Is the NEW Surefire L5 at 6.1" be too long for EDC?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Gordov2 said:
When I spoke to Surefire they indicated that the street date for the NEW L5 would be June at the earliest. Have you or anyone heard anything different?
I made the choice long ago not to concern myself with release dates.
I've heard "June 2007" as well. I would prefer to use "expected summer 2007" if I had to suggest a release date...

Al

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
What about the stated runtime on the new L5? It say 4,5h, but how long is with full power? Or is it regulated? Hopfully its more than one hour then decreasing for the remaining...
The one out now has 3 hours and one at full power.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I understanding the new L5 will be more like 90 minutes although I prefer to see a number of output/runtime charts made by various end-users determine the runtime figures.

Chawarito

Newly Enlightened
I heard from some users that the figures come out to only an hour just like how the U2 comes out to about 50 minutes insted of an hour of good output (i have read and tested it with a U2 myself). i would like to see runtime graphs of the L5 also, i have seen many runtime graphts of the U2 and all of the levels of brightness except for the higest has nearly perfect regulation. the brightest setting does however decline very slightly before it drops out of regulation.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I was thinking of LP M1 with its over four hours runtime to 50%, but didnt think of what battery was used with that runtime... It have 1 hour and 21 min with two CR123, so 1,5 hours seems right maybe. I dont know much and we will see, but not soon enough... :)

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the resurrection but just had to chime in. I have a L5 that I EDC, have done so for the past year and a half. It was modded by Milky with 3 MC-E's. Eye-searing brightness, has a custom UI I designed with 4 brightness levels (including a sub-1 lumen extra low) and strobe, instantly accessible to any level without having to cycle through. Love it! And it's in a Kazu leather belt clip case (he used to make leather custom cases a while ago). People don't seem to think it's odd, although one or two people have thought it was a firearm.

It's really great, and the 18650 makes it very feasible as a last-ditch, emergency light.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't technically have an "L5", I have several C2's and both generations of KL5's. While I prefer the tint of the older one, I prefer the KL5A as it is a bit brighter, has better runtime, better performance with the B65, AND, and little known difference, the KL5A has the domed glass lens (ala U2), as opposed to the flat lens on the KL5.