you like long runs on a hundred or two lumens, then the difference becomes immaterial.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nitecore ifd2 would have been ideal ! There are still some out there if ya look, try cpfmall too

recDNA

Flashaholic
V11R with 4x AA adaptors ;). However, it's not so good on low lumen efficiency - mine consumes more power at its lowest output (~0.001 lms), then my good clickies at 4 lms.

Then again, if you like long runs on a hundred or two lumens, then the difference becomes immaterial.
The adapters would cost more than the v11r! A real 2 x AA option would be better. The correct lumen level for the task is more important to me than efficiency at a level I almost never use.