Introducing two new Fenix Offerings: LD12 and LD22

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The basic concept is really more of a tactical decision.

People who do not need a tactical light will find this arrangement incomprehensible, as they will not see any way in which it could be an advantage.

People who want the tail switch to be momentary AND to not change the brightness or turn it on/off even, WANT there to be a separate way to turn the light on/off and/or change the modes.

This is primarily because in a tactical situation, say where you want the light to go off the instant you think you might be aimed at and you'll be diving for cover...you don't want to have to cycle through modes, twist the head, etc, to get the darn thing OFF.

You want to just let go of the momentary button, and dive for cover.

If you are not using the light in that scenario, then needing that kind of secondary on/off and mode change UI will not be relevant....OR desirable.

So why is the flashlight company's fault that someone in that situation doesn't realize that a multimode light that changes modes via the tail-switch is a bad idea? Why should someone in that situation, like a cop, etc. buy a light that changes mode via the tail switch and then expect it to perform well in that kind of a situation? I'd say that's user error, not a design flaw.

Further, in that situation, why is a side switch that only changes modes more desirable? Wouldn't someone in a situation like that be more likely to be wearing protective gloves, or "tactical" gloves? How is pressing a switch that's flush with the side of the light while wearing gloves like that going to be easier than turning the bezel of the light half a turn?

I don't need a tactical light, and the arrangement of this light doesn't make sense to me, but at the same time, I fail to see how what you're saying is an improvement or advantage in such a situation for someone who does need a tactical light. Not only that, but the LD's are not Fenix's tactical models, the TK's are supposed to be. Sorry, but it just doesn't add up.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a seperate side switch for mode changes is a step forward. I much prefer lights which do not rely on the same action to both switch on and off and to change output levels. However, I do not like the fact these still use SMO reflectors as donut holes have been reported in the last batches of the LD10/20 and also the fact that the side switch seems to have added a noticable amount of length..

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a seperate side switch for mode changes is a step forward. I much prefer lights which do not rely on the same action to both switch on and off and to change output levels. However, I do not like the fact these still use SMO reflectors as donut holes have been reported in the last batches of the LD10/20 and also the fact that the side switch seems to have added a noticable amount of length..
I can see a value in having a separate mode switch and power switch, but putting them in different locations still doesn't make sense to me. Why not just put them next to each other instead, like on most of the other new Fenix models? These are hardly tactical models, so confusing the two switches is hardly going to create a life of death situation for most people who are going to buy one.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. Maybe it was a space issue, they couldn't really fit them both on the tailcap as they'd be too small then, and the body tube isn't really thick enough to accomodate two switches.

I think side clickies are often good for an underhand, non-tactical grip, but more so on larger lights. Perhaps a single switch cover/electronic rectangular switch with the left half for mode changes and right half for on and off would've been the best design.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
But it couldn't have been true momentary if they stuck with the old 'scroll menu' interface as you would've ended up going through the modes as you tried to have it on momentary.

What they've done with the side switch is effectively to allow users momentary on and mode memory without the risk of skipping through the modes accidentally.

What I don't get though is why memory is so poorly implemented on most lights, my Ultrafire P60 Drop-in and Skyray '3800' triple XM-L are the only two with good, reliable and usable memory using a scroll through modes interface. They memorise what you were on last if the light has been off more than 200ms or some incredibly short time like that, perfect for a reverse clicky. Most other memory lights have ridicululously long times before their memory kicks in. Otherwise you have to look at alternative ways of changing modes to keep a momentary function, this is what Fenix seems to have done here.

buds224

Enlightened
But it couldn't have been true momentary if they stuck with the old 'scroll menu' interface as you would've ended up going through the modes as you tried to have it on momentary.

What they've done with the side switch is effectively to allow users momentary on and mode memory without the risk of skipping through the modes accidentally.

What I don't get though is why memory is so poorly implemented on most lights, my Ultrafire P60 Drop-in and Skyray '3800' triple XM-L are the only two with good, reliable and usable memory using a scroll through modes interface. They memorise what you were on last if the light has been off more than 200ms or some incredibly short time like that, perfect for a reverse clicky. Most other memory lights have ridicululously long times before their memory kicks in. Otherwise you have to look at alternative ways of changing modes to keep a momentary function, this is what Fenix seems to have done here.

I have to agree with you. My PC10 does exactly as you described. It does have momentary on, but I do accidentally scroll to the next mode sometimes. But it is possible. I like Klarus dual switches on the rear, although the LD20/LD22 are very thin lights, may not be possible in this case.

Rumple4skin

Newly Enlightened
I think its just a case of Horses for different courses , I imagine Fenix would of sought market research before this upgrade and I read in their hype about use for hikers. Hmmm I wonder if the hiker wore gloves what he thought of that tiny switch on the side . And I do agree with one post the reflector does look a slight shallower to incorporate the switch which would mean it have reduced throw. For me I like to look towards the positive and hope that my distributor will discount his current stock of LD 10 and 20's which have proven to be a fine horse for my course. (wink)

My Wife thinks a flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.

Flashaholic_71

Newly Enlightened
My fenix ld22 got in yesterday in the mail. I pulled it out of the box and i noticed the head of the torch like something would rattle inside. I went and got 2 new AA lithium batt and well long story short, I only get the torch to go into : Low after its in low mode , I need to click side botton twice too get next level witch i think its high cause its preatty high and then turbo , goes into strobe and sos. cant seem to get it too go into medium... I will be contacting fenix for a exchange because i dont think that this is normal.
Anyone else experience this with there ld22?

UPDATE:
Changed the batteries and now all modes are working fine! The only problem i still find is that the head of the flashlight something rattles inside like a maraca... anyone else having this issue with their LD22?

Will be contacting fenix:

Last edited:

larcal

Newly Enlightened
I've used both and prefer the ld20 because though the led is not as advanced as ld22 the user index is better. Thing is, that side switch is a pita to find, and not just in the dark. Even with bare hand and gloves make it worse. so there you are traipsin along in some lowish mode and suddenly need turbo and you're just fumbling and bumbling. Even worse, it could be a security issue and you get eaten.

if you are doing some kind of work where you need to repetatively turn it on to look at something and the lowest mode is usually not enough then the ld22 can be an advantage, because of memory mode. So maybe you just allways turn it on in level three for instance. But I find low enough usually and if not just turn bezel for turbo. that way, when turn it on next time I don't have to return it to low. I.e, it's a huge advantage to be sure what mode you are turning it on in, and you'll save on batteries, rechargable or not. With the 22 you'll just end up leaving it in 2 or 3 rather then fumble for that side switch, and if you need turbo suddenly, well, to bad, you don't get it.

On a bicycle the 22 can be better, as harder to change modes with subtle end cap presses with the 20 on a moving platform

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody tried legoing the old LD10 and LD20 heads to the LD12 or LD22 bodies? I know some people tried using the LD12/22 forward clicky on the LD10 and LD20 but did not work because it could not be screwed to the end.
I just tried legoing the heads of the Nitecore MT2A/MT1A with the Fenix LD10/LD20 and it worked flawlessly as they have the same threads.

Latest posts