Is there a turbo/bigger head for the minimag?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought a turbo head of some sort for the mini mag would be nice. I once tested a 30mm optic on a mini mag with a sandwich, and it gave a really throwing beam. Has any large head been made for the MiniMag?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Well, there's this one :)

turbomm10.jpg

It's a C cell mag head on a minimag with a madmax plus. The led is a 3 watt luxeon. The adapter was made from a delrin. The tail (cam) of the reflector was cut off right at the end of the reflector. There's a thread about it somewhere.

And, of course, the beam shot... about 25 feet.

turbomm8.jpg

Someone else did a similar one recently.

Daniel

pmath

Newly Enlightened
Would love to see how people have made these and what optics to use! Not necessarily Mags but with a view to bicyle night riding!

Peter

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, what gadget_lover said. I found C cell Mags at RadioShack. A MiniMag will drop right in and makes one heck of a beam! Who says that LED lights can't throw? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

micromag_C_head_with_guts_and_ucl.jpg

micromag_and_big_reflector_and_knoll.jpg

micromag_sniper.jpg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Funny, I have a palm tree shot with my minimag turbo head too. The palm tree is 300 feet from my house. The top one is just for reference. Both shots are with the same camera settings.

turbomm11.jpg

turbomm12.jpg

Daniel

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Daniel, you're the guy with the lathe. Surely you can come with something more aesthetic than a C head on a mini Mag. How about something half way between C head and a mini Mag head.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yikes gadget, that really is a turbohead! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

a long while ago i made a turbohead utilizing a pr reflector. great beam and a decent form factor.
i don't think i took any pictures though...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Thanks Guys. I thought it was a fun project. I did it mainly to experiment with threading Delrin (the white plastic) to mate with the existing Mag threads. I'd never done that before.

Hey Jim! I thought it was rather nicely blended! I even matched the pewter minimag with the pewter C cell mag head. I painted the plastic silver after the picture was taken. Making a nicely curved head like the Mag by hand on a lathe is not too hard. Making it exactly the same curve every time is very difficult. The mag reflector is hard to beat with a 3 watt luxeon.

Daniel

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting to see that other people would be interested ina MiniMag with larger reflector as well.

Here is my design of a middle part, that is using a MiniMag body, and a Mag2D bezel, together with a carclo 2 degree narrow beam optic and a Badboy sandwich. This optic is not as powerfull as the stock Mag optics, but it is better then anything else, and you can't beat the thickness of I think 10mm. I love tight and very focused beam the carclo produces - the hotspot is 3 times brighter then the stock MiniMag reflector.

MagAAtoD.jpg

In this link I originally asked for details how to do the threading to realize this design - there are some solutions there.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=935003&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post937947

My problem however is I have absolutely no time to do it, work picked up so much that I am swamped and will be in the future.

So if anybody is interested in the design (emachineshop.com data format) let me know. Also this thread here contains information about how to do the threading
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=935003&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post937947
Of course no guarantee for anything. But I think it's a good basis to start out with - design needs some minor tweaking, and defenitely re-measuring to see whether I got it all right, since it is only a draft. However after that is done, add the threading, and it should be fine. So if you have the time and means to do it, let me know.

My only condition is that when you do it that you have a part produced for me as well (I pay for the costs of my part). To whoever decides to do it, I would even throw in a Carclo2 degree optic for this person. If you decided to do a larger batch, someone offered several carclos to me for a reduced price.... let me know and I'll put you in touch.

If anyone is interested send me your email address and I'll mail you the emachineshop.com data file.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my comparison 3W & Mag2D reflector with a 3W & carclo was that the hotspots had the same brightness, however the hotspot of the Mag2D was larger (still very focused). When shining at objects far away the Mag2D would light them up better, but both covered about the same distance. So in the above picture it would probably look as bright but the hotspot would be smaller.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadget,

Sorry for the crack. Check the time of my post - I was pretty much out of it by then.

Your conversion is, indeed, a work of art. Very nice transition from body to head.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just remembered I posted this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Gadget_lover, PM sent.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there.... actually should be working......

Anyway here is the comparison. Now in real the beam of the Carclo is more square - and looks smaller then the Mag. Also I used my heavily scratched carclo 2 degree optic (my testing version). Nonscratched it would be probably a bit brighter and less sidespill. Didnt feel like unpacking the non scratched ones I have.

optics.jpg

JimH Thanks - I think with the 2D bezel and the Mag AA this light will look very very nice. I have the dark silver versions of the MiniMag and Mag2D - I think this would be a very pretty light and probably looks like it would be stock...

So if anyone wants the design... all you need to do is remeasure everything to be sure. Click to order at emachineshop. Then have the threading done.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Jim, No offense taken. Did I forget to sprinkle smilies????
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif There. That's enough for both posts.

I just measured the adapter I made, and realized it is a D cell head, not a C cell. The C cell head has the same reflector, but a narrower opening where the head meets the body.

Daniel

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel's (gadget lover) turbo head is dang annoying if you are trying to beat it for throw with anything normal size. Trust me, I have tried, and of course, will continue.

Getting sneakier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way I just realized that the beam shot of the MiniMag stock reflector I posted above is not the stock reflector, it is an NX01 - forgot that I put that one in some time ago.

Harry Yep the Mag 2D reflector is pretty good. But too long to be incorporated in anything small like a minimag. The carclo however I think offers a nice trade off.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast