Introducing the SPY 007 XM-L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice i'd like to take 1 of XM-L.
Any good news about the Tri-V2?
Sion

The parts for the Tri-V2 are all done except a single small spot shield. It is easy to make. I have been buried in the XM-L for the past few weeks and am anxious to switch to the Tri-V2 as soon as the sale is over. I do not have that many XM-L lights put together so the shipping will not take me long.

I have not started the XM-L SW GG lights either, they will only take a few days if all goes well. If you want a SW GG light during the sale, I will have you post that you want one and then PP me. Then I will start those custom SW GG lights.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sale will be tomorrow at noon Eastern time.

Later this evening I will post about the details of this light. What it can do and how to get the most out of it etc.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent news....

How are the SW GG ones coming along?

The SW GG lights are a prepaid custom item only. They will be for sale along side of the machine finished ones tomorrow. However, they are not ready to ship. They are not all machined, blasted and tumbled. I will be building them all in one lot and shipping them all after they are finished. It will be a couple weeks yet, I do not think they will be ready before the holidays but I am not sure.

If you want a SW GG 007 XM-L or XP-G just post in the sales thread tomorrow and you will be added to the lot. If you have already requested one of these please post again in the thread or email me about it so I know you are interested.

Cheers
Dave

CMAG

Enlightened
will there be a link from this thread to the sale thread.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SPY 007 XM-L is ready for release. The sale thread will be posted Thursday.

I have been trying to find a way to sum up this light and the only thing that has come to mind is EDC power.

The XM-L emitter at 3000mA puts out a lot of light. The bright white emitter has a color temp of 6000K. The neutral white emitter has a color temp of 5000K. I have some warm white emitters at 4000K and 3000K but they are like an old incan running on low batteries. Not really the point of this light. Well I say that but I bet someone will not agree.

This spy runs so hot on high (3000mA) that you can instantly feel the heat coming out the front of it when you turn it on. It is like a flame thrower. :grin2: And it takes you by surprise given its size.

The XM-L is the new king of the 007's but, the 007 XP-G is still available in my product lineup and currently is in stock. The 007 XP-G is also still the king for you white wall hunters because the XM-L has a tendency to throw off all kinds of colors in its beam. This is especially true given the small reflector in the tiny SPY light. And it makes no difference what bin the emitter is or what color temp you pick, that is just the nature of the beast. But what the new 007 XM-L does not have for white wall hunters it makes up for in pure blinding light. I am constantly amazed when I can light my entire front yard with this EDC size light.

When you get this SPY it will have a set of primary Surefire CR-123 batteries with it. I recommend Surefire batteries for my lights; they are reliable and have a lot of energy in them. Pop those in the light and it will be ready to use. With primary batteries and the light set at factory calibration, the full power setting will put 1000mA to the emitter. With a fresh set of primary bats it is possible to program the light to higher levels but I did not explore those limits.

Now, if you want to see what this light can really do you will need a set of IMR rechargeable batteries (and a suitable battery charger). Fully charged IMR RCR-123 batteries (only the high power version) will release up to the full 3000mA of power in this SPY. You will need to reprogram the light to get to this power level. And you will need to keep track of what setting the light is on as you switch back and forth between primary and rechargeable batteries (see the configuration slots in the owner's manual).

Now what should I say about this light after you get it running at 3000mA? Well, it will get hot fast. You will need to keep it in your hand and be mindful of just how hot it is getting. The head is where you will feel the heat. Do not let it get too hot to hold. Do not give this light to your spouse to use to clean out under the sink. Do not give it to your kid to take camping or play with unattended. This is way past a toy and you need to use a little extra care in its use. I think I said before but I will say it again that if the light is turned on high and left to run unattended that it will take care of itself and automatically power back. It starts cutting back at about 45 seconds and finishes just before one minute. This is not however what I recommend. Keep it in your hand and cut it back yourself after 15 to 30 seconds and stay aware of its heating. If you are not up for this then leave it at 1000mA or only bump it to 2000mA. It is still super bright at 2000mA. :p

As you all know even the final testing phase took a long time. I had to make several adjustments to the code for this beast to be able to handle the power that was flowing through it. Please know that this is the bleeding edge of technology as they say and we will have to see how it plays out. But, I am really happy with how it is working, sorry it took so long. This is going to be fun to see what you all think of the light. I am excited to finally get this out the door.

I will post the sale Thursday and some of the lights will be able to ship Thursday as well.

Cheers
Dave

easilyled

Flashaholic
I know many custom builders hate any binning questions and therefore consider me well and truly spanked in advance for asking, but is the highest flux bin for the cool-white version, an XM-L U2?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know many custom builders hate any binning questions and therefore consider me well and truly spanked in advance for asking, but is the highest flux bin for the cool-white version, an XM-L U2?
It is not. There are no good color bins available in that bin and I think that is too important. And the one U2 I did test on my meter did not show up as brighter. These lights are bright if they are nothing else. :)

Cheers
Dave

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, I get back from lunch and my new SPY is waiting on my desk. This is the fastest delivery of any SPY to me so far. Need to order all my lights just before Christmas and with a weekend in thrown in too.
First impressions are GREAT.
It is sunny today, with the sun shining in on my office, so no real place to test it, but ender my desk. First thing I did was compare it to my XPG Cool Version. Hard to tell, but I do like the tint, and it appears to be wikked bright. (I set max to 3,000 already).
Now to sneak into the only room where I can get darkness ( the bathroom), and lock everyone else out, so I can see what she can do.
Will be dark by the time I get home, so really looking forward for tonight too.

bf1

Enlightened
Dave,
Received my XML today. Magnificent!!!!!!
All the best,
Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.