Is the NEW Surefire L5 at 6.1" be too long for EDC?

farmall

Enlightened
I agree that it will be great for pack carry. For me it would be too much for pocket carry.

ryan_kalani

Newly Enlightened
Does this light offer any type of shock isolation, making it more resistant to malfunction while mounted on a weapon?

Size15's

Flashaholic
ryan_kalani said:
Does this light offer any type of shock isolation, making it more resistant to malfunction while mounted on a weapon?
The L5 is not a WeaponLight. That being said, there is no incandescently filament to damage and given that SureFire specifically intend the new KX5 bezel to replace the Z32 shock isolated incandescent bezel, I am sure it will be up to the task.

The difference between the flashlight (6P/L5/G3 etc) and the WeaponLights is that the WeaponLights are so designed as to physically prevent the batteries from slamming into the Lamp Assembly under recoil. This is very important on higher recoil firearms but arguably less of a concern on an M4 and many, many people mount normal G2's on their M4's for their time in theatre with excellent results.

Gordov2

Enlightened
Doesn't the new 2007 SF catalog indicate that the NEW L5 can endure "combat" conditions (even calling it a "combatlight")? Quoting from the SF 2007 catalog:

"...Carry the high-performance L5 LED CombatLight into
your next battle. Even if you're only waging war on a
dark hiking trail as the ultimate weekend warrior."

The above quote is on the same page with a photo of plain-clothed, tactical folks doing a non-stacked entry into a hallway.

carrot

Flashaholic
A CombatLight, to my knowledge is not a WeaponLight.

Size15's, so Surefire's intention is to eventually discontinue the M2 shock isolation head and replace it with the KX5? I am unclear about what the Z52 model number refers to.

todo

Newly Enlightened
Gordov2 said:
Do you think the new Surefire L5 (with 120 lumens), at 6.1 inches long be too big for EDC? What are your thoughts???

Click here for a photo of a SureFire L5

Oh the L5 is cool indeed, but if your looking for a light to EDC there is only one choice in my mind. The L0Dce, at 2 3/4 inch and a pocket clip for your shirt its very hard to beat. Not to mention with lithium 10440's its gonna be as bright, plus other modes. Oh ya the L2dce got it, to big for edc, unless you like it on your belt. My L0Dce is getting used 10 times more than any of my other lights, cause its allways there.

Size15's

Flashaholic
carrot said:
A CombatLight, to my knowledge is not a WeaponLight.
That is correct
A WeaponLight is so designed as to live a full and eventful life on an active weapon.
A CombatLight, especially those with SureFire's CombatGrip are so designed as to live a full and eventful life as an active operator's so-called "tactical" light.

carrot said:
Size15's, so Surefire's intention is to eventually discontinue the M2 shock isolation head and replace it with the KX5? I am unclear about what the Z52 model number refers to.
I apologise if I have given this impression. There is NO reason to assume this at all.
SureFire is replacing the KL5 with the KX5 on the L5.
The M2 bezel has been updated also (it's been on a diet!).

The Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel is found on Classic SureFire WeaponLights such as shotgun and MP5 forend WeaponLights as well as handgun and universal WeaponLights.
PK nicely demonstrates for us:
DSCN0651.JPG

Notice how there isn't much clearance between the barrel and the light - It is vital that any replacement bezel gets no closer to the barrel and so the new KX5 has been specifically designed not to.
Another photo of the model 628 WeaponLight here shows it well.

Here is a photo I took of a couple Z32's on lights you may know:
P69.jpg

Hope this clears things up?

Al :)

Gordov2

Enlightened
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the maximum lumen output on the LOD-CE 50 lumens max?

From the Fenix Store Website:
"• Five output types: 20 Lumens(3.5hrs) -> 7.5 Lumens(8.5hrs) -> 50 Lumens (1hrs) ->Strobe -> SOS"

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the maximum lumen output on the LOD-CE 50 lumens max?

From the Fenix Store Website:
"• Five output types: 20 Lumens(3.5hrs) -> 7.5 Lumens(8.5hrs) -> 50 Lumens (1hrs) ->Strobe -> SOS"
Those specs are for Alkaline or NiMH AAA. If one used a 10440 it is in excess of 100 lumens. That being said, it is not recommened by Fenix or me. The two main problems as I see it are it gets hot fast on high and 10440 are not protected and the chance of overdischarge is high. The light will drain a NiMH to 1.0V.

Gordov2

Enlightened
Steve, what about for the L2D-CE. What batteries would be the best to maximise lumens and be safe at the same time?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not too big unless you are trying to look like you do not have a flashlight. The extra size could even come in handy. Read the small amount text and look at the photo at this link to see what I mean. http://yawara.com/Yawast3.html

Gordov2

Enlightened
M I K said:
I would think you would be much happier with a U2. Same output in a shorter light with a bezel down clip which works great for EDC carry for me.

JMHO Good Luck.

Regarding the above quote, according to the new SF 2007 catalog, the U2 is 6.0 inches long and the Bezel is 1.47 inches in diameter. Whereas the new L5 is 6.1 inches long with 1.47 inch bezel. So those two lights are essentially the same size, but the L5 has 120 lumes instead of the U2's 100. Also, the L5 has the Rogers grip ring witch is a mandatory item for me in an EDC light.

So do you guys think the U2 is suitable for EDC? If so, wouldn't the NEW, 2007 L5 also be suitable for EDC?

Thoughts?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
The current KL5 bezel diameter is the same as the M2/K2/U2/8AX/8NX/L7 at 1.47" where as the new KX5 bezel is more like the Z32 at 1.37" so that's 2.5mm or 7% smaller in diameter.

Al
The new KX5 bezel dimensions were not available when the SureFire 2007 Catalogs had to go to press in time for SHOT Show 2007.

In my personal opinion the clip design (and it being bezel-down) of the U2/K2 is more suitable for pocketclipping compared to the L5 clip.
That said, I find the U2 bezel to be both too long and too fat for easy pocketclipped EDC. The shorter K2 bezel is the same diameter but is much more pocket-friendly. Although the L2 is quite long, it is pretty thin which also makes it much more pocket-friendly.
I believe the new L5 will be more EDC'able than the U2 because although it is quite long, it is not as fat as the likes of the U2 and this does make a difference.

Al

Gordov2

Enlightened
Thanks AL!

When I spoke to Surefire they indicated that the street date for the NEW L5 would be June at the earliest. Have you or anyone heard anything different?

In addition, as it relates to EDC, I have decided to go with a custom-made FIST set-up that includes an inside the waistband, 2-slot magazine holster, with the second slot being custom fitted for my light. In this way, I'll be able to carry a back-up magazine and my light.

For other times, I have decided to go with John Willis' custom-made light holder for my SF M3-CB.

With these two rigs, I think I'll have the best of both worlds.

What do you think?