Is the surefire 6p original worth buying?

Mark-60

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surfire 6P with a Malkoff Bulb

I've been EDC'ing my 6P for about 15 years. I just got around to putting a SF clicky switch and a SF LED head on it. It's still my EDC and I love the dang thing.

I have other SF lights, but I'll *never part with my 6P.

*I did just order an LX2 though, soooo, that could change.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I think they are worth buying. I also wish that surefire was not discontinuing them. Stock I think they are good lights, there are better lights out there. I used a stock 6P during building inspections for years. Now I like it as a host for all the drop-ins.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I use 6/9P, C2/3, and Z2/3 bodies for my highest reliablilty applications. I standardized on the black so I have only one set of spare parts; bezel with lens and tailcap. I select a Malkoff dropin with the appropriate output level depending on what I feel is necessary. I have a broad selection, I've been buying them for a while because I prefer warmer tints than Surefire uses. A few of examples; C2 with M60WL in my cars, 9P with M61WLL in my BOBs (Bug Out Bag), C3 with M60W in my boat, 6Ps with M61WLL for power outage lighting, and Z3 with M91W on my nightstand. I bought my first Surefire long before high output LEDs were available and I expect that these lights will work long after I'm gone. Technology marches on but I'm quite comfortable with what I've got and haven't seen a compelling reason to change.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very valuable posts in this thread about 6P. The bad fact in this matter is that Surefire discontinued it as well as other incan lights(if I am right also Z and G series), and consequently these hosts will soon not be available.

Regards, Patric

AND: the good fact is that I recently acquired(on the way to me) my second black 6P, my first G3, C2 and Z2. :)
Now I just need to make the pleasant decision of what LED-dropins they will be armed with!
I here my wallet scream: You promised to stop this crazy addiction! :whistle:

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes!

If you are patient and quick you can get one cheap on the Marketplace. I'm taking one with me for the New Year's Eve partying I will be attending. It'll be in my jacket pocket.

kelmo

Kestrel

Flashaholic

In the context of CPF, 6P's are best thought of as a platform. You get the host (tailored to your needs/preferences), then add/change the drop in over time. This is distinctly different from the 'complete light' approach where you change out the entire light every few years.
Heck, after watching CPF/MP a lot, I've come to the conclusion that lots of folks change out their entire lights every few months, lol. ;)

speedsix, FWIW my very first 'open' SureFire was a C3, ~3 years ago or so. After taking out its incan P90 LA, I have used the following LED dropins in it, most of the sequence being substantial upgrades:
  • Malkoff M30
  • Malkoff M60
  • Solarforce 'R2' (relatively briefly)
  • Moddoo XP-G Triple V3
  • Moddoo XP-G Triple V3.10
  • And soon, a Malkoff M91N (not really an upgrade, just that the Triple is going to another host)
So the ease of upgrades and extensive aftermarket support is really what sets these fine hosts (the P-C-Z series) apart from many other flashlight lines out there.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well put Kestrel!

To to OP, the stock P60 puts out a gorgeous beam.

BIGLOU

Enlightened

I like the thread title change Surfire 6P thought it was a new flashlight for night surfing. LOL. Going back to the OG thread a 6P it is worth getting especially the original original 6P. I have rescued 3 of them and bored out one. These are definately worth buying the original 6P (round bezel head, no flats on body, 6P Laser Products Fountain Vally CA on tailcap), 6P incan. hex bezel, 6P P60L, the the new one with the KX4. I just picked up two Incan. 6Ps that at a Boy Scout Store that had them for $24 bucks it was stupid for me not to got get these which are going to get bored and Nailbenders put in them. Like others mentioned with all the P60 based drop-in available and the new SF not being able to be legoed these are true classics.

Surefire with Malkoff Bulb FTW
DSC02987.jpg

greentimber

Newly Enlightened
Definitely, though I prefer the LED version. They're more $$, but if you shop around you can get them for a comparable price. I think I paid $70 for my last one.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have 2 original shape 6P's, two that I de-anodized and one that I bored with my cordless drill... that's five... last night I ordered Gun Metal using LAPG discount and it ended up being $52... rather nice price... Planing no serious mods on it, just to drop M61, Xeno Stainless Steel bezel and OR McClicky in the tailcap... I would say it's worth it for sure... Best bang for buck ??? Not even close... so what... :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
nailbender is the #1 to choose ...

I must assume you don't own the above combination of a 6P & Malkoff module? Sometimes it's not possible to judge something until you actually own and use it! Still, everyone's different...Happy Christmas!
+ all those Malkoff cheers posts without further notice to nailbender here ...

... I am still am totally convinced, that the combination "any host" + nailbender led insert is the one any other combination should try to stand
(and will not succeed)
;)

(as one can choose the led to be used, the tint of this led, the UI and the power stage(s), all for less than any other high quality insert)

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened
The 6P Original is definitively worth buying because of this:

SureFire website: said:
Modularity
A fundamental benefit for users of SureFire illumination tools is modularity. This means that many components can be used on different product models, and that certain product models can be reconfigured with available accessories to meet changing needs.

There are massive amount modular components available for the 6P that made it future-proof. Just take a look at the CPF's Custom & Modified Flashlights - Buy/Sell/Trade thread. People were running XML in the 6P long before the release of the Fury.

It very unfortunate that SureFire is moving away from their own fundamental philosophy that has made their flashlights superior. However, you will see very good deal on discontinued 6P while supply last :)

Willie

Newly Enlightened
I may get flamed for this, but I don't own either of the below-mentioned brands, so it's a completely innocent question.

If you are using a host to create your light why not get a Solarforce instead of Surefire?

predator86

Newly Enlightened

I like the thread title change Surfire 6P thought it was a new flashlight for night surfing. LOL. Going back to the OG thread a 6P it is worth getting especially the original original 6P. I have rescued 3 of them and bored out one. These are definately worth buying the original 6P (round bezel head, no flats on body, 6P Laser Products Fountain Vally CA on tailcap), 6P incan. hex bezel, 6P P60L, the the new one with the KX4. I just picked up two Incan. 6Ps that at a Boy Scout Store that had them for $24 bucks it was stupid for me not to got get these which are going to get bored and Nailbenders put in them. Like others mentioned with all the P60 based drop-in available and the new SF not being able to be legoed these are true classics.

Surefire with Malkoff Bulb FTW
DSC02987.jpg

Where did you get that pocket clip?

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Sorry I always describe my flashlight mods but forgot this time. It's a 18650'd SF 6P with a Malkoff M60, Xeno SS flat bezel ring and a Moddoo SS thin run clip sandwiched on the two piece style SF Z 59 clicky. I think they are available at Oveready but not sure if they in stock called HDS/Z59 clip they come in black too.

DM51

Flashaholic
I may get flamed for this, but I don't own either of the below-mentioned brands, so it's a completely innocent question.

If you are using a host to create your light why not get a Solarforce instead of Surefire?
You won't get flamed for it; you'll just be told that your question is off topic.

There are plenty of Solarforce threads where you could post that question. This isn't the right place for it.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends on your usage, most people(i guess) would only treat 6P's P60 as last resort of light source due to
Low output
Low efficiency
No regulation
But its great for backup cuz
Unaffected by EMP
An ideal ohmic component, no extra circuits, reliable
Almost remains good for centuries unlike led which the fluorescence powder degrades over time

If you would like to get a stiff grip, i suggest C2 with clip and rubber grip
Allows a stiff hold even with gloves on hands, 6P is a round body with notches only which may feel a bit slippery when wetted

No doubt you should get a LED drop-in
Actually i dont really spend much on it
Drop-ins below $15 are fine for me
Normally they are nothing special, reflector+brass base+driver+led
Higher price isnt necessary unless it is hand-crafted to purpose, like maxing throw