Is it possible to de-dome SST & not to suffer Lumen Loss?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael, may be you can show us some more details on your test?
maybe it's the dome that prevent light from penetrating back to the led?
It it only works for de-domed CBT-90, then it won't work for domed R2?
The others are correct that you need a spherical reflector. I can make these myself but I can't sell them unless I pay the licensing fee. I'm sure there must be some way to DIY a crude version of the collar but that is the least of my worries right now. Just remember that you want a half sphere with the end cut off. Mirror it and call it a day.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone noticed any change in lifespan of dedomed leds????
i have 2 led mr16 that use 3x xre, on both bulbs one xr-e has lost its dome, you would never tell something is different about 1 led when light is on, it is only when off, you could see.
if i use it like that (it wont be on 24\7) will dedomed led die a lot sooner than domed ones???? i'm not too concerned with it loosing a bit of output overtime, also the leds are not driven hard.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone noticed any change in lifespan of dedomed leds????
i have 2 led mr16 that use 3x xre, on both bulbs one xr-e has lost its dome, you would never tell something is different about 1 led when light is on, it is only when off, you could see.
if i use it like that (it wont be on 24\7) will dedomed led die a lot sooner than domed ones???? i'm not too concerned with it loosing a bit of output overtime, also the leds are not driven hard.
Don't worry about it. It undoubtedly reduces the life some but not enough to worry about.